Thread: Neck Roll

mtbr member

Neck Roll

Hi to everybody !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Does anydoby have use a Neck Roll
    (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/S...arch=Neck+Roll)
    Does it works ?
    Ok i understand that it is not works as a Neck Braces but how much protection gives you?

Sorry for my english!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by demrgo
    Hi to everybody !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Does anydoby have use a Neck Roll
    (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/S...arch=Neck+Roll)
    Does it works ?
    Ok i understand that it is not works as a Neck Braces but how much protection gives you?

Sorry for my english!
    Your english is as good as many on here, don't worry about it.

I haven't worn either a neck roll or a neck brace - this is based on fairly limited observation.

I took my son (7) go-karting for the first time this weekend and alot of the other kids were wearing these.

It looks like the idea is the same as neck braces - to limit the amount movements of your head will push your neck beyond its limits.

I would be concerned though that the neck rolls do would limit your movements enough - they simply are not as thick as a neck brace especially to the back. I'd be worried that by the time the neck roll started to limit your movements, you would already have damaged yourself.

I wouldn't want to rely on one without having seen test results that would show otherwise.

Picture Unrelated
    I don't have any personal information to share, but I remember reading about this topic on Leatt's website, so I'll provide it as a point of information here.

Quote Originally Posted by Leatt's website
    Q: There are a lot of manufacturers producing soft neck protection options and claiming these are better for the rider. Is the Leatt-Brace® too rigid?
    Answer: It is interesting to note that to date we are not aware of the companies producing any of these soft brace products publishing any independent test results proving their marketing claims. In accordance to our published research, one of the critical aspects for reducing neck forces is to create an effective alternative load path. Our approach is that the more rigid the design, the lower the neck forces are. This of course needs to be balanced against other body structures so that the neck protection device doesn’t cause other injuries. In keeping with our philosophy, Leatt-Brace® was designed to offer the most rigid alternative path possible, but it is designed to fail in a controlled manner before other body structures such as the sternum and thoracic spine fails. When we began research and development, we extensively tested the complete and rigid systems and found the rigid system was the only system to reduce neck forces. We believe soft foam collar designs increase and prolong neck force values (for instance, bending momentum torque).
    http://www.leatt-brace.com/index.php?page_id=65&id=65

Again, this information is from a manufacturer of a competitive item, so take however you'd like.

I personally don't think the neck rolls will provide much help as they are not a rigid structure. They would probably be more effective in whiplash sorts of loading rather than direct impact where the foam would be continually loaded and therefore continually compressed to the point where it is no longer supporting the neck in a safe direction. The point of rigid braces is that they stop "deformation" of the neck and transfer forces to other, more durable places of the body.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?