Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    227

    NBR: Nikon D60 vs Canon Rebel XS

    I know this doesn't really belong in this forum, but I know there are a lot of guys in here that do good photography.

    I am looking for an entry level DSLR camera, and I was looking at the D60 or the Rebel XS. What do you think is better? I am going to go look at them tonight to see what feels better in my hands, has an easier menu, etc, but what has the better features and image quality?

    I will be doing all kinds of photography with it, wildlife, motorcycles, cars, mountain bikes, etc, so I want it to do good with moving and still objects.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,854
    To me they're more or less the same, I would go with the XS or if you can find a new XTi that could save some $$$ to be used towards a good lens.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    227
    Yeah, I've read that they are pretty much the same, and the deciding factor should be how it feels in my hands, and menu navigation...

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nocturnus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    569
    I'm a Canon freak and have been using Canon for 10+ years. So my vote.. Canon. I might be a little biased though.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    227
    Yeah, I think that is another thing it comes down to... people love Nikon and hate Canon, or love Canon and hate Nikon. lol

    I'm sure I'll be the same way, once I decide which one to get

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dropmachine.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    514
    Same bloody thing. Just get whatever you like the feel of.

    I do find the lower end Canons feel very small though, so if you're a big guy that might be a deciding factor right there.
    Stuff.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    227
    Hmmmm.... well to throw a kink into the plan, I may not be buying a camera. I may be getting a 2006 Rotec RL9.

    I think either way is a win/win lol.

  8. #8
    Capricious youth...
    Reputation: Prettym1k3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,819
    Nikon's D40 is a better camera than the D60 because the 10.2mp are crammed into the same 6.1mp sensor of the D40. So, in other words, your pictures are simply bigger, not more clear.

    A used D80 is the way to go. They have better AF points.
    Meh.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    227
    double post...

  10. #10
    e.f.f.e.c.t smoothoperatr
    Reputation: themarsvolta55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,303
    i have a small grasp on photography. i own a d40 and i am a pretty big fan of it, the only thing is the small megapixels( i think its only 7 or so ) but when set up correctly, its great!
    the only difference between the d40 and d60 as someone else has already mentioned, is the megapixels.

    so you can same some green, get the d40, and buy a better lens for it. the stock 18-55mm lens for the d40 is ehh.

    iv never used a canon before

    hope this helped

  11. #11
    Capricious youth...
    Reputation: Prettym1k3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,819
    www.bhphotovideo.com

    I got my D40 with the standard 18-55 and 55-200 for $500 shipped.

    The only addition that I've made beyond that is an SB-600 flash. Now I need an SB-800 or an SB-900 as a trigger.
    Meh.

  12. #12
    Now with More Wood
    Reputation: Iceman2058's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,980
    There can never be a reason based on any kind of features or facts to go with one over the other. All you do is pick the one that talks to you, and then you spend the coming 20 years vowing yourself to that brand, religiously.

    And probably, if you want to have a little fun on the forums, troll on over to digitalcamerareview.com (or whatever it may be called), and simply post up a new topic: "Sooooo, Canon or Nikon?". Then break out the popcorn and sit back and watch. (unless the guys there have gotten so tired of the topic that they've moved onto other, deeper issues, such as single-pivot vs. the multilinks or something...).

    PS. I'd really like to replace my D50 with a D80 or D90....one of these days, maybe. But I've gotten good mileage and fun out of my D50, it's a great value camera for the money it costs - I imagine the D40 is similar (better, actually). As previously stated in this thread, you may want to leave a little money for a better lense if you are going with the D40, the stock 18-55 is not really that great...

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: swaussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    272
    I sold my Nikon D70s (6mega pixel) to a mate of mine to upgrade to the D80 (10mp) thinking megapixels were the be all and end all. How wrong i was. He consistently produces far superior photos to me just because he has a creative touch. We both use the same lens but I am a point and click and hope kind of photographer, he looks for angles, lighting, what looks creative, etc and always gets a shot that I wouldnt have dreamed of.

    I imagine you could pick up a D70s pretty cheaply now and trust me, its an awesome camera if you want to learn!!

  14. #14
    Now with More Wood
    Reputation: Iceman2058's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,980
    Quote Originally Posted by swaussie
    I sold my Nikon D70s (6mega pixel) to a mate of mine to upgrade to the D80 (10mp) thinking megapixels were the be all and end all. How wrong i was. He consistently produces far superior photos to me just because he has a creative touch. We both use the same lens but I am a point and click and hope kind of photographer, he looks for angles, lighting, what looks creative, etc and always gets a shot that I wouldnt have dreamed of.

    I imagine you could pick up a D70s pretty cheaply now and trust me, its an awesome camera if you want to learn!!
    You are very right, it is possible to produce great photography with entry-level equipment these days, and better equipment isn't necessarily going to help you produce those special shots if you leave it on Auto all the time. I also have one of those friends who always manages to create a nice shot from pretty bland situations.

    The main reason I would be interesting in upgrading from the D50 is to get a higher quality sensor (meaning being able to shoot at higher ISO in tricky light conditions with little noise, for example), and faster continuous mode shooting, as well as a generally faster camera in other aspects (0.5 seconds between flash shots for example...). Also, the autofocus is quicker, more accurate, and thus less likely to make "mistakes" in the midst of the action....

  15. #15
    Capricious youth...
    Reputation: Prettym1k3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,819
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman2058
    There can never be a reason based on any kind of features or facts to go with one over the other. All you do is pick the one that talks to you, and then you spend the coming 20 years vowing yourself to that brand, religiously.

    And probably, if you want to have a little fun on the forums, troll on over to digitalcamerareview.com (or whatever it may be called), and simply post up a new topic: "Sooooo, Canon or Nikon?". Then break out the popcorn and sit back and watch. (unless the guys there have gotten so tired of the topic that they've moved onto other, deeper issues, such as single-pivot vs. the multilinks or something...).

    PS. I'd really like to replace my D50 with a D80 or D90....one of these days, maybe. But I've gotten good mileage and fun out of my D50, it's a great value camera for the money it costs - I imagine the D40 is similar (better, actually). As previously stated in this thread, you may want to leave a little money for a better lense if you are going with the D40, the stock 18-55 is not really that great...
    I had a D50. Had to sell it due to some financial reasons a few years ago. Now own the D40. D50 is, by far and away, a far superior camera.

    D40: 6.1mp.
    D50: 6.1mp.

    D40: No top-display read-out. Have to press info. button or look through the view-finder.
    D50: Has top-display screen.

    D40: Has 3 AF points.
    D50: Has 5 AF points.

    D40: Can only Auto-focus with the more expensive AF-S lenses.
    D50: Can Auto-focus both AF-S and AF lenses, so you can buy cheaper lenses and still have the same focusing capabilities.

    D40: Feels lighter, more compact.
    D50: Feels heavier, more like a "real" camera.
    Meh.

  16. #16
    Now with More Wood
    Reputation: Iceman2058's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,980
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettym1k3
    I had a D50. Had to sell it due to some financial reasons a few years ago. Now own the D40. D50 is, by far and away, a far superior camera.

    D40: 6.1mp.
    D50: 6.1mp.

    D40: No top-display read-out. Have to press info. button or look through the view-finder.
    D50: Has top-display screen.

    D40: Has 3 AF points.
    D50: Has 5 AF points.

    D40: Can only Auto-focus with the more expensive AF-S lenses.
    D50: Can Auto-focus both AF-S and AF lenses, so you can buy cheaper lenses and still have the same focusing capabilities.

    D40: Feels lighter, more compact.
    D50: Feels heavier, more like a "real" camera.
    My mistake. I assumed the D40 replaced the D50 in the line up. Anyway, like I said, I do enjoy my D50.

  17. #17
    Capricious youth...
    Reputation: Prettym1k3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,819
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman2058
    My mistake. I assumed the D40 replaced the D50 in the line up. Anyway, like I said, I do enjoy my D50.
    The D40 did replace the D50, or so they tried to do. I'm sorry, but the extra 55-200 lens they enthrew into the D40 package to sweeten the deal, doesn't make up for the things it lacks when compared to the D50. BUT, the D40 is still a great camera.

    Now... the D90 is great, but I'd still take a D200 in a heartbeat.
    Meh.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettym1k3
    I had a D50. Had to sell it due to some financial reasons a few years ago. Now own the D40. D50 is, by far and away, a far superior camera.

    D40: 6.1mp.
    D50: 6.1mp.

    D40: No top-display read-out. Have to press info. button or look through the view-finder.
    D50: Has top-display screen.


    D40: Has 3 AF points.
    D50: Has 5 AF points.

    D40: Can only Auto-focus with the more expensive AF-S lenses.
    D50: Can Auto-focus both AF-S and AF lenses, so you can buy cheaper lenses and still have the same focusing capabilities.

    D40: Feels lighter, more compact.
    D50: Feels heavier, more like a "real" camera.
    I would still recommend a d40 over the d50. Get the D40 with the new 35mm prime and a sb400/600 and you have a really good setup. Its small, light and cheap. (except for the flash)

    If you will be carrying it with you on rides you don't really need the "real" camera weight. I ride all the time with my D90 and a 50mm f/1.4 lens because of its light weight.

    The biggest advantage the D50 has is the ability to focus no afs lenses.
    If you are planning on buying multiple lenses you may want to take this into consideration.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    664
    Nikon vs Canon. Flip a damn coin. I'm a Nikon shooter, however if Canon's entry level cameras had a bigger grip when I was first starting I could have easily wound up a Canon shooter. They both have pluses and minuses, both make great cameras.

    As far as which specific model out of those two - neither. You'll get way more for your money buying a used body - a 20D/30D, D200 or even D80 (if you want to spend less).

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    227
    Well..... Nevermind.... Bought a DH bike instead.

    My new (to me) Rotec RL9

  21. #21
    e.f.f.e.c.t smoothoperatr
    Reputation: themarsvolta55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,303

  22. #22
    Capricious youth...
    Reputation: Prettym1k3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,819
    Haha. Good man.
    Meh.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: his dudeness's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,888
    The Nikon vs. Canon debate is a long standing one. For me it is all about what feels better in your hands and which controls are easier for you to use. Coming from a Nikon N80 35mm film camera switching to a D80 was just natural. The Canon's that I tried out (30d and 40d) just felt weird in my hands. But It is all personal preference.

    The higher end Canon's tend to be better for action shots due to the 5 frames per second burst versus Nikon's traditional 3 frames per second. But personally that doesn't really matter in the hands of a good photographer that knows his equipment well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •