mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Need more rise and closer - stem and handlebars

I want more rise and the bars closer to me. Looking for the shortest stem with or without rise (rise would be better).

Looking also for bars with lots of rise.

I have a Thompson stem - 0 degrees, 70 x 31.8

I run spank wide bars with 50mm rise.

Looking to go much higher and closer to me.

I've looked around and haven't found anything I really like yet.

Anyone have ideas?

Thanks for your help

Slap happy crappiness
    Need more rise and closer - stem and handlebars-khebikes-anchorv2chrome-2012-bmxbar-01.jpg

But seriously, finding a decent DH/FR bar in a rise higher than 50mm will be hard. Best I could find was the Azonic World Force bar that comes in 3in ride.
    Might wanna doing to review reading on the bar though, Azonic isn't known for high-quality stuff.
    Azonic World Force Bar: 31.8 - O'Neal Motocross
    Last edited by DHgnaR; 04-11-2013 at 03:34 PM.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

mtbr member
    Yep.

A few companies are making 35mm stems. Just know that as you shorten your stem, you also lower it. Maybe look for a 50mm stem with some rise. 50mmx10 degrees acts like a 40mm stem for reach but adds 10mm of height.

Atomlab is making a 3"x29.5" riser bar as well. If you want more than that Immortis makes some sick steel 32x4" riser bars but you'll have to use a BMX stem (22.2mm clamp) and it'll be really hard to find one shorter than 50mm. I've got them on my dirt jumper and they're solid but heavy, and I'm really tall so they work out fine with the short travel fork and short headtube.

Is your bike too small? If you're needing that much rise I might look at the bigger picture. Or maybe work on your flexibility. Or if it's a confidence thing, your technique if you feel too far forward and want to be farther back for confidence sake. Also on note for confidence, maybe play with your suspension settings to stay higher up in the travel? Increase rebound speed and dial in some more compression to combat fork dive and get the fork back topped out after big hits.

life on 2 wheels
    Apr 2012
    depending on your fork, the shortest option would be a direct mount stem, but ns makes a 40mm, answer makes a 35mm and thats about the shortest your gunna find stem wise. bars theres tons of options for a 3" riser but most of them are a 25.4 clamp. most 31.8 clamp max out at 50mm with a few exceptions. octane one makes a 3" 31.8

now if you really want to have the bars roll back but still feel somewhat comfortable, look into trials handlebars. v!z makes a 86mm rise 31.8 10 degree backsweep and 11 degree upsweep.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    never heard of DH width bars available with more than 40mm rise. maybe try some steer tube spacers underneath your stem? my stem is zero rise and combined with my short headtube, I added a 7mm spacer underneath to achieve what i was looking for.

Professional Troll
    NS Bikes makes a 3 inch rise 29.5" handlebar. They only come in 25.4. I run them on 2 of my bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I have a 30mm 6* rise Syntace Megaforce 2 NIB that I'd be willing to part with, if that is what you need.

Cannot help on bars though.