mtbr member
    May 2013

Need some DH/FR Help please!

Good evening guys, I am new to the forums.
    I was an avid DH/FR biker back in 2000 - 2004. I mostly did trails / north shore / drops / free ride, although I enjoyed the odd DH run.
    At the time I rode a bighit DH *Medium* then a Balfa BB7 *Medium*

After many years of being vacant from the sport I am now looking at getting back into the freeride scene.

I was looking at used DH Bikes and I can't believe how cheap they are these days! All of the oldschool DH bikes I knew and loved back in the day can be bought for a bargain today!

At least for this summer I am looking at getting back into the sport with a budget in mind. I don't wan to fork out more then about a thousand bucks.

I honestly have no Idea what the technological developments have been since 2005 or how the new gear compares to the old, but right now I'm only focused on picking up something that I know was a solild bike within my price range.

I am looking at 3 possible bikes currently.
    1 is the Intense M1 ( Looks to be in fantastic condition ) Priced right, however after shipping from the states *I was quoted about $220 through bike flight * I would be looking at just over a thousand dollars all in.

2 is the Santa Cruz V10. I can get the bike for around $750. + 70 for shipping, and possibly another 100 - 150 to get the bike tuned. ( I'm slightly concerned because the seller says the dorodos are leaking and may need new fluid / new seals.

3 is the Specialized demo 9. This is a local bike so I can look at it personally to see the quality, price will be a thousand bucks.

Given that all three of these bikes will cost me right around a thousand bucks, which would you recommend going with?

I really like the V10, but I'm concerned with the Dorado... I don't know if the shop can easily throw on different brand seals after filling it with oil and call it a day at a good price, or if it will be a nightmare and possibly cost me hundreds.

The Demo 9 I don't know much about. 888's and Demo 9's became popular after I was out of the DH scene.

Intense M1 is in superb condition and I loved it back in early 2000's, but compared to the V10 or Demo 9 it may be far out of its league.

Below are the three links.

I appreciate any opinions or help, also if you have any suggestions for another style of bike and what to look for let me know! I am going to make a deal sometime next week.

I'm 5"11 and 230LB.
    I will be around 195 end of bike season as I'm back on a diet

I also have two potential BB7's I can pick up for about a grand as well but nothing has been confirmed.

Again thank you for all of your help! I spent the entire day trying to google search comparison threads, read old reviews, tried to determine price to rebuild a dorado fork, possible concerns ETC but I have only been able to find pieces of information.

I am very excited however to get back into the sport! I'm even selling my honda S2000 so I can get a bigger vehicle that is more supportive of my active life style

2005 specialized demo 9 - Pinkbike

Intense M1 med - Pinkbike

Santa Cruz V10 (medium) 2004 with Dorado's - Pinkbike

DownhillBAWS
    I would take the demo or the m1.
    Just take off the silver part you'll still have the pretty anodized partion, and you'll ride much faster. As fast as a 29er!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Are you able to provide some additional feedback regarding why you would choose those two bikes over the V10?

As far as the V10, although I'm concerned about the Dorado, I'm not sure if it can be a simple 100 dollar throw in oil and re-seal. If that is the case I am still leaning towards that bike as I love the V10!

I don't know much about the Demo 9.

Any additional help will be fantastic guys, and thank you once again!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    bump

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I have previously owned the M1 and have rented the Demo. I would concur with jakester but more because of the mechanical issues. Who knows what's wrong with that rig (v10). In my experience, things that show wear at the time of a sale only get worse. Here's my logic:

1. The guy selling it is too lazy to have it fixed...what does that say about his time owning the bike? Likely rode it hard and put it up wet.

2. Unless a professional mechanic tells you otherwise, assume the problem with the fork is major. That way, when it is...you won't be disappointed.

As a side note, I loved my M1. I gave it to a kid in Whistler last year who was a stone cold shredder with no ride. I rode it everywhere and it never failed...battle tank.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Oh..I almost forgot...welcome back!

RideDirt
    WOW damn tough call man. I have NEVER seen such a clean bike regarding the M1 lol .. That thing literally looks brand new. Flip a coin between the Demo and M1.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thank you for all of your support and guidance. I am also starting to agree the M1 is a very pristine example of an old school DH and I should not pass up the opportunity!

The gentlemen selling the bike promised a local rider he would show him the bike on Sunday. If it doesn't sell I will pick it up! If it does sell I will check out the Demo 9.

I'm very excited to be getting back into the game! I'm also very glad to be apart of these boards, I have seen nothing but informative, supportive posts from all members when searching these forums and it shows you guys are a great group of people!

How many people on mtbr forums ride in Calgary Alberta?

Moose Member
    I retired My M1 last year, and have ridden 3 bikes since (one broke, one got stolen... now I'm on my current bike). After having 3 bikes since it, and having met tons of new riders in Utah and taking spins on their bikes, I can Say the M1 is still a great bike. It's a bit heavier than modern bikes, but not too shabby. The geometry is still pretty good too. Mine was tons of fun (I still have the frame. i'm going to hand it in my garage when I get my own house).

1 thing to check for that isn't a big deal, the shock bolts have been known to bend. You should be able to find a replacement bolt at a local hardware store for just a few cents if it is bent though. My lower shock mounting bolt bent, and the rear wheel would hit the seat tube when it bottomed out. Then I broke my shock and decided to retire the frame, but that's a whole other story. The shock breaking was unrelated to the bent bolt though. Bent bolts aren't a big deal, you'll just get some rub on bottom outs. Also, if you ever decide to buy a new shock, check forums and make sure you buy one that fits. I know that a lot of shocks don't fit the M1 well.

Have fun, stellar bike, you're going to love it!

Here's my old bike
    How I got it:
    Need some DH/FR Help please!-30326_124086597612366_342695_n.jpg

Risse champ was bad, so I got a 40, and sent the shock to Avalance
    Need some DH/FR Help please!-308927_269796673041357_513264752_n.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2013
    That was a beautiful bike! You must have had a blast with her.
    I wish I had pictures of my old bikes lying around. Oh well, time to start new memories!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Unfortunately the M1 sold
    However I'm heading down to look at the 2005 Specialized Demo 9 in a few hours! Since its a local bike I can actually test it out and check the components / suspension. If she is as clean as I'm thinking she is I will leave a deposit and pick her up next week!

I have to say, not a bad bike for a thousand bucks!
    I'm super stoked to get back into the scene!

Thanks again for your advise guys.

Hope to see you on the trails!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The Demo 9 was not quite what I was looking for. It looked heavily ridden, and after the money it will cost me to get heavier springs + tune up the bike I felt the over all price was to high.

Guess I'm back to the drawing board!

Moose Member
    Good for you though, waiting for a good sale, and not just hopping on the first thing because you want a bike. I have a few friends that were so desperate for bikes the bought the first thing remotely close and are regretting it now.

Keep us posted on your findings.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I've actually been re-visiting the Santa Cruz V10.
    I spent a great deal of time today talking to the owner. Mature older rider. Bought it 5 years back, and rode for about a year. Before he stopped riding he rebuilt the rear shock / upgraded the brakes and most components. He was in the final years of school for a physio therapist and just did not have time to ride any more.

He sounds like a good guy and I have a feeling the bike is actually in great shape. The leak in the Doroado HD is very slight and in the left arm only. I was able to talk him down on price a few hundred and he is willing to take $700 flat.

Since I can pick it up so cheap, once I receive the bike I will have my local shop give it a full tune, re-build the Dorado DH with different seals that fit and oil ( Will cost about 80 bucks ) as well as throw on a much stiffer rear spring as I'm a heavy set lad. All in I will be under a thousand buck which is what I budgeted for.

I have a good friend who lives in Vancouver, he is going to check out the V10 in a few days to check everything over once more.

Attached is a picture of the V10

I will also attach a picture of the front rim. The only blemish on the bike is a pinch in the front rim, however the owner told me it has never caused him any flats or issues. Please tell me in your opinion if it looks worse then he is describing. I may then pick up a used rim.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need some DH/FR Help please!-img_0082.jpg  

Need some DH/FR Help please!-img_0083.jpg  

mtbr member
    That's a big enough dent in the rim to be a concern.
    Looks like it could have a crack forming along the crease.
    Though, it could be an easy "fix" if there is no crack.
    A mechanic with the proper tool can straighten that ding/dent in a few minutes.
    Budget $50-$100 for a new rim, spokes, rebuild of the front wheel if you need to replace it.

RideDirt
    Yea that rim def looks beat . Check for any cracks on the frame or major dents .

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Man, I'm back to square 1. I contacted my local shop and confirmed pricing for re-building the bike from the box. Repairs for Dorado, heavier rear spring, full tune ETC. In addition to the price charged by the BC shop to take the bike apart, throw it in a box and then ship it to Calgary it just seems like to much. Over $400.00

I'm going to have to take my time and pray the right bike comes along!

RideDirt
    If you could bump up your budget it would help a lot and get you a better quality bike .. anything in your range is going to be older and probably beat up as most downhill bikes are . You could be lucky to find that good deal on a bike that wont need any repairs etc but you might be waiting a long time . Just thought I would share that.

mtbr member
    Here are a few MUCH newer bikes to consider that would certainly get you out on the trails/bike park for close to your budget.
    You can find examples of these for 1k-1,200 asking price and I've seen several go for 900-1k.
    Look at 2009/2010 Kona Stinkys and 2009/2010 Specialized Big Hits.
    The recent Big Hits are a far different bike than the BH you rode years ago.
    So, you'll likely end up close to your budget, but I bet you can find one that needs no real work.
    I also see Santa Cruz VP Frees in good condition with a $1k asking price as well.

2009 Specialized Big Hit 3 - Pinkbike

Kona Stinky Deluxe 2010 Med - Pinkbike

2010 Kona Stinky Garbanzo - Pinkbike

2010 Specialized BIG HIT 2 - Size: L - $1199 ONO - Pinkbike

Specialized Big Hit 3 - Pinkbike

Moose Member
    Good advice Norman.

Buying an older bike and having to pay to get it into safe running condition will probably cost about the same as the bikes Norman listed. I'd give them a pretty hard look. A lot of people on pinkbike don't mind dropping the price $100 or so as well.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I found my bike! Contacted the seller this evening and my buddy in Vancouver will be picking it up in about a week.

It is a SHOW ROOM Super 8! This owner bought it bran new, rode it for a season and hurt his back. It has been sitting in his basement ever since.

I loved this bike when I rode back in 2002.

Santa Cruz Super 8 - Pinkbike