Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Need info on BlackMarket MOB frame or other DJ

3K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  HOFFMAN223 
#1 ·
I'm seriously thinking about building up an aggressive DJ/urban/park/trails bike because my big-hitter is just overkill down here in Miami. Miami is flatter than hell and my heavy long-travel rig just doesn't get put to use like it should. So...my question is....what's the word on the Blackmarket Mob frame. Is it all it's cracked up to be??? I really want to build something small, fast, and strong because, well, Miami and most of the surrounding area is paved, and what isn't, is just flat as I mentioned earlier. If nobody has info on the Blackmarket, I am certainly open to suggestions as far as Yeti, 24 bicycles, Azonic, Evil, etc. Any info will most assuredly help me out.

P.S. I already had the "big" bike before I moved to Miami, and I wasn't going to get rid of it. I won't be down here forever!!!

#2 ·
HOFFMAN223 said:
I'm seriously thinking about building up an aggressive DJ/urban/park/trails bike because my big-hitter is just overkill down here in Miami. Miami is flatter than hell and my heavy long-travel rig just doesn't get put to use like it should. So...my question is....what's the word on the Blackmarket Mob frame. Is it all it's cracked up to be??? I really want to build something small, fast, and strong because, well, Miami and most of the surrounding area is paved, and what isn't, is just flat as I mentioned earlier. If nobody has info on the Blackmarket, I am certainly open to suggestions as far as Yeti, 24 bicycles, Azonic, Evil, etc. Any info will most assuredly help me out.

P.S. I already had the "big" bike before I moved to Miami, and I wasn't going to get rid of it. I won't be down here forever!!!
do you want 24 or 26" wheels?

#4 ·
I am actually thinking about going 24" but am not completely sold on the idea. Also, because this is going to be a "from the ground up" project I have also been throwing around the idea of going single speed. I rode BMX for about 10 years, so the thought of going 24" singlespeed is interesting, but I do like big wheels and at least 8 speeds in the rear. I am always open to suggestions.

#5 ·
HOFFMAN223 said:
I am actually thinking about going 24" but am not completely sold on the idea. Also, because this is going to be a "from the ground up" project I have also been throwing around the idea of going single speed. I rode BMX for about 10 years, so the thought of going 24" singlespeed is interesting, but I do like big wheels and at least 8 speeds in the rear. I am always open to suggestions.
for 24" i think afew people (especially DHF'r... ;) ) would agree with me, a Nemesis.

:eek:

#6 ·
Nemisis huh? I am not very familiar with the brand. What is their story, and where can I find out more info. The more I think about this new project, the harder it is to control my enthusiasm, and it's driving my wife feakin' crazy, god bless nice bikes!!!

#7 ·
HOFFMAN223 said:
Nemisis huh? I am not very familiar with the brand. What is their story, and where can I find out more info. The more I think about this new project, the harder it is to control my enthusiasm, and it's driving my wife feakin' crazy, god bless nice bikes!!!
hmmm............. pm Evil4bc.

here's a few pics.

for some reason the unreal site isn't working for me, so i'll try to get more pics later.

#8 ·
Hey thanks for the pics. The bikes look incredible. The polished one is super nice, especially with that King headset giving it a little, dare I say, bling! I assume that the frame is steel. My other bikes are Al, but I would prefer this one to be chromoly. I tried the Unreal site as well and had no luck. If I could get some more info on Nemesis Project Cycles, I would definitely consider building one up. How does it ride? The chainstays look nice and short....sweeeet!!! How is the headangle? Steep, slack, or in between? Made in the USA? Butted tubing?

#11 ·
I've been enjoying the heck out of my Revell 250R. I ride mostly BMX so I went w/24's

It isn't the most exotic thing in the world but, gets the job done! Coming from BMX I really like the geometry: top tube: 21.0, chainstay: adjustable 15.75, head angle: 72.0 deg, seat angle: 71.5 deg.

I'm putting a 80mm fork on this week to steepen up the H/A.

If $$'s are no object, check out the rig a buddy of mine built!!

See more of Dave's Le Toy here https://www.unrealcycles.com/gallery_view.php?view=280

#13 ·
Wow, that's what I'm talking about, some serious equipment. The Revell is sweet and so is the 24. I subscribed to Dirt mag. about 2 years ago and have learned alot about compact hardtails and 24" wheels, hence my decision to go that route, at least with the frame. I still ride my 20" pretty regularly, but I think the new ride is going to be the best of both worlds. What I am most interested in is how they ride, and what are their personalities? I am looking for a short-ish rear end, quick steering, roomy cockpit with a nice steel feel without being too much like my 20". Does that make sense???

#16 ·
HOFFMAN223 said:
Wow, that's what I'm talking about, some serious equipment. The Revell is sweet and so is the 24. I subscribed to Dirt mag. about 2 years ago and have learned alot about compact hardtails and 24" wheels, hence my decision to go that route, at least with the frame. I still ride my 20" pretty regularly, but I think the new ride is going to be the best of both worlds. What I am most interested in is how they ride, and what are their personalities? I am looking for a short-ish rear end, quick steering, roomy cockpit with a nice steel feel without being too much like my 20". Does that make sense???
Well, then we have somethings in common. I still race both 20" and Cruiser ( 24" ) and DJ on a 20".

I built the Revell basically to commute on but, I wanted something I could still take to the track or trails and feel good on. After riding it for a few weeks I liked it so much that I decided to race our State Finals ( BMX ) on it in Cruiser. In practice I felt really good on it other that it was a bit tough to get out of the gate. Heavier and, a bit harder gear than what I'm use to. I could manual it better than my BMX bike though. I ended up winning first moto and the main. Not bad for the first time out plus the fact that this was a big race with some of the best/fastest guys in my class!!!

My buddy with the le toy is experiencing the same thing. He loves his, especially the rohloff speedhub .

#18 ·
HOFFMAN223 said:
Hey thanks for the pics. The bikes look incredible. The polished one is super nice, especially with that King headset giving it a little, dare I say, bling! I assume that the frame is steel. My other bikes are Al, but I would prefer this one to be chromoly. I tried the Unreal site as well and had no luck. If I could get some more info on Nemesis Project Cycles, I would definitely consider building one up. How does it ride? The chainstays look nice and short....sweeeet!!! How is the headangle? Steep, slack, or in between? Made in the USA? Butted tubing?
i'll let you know once i get mine on tuesday....

#19 ·
HOFFMAN223 said:

If you came from a BMX background you will love the BlackMarket. I've been riding one now since Feb. & still have nothing bad to say about it. Some people had concerns about the lack of tire clearance w/ 26's but the new batch of frames are going to address this w/ a 73mm shell b.b. & wider stays. I run 26's w/ a Halo Twin Rail 2.2 on the rear & have plenty of clearence. In case you care my gearing is 34/16, I am running the 21.5 frame & I'm just over 6 foot. I hope this helps you out.

#25 ·
SICK RIDES!!! I just converted my .243 from Trail mode to street/DJ mode. It's a super versatile frame that can handle a DC, if you're into hardtail DH or just poor.

Ben,

How is your Buddy's Rohloff holding up? If I ever get a real job, I want to get one of those beauties. The new steel 24 Cycles Moon looks sick too.

#26 ·
Sweet pics from everyone. I am super stoked that there are other people who dig the type of riding I grew up on and hope to do once more. This time, with a new rig and parts built for that sh&t. Keep the pics coming cause it just makes chomp at the bit even more. It's going to be a long-term project cause I have a family and I am going through engineering school, can you say no $$$$, but when I get it done, I will post that bad boy for all to see. Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions and help, I got everything I needed. Word!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.