mtbr member
    May 2013

Need help with a fork swap issue

So, a few weeks ago I posted this[1] question about swapping the Fox 40 from my older Morewood Izimu onto my new Specialized Status, and then using the Vengance that came stock on the Status on the Morewood. A few users assured me that it was possible with a simple headset swap.

Well, the service guy at my LBS told me that I need a new lower crown on my Fox 40 that has a 1.5" steerer tube, and that the Vengance just can't be used on the Morewood at all. But the bikes both have the same head tube specs.
    I wrote him this email after I left the shop.

*Hey Dude. So I looked at the specs again, and each of the two bikes have a 1.5" head tube, and each are 120mm in length. Shouldn't that mean that if you switch the headsets both forks should swap easily? There should be a 1.5 to 1-1/8" reducer in the headset in the Morewood which accommodates the 1-1/8" steerer tube on the Fox 40. Can you tell me why we can't just switch out both headsets and have the 40 work on the Status and the Vengance work on the Morewood? It seems like if both the head tubes are the same, a simple headset swap should do the trick for both bikes. Plus, after looking around, it appears that all Fox 40's come with a 1-1/8" steerer tube, and not a 1.5" tapered one. So you're expected to use a headset with a reducer, just like the one in the Morewood. A new lower crown shouldn't be necessary.
    So, it seems to me like a headset swap should work, but again, I am not the pro, so if it won't, can you please write me back and explain why? Let me know.
    Thanks.*

So, I'm bringing my question here to MTBR... Am I wrong here? Shouldn't it swap right over? They have both of the bikes, and it's been four days and the guy still hasn't written me back yet. I really like this shop, but I'm starting to doubt the service department. Can some mechanics or ex-mechanics tell me if I'm being too pushy with my tech? I don't want to be the asshat here.

Professional Troll
    Guy sounds like a moron. You just need a 1.5>1-1/8 reducer, not an entire new lower crown. If you already have that on both bikes, just swap the races (not the entire headset!) and you'll be fine. Headtube length has nothing to do with it as well.

Glad to Be Alive
    don't go to that shop ever again
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Proud lame eBiker
    This. This is why there's a hatred of the run of the mill LBS out there. What a knucklehead this guy sounds like.

Either he doesn't know jack about bikes, maybe just a salesman and not having a clue about how a bike is assembled? Or just plain ol lazy.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I wanted to complain to the manager, but it turns out this guy IS the service manager!! And it's Monday afternoon and I still haven't heard back from him.

Proud lame eBiker
    Horrible.

You don't state whether you left the shop with your bikes or not? If they're still there, go get them asap and don't bother bringing them back to that shop for service again. Maybe they're a fine shop for shooting the sh!t with and buying some supplies, but if that's the best mechanic they have on staff, it's not worth the risk in taking your bike there again for service.

Not sure where you are located, but there has got to be a better shop around than that one.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

My arm hurts a little
    You sure you weren't talking to some random standing in the bike shop?????

This right here is why I make sriracha do all my bike work.
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    tresspassing, thievery and poaching is all part of a DH'ers life