Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Narrowed it down - Pivot Phoenix or Demo 8

Done a lot of searching and budgeting and lusting after bikes.

Choice now is a Pivot Phoenix (RC4 Kashima) or a Demo 8 (CCDB)

Money about the same, frame only, have boxxers and the rest to build it. What would you choose? Why?

mtbr member
    If it was just those two: Phoenix

mtbr member
    Why would you choose the Phoenix? The sturdiness of the bike appeals to me, as this bike will be my DH bike for a long time.....need something strong and reliable.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Phoenix, because it's not a Specialized.
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

mtbr member
    Lots of Demos out there, don't see as many Pivots. They are both great bikes, but I'd go Phoenix.

bike addict
    Jan 2004
    Id go phoenix, better pedalling.

DownhillBAWS
    I would go demo. Don't listen to all these guys who say "not the demo just because its a specialized" they are bias and stupid
    Just take off the silver part you'll still have the pretty anodized partion, and you'll ride much faster. As fast as a 29er!

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by jakester29959 View Post
    I would go demo. Don't listen to all these guys who say "not the demo just because its a specialized" they are bias and stupid
    Have you ridden both or are you just a Specialized fanboi with bad manners?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim F. View Post
    Phoenix, because it's not a Specialized.
    yup. call me stupid an biased, i'm ok with that.

pv

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    Have you ridden both or are you just a Specialized fanboi with bad manners?
    Have you ridden both and have input to offer (though you do have better manners)?

I've ridden neither. My buddy demo'd a Phoenix today here in, well, Phoenix. He was killing it and absolutely loved the bike. Was too small for me (it was a medium and felt really small), but it pedal'd really fantastic in the parking lot. Sizing did seem a little unusual to me, but I'm 6'2" and I don't believe Pivot offers an XL.

Lots of lots of people absolutely slay on Demos. To dismiss a very nice high-end frame because it's a Specialized seems lame.

All that said, I think it's hard to go wrong with most modern DH frames, as long as you can get the proper sizing.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Phoenix. Aside from the shitty nevergrips, I've loved demoing them. Those things accelerate so well, and the dw-link suspension is awesome. It's basically and IH Sunday. I'm considering swapping parts over from the Glory and getting one, just gotta justify the change.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

brake later, pedal sooner
    I buy based on looks, and the Demo looks cooler to me with all the extra metal linkages in the back end - so I chose Demo.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Have you ridden both and have input to offer (though you do have better manners)?

I've ridden neither. My buddy demo'd a Phoenix today here in, well, Phoenix. He was killing it and absolutely loved the bike. Was too small for me (it was a medium and felt really small), but it pedal'd really fantastic in the parking lot. Sizing did seem a little unusual to me, but I'm 6'2" and I don't believe Pivot offers an XL.

Lots of lots of people absolutely slay on Demos. To dismiss a very nice high-end frame because it's a Specialized seems lame.

All that said, I think it's hard to go wrong with most modern DH frames, as long as you can get the proper sizing.
    No, just trying to figure why he'd dismiss the Phoenix out of hand without an explanation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Out of them two, I would go the Pivot everyday of the week, because of the DW link.
    The DHR also has the DW link suspension, something to consider.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    actually, if canfield wasn't such an outstanding company and taken such amazing care of me, the phoenix was my number one choice. first, it just looks sick. plus, you can't argue with the dw-link setup. the two riding buddies with dhr's love them and the way the perform. very impressed with the dhr. i've heard from multiple say it is about as close to an updated sunday as you can get. my buddy with a sunday loves it and it clearly works amazing. both the dhr and sunday are outstanding bikes which the phoenix seems to be compared to often.

plus its not a specialized,,,

although as good as the dw-link is you can't argue with the horst (spelling??) link either. there is a reason why it has been attempted to be copied by so many. it is pretty much the standard by which all other suspensions are judged by. you can't actually go wrong with either bike. they will both rip and i'm guessing the vast majority of riders wouldn't be able to tell a big difference in performance. it really comes down to your personal preference and price. good luck.

pv

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Phoenix!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Heard some guys had problems with the Demo snapping shocks specialy CCDB. Dont want a frame where the shock is a structural part of the frames.
    Based souly on links I would also go the Phoenix route.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    After riding both bikes (and more than a few others), I bought a Phoenix.

The Demo was good and it had a playful character, but to me the Phoenix was on another level - I already owned a DW bike - so I might have been swayed as I felt comfortable instantly with the rear suspension.

The Phoenix pedals a lot better than the demo (not a big deal if it's steep), jumped / popped of lips easier and also plowed through the big hits smoother.

The two bikes are quite different, you really need to if possible, ride both and decide on that, ou'll be happy either way you go.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Phoenix!

but then I just might be slightly biased in this particular instance

bike rider
    I don't like the Demo's super short headtube or shock yoke (especially with the CCDB's skinny piston). I do like its semi-light weight and short chainstays.
    The Phoenix sounds almost perfect, though a little heavy.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I ride a DW DHR and used to ride a Sunday, so I'm a bit biased. I can say I've ridden a new demo but not a pheonix, comparing the ride to my DHR obvioisly I'm still a bit bias, but I obviously preferred the DHR. Just feels more plush than a demo, and more composed through the rough. The pheonix should ride similarly, judging by the apparent beefiness and dw link. I tend to like high end bikes by smaller boutique companies, something generally "rare" ,and the pheonix gets the bid in that department. There's a mystique that comes with owning a bike that you won't see many others of in the lift line or at the local trails. Looks are obviously part of the equation, and to me the pheonix crushes the demo in hat department.

Without you yourself getting to ride one its hard to make a choice I can imagine, you need to read all the reviews you can and make your own gut decision. Let's face it, nothing any of us could say can make you buy one or the other, its your choice.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Pivot is such an awesome company also. I've been to two demos, and both times, more than one of their employees actually engaged me in conversation more than just saying hi. Not to mention at the last one Chris Cocalis showed up and was parked right next to me, with a slew of Pivots on his bike rack. He said he liked my FB haha.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

mtbr member
    May 2005
    If you have to pedal even a bit, Phoenix is way to go. I demoed Demo few times, its a plow machine which is fine for DH race bike but its nothing more. Phoenix is racing machine which is fun the rest of the time which was much more important for me since I have no plans for racing. Did 30 miles rides on it
    I used to run tubes like you are, but then I got thorn in my wheel.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    It sure seems like someone oughta jump on this

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    Quote Originally Posted by Err View Post
    It sure seems like someone oughta jump on this
    If it was a large i would have.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast