mtbr member
    Aug 2010

narrowed it down to 2 bikes FR or DH

Well i think i have narrowed it down to 2 bikes, 2011 SX Trail 1 swapping out fork for '11 Fox Vanilla 180RC2 and rear shock with '11 DHX RC4 OR 2011 Demo 8 1 all stock. My only issue is which one to get. I like the idea of the SX for possibly riding it around local trails and Demo for the squishier ride for rollin down faster. I have rented a '10 Giant Faith 0 at Northstar and did quite nicely on it. I got a chance to ride the '11 Glory 1 for half a trail and it defiantly felt different but didn't ride it enough to get a feel for it. 99% of the reason for getting either bike is for riding at Northstar but obviously not year round so i would also ride it on other whimpyier trails when they arnt open.
    My question is, which bike should i invest it? I like the SX trail alot but don't want to regret the purchase, im going to northstar this weekend but there arnt any Glorys left to rent and there arnt any downhill bikes sold in my area to try any others. So any help is appreciated.

Pee's in the H8teraid
    I have a 2010 SXT. Put a RC4 on it and bought a Boxxer for it. The Boxxer specifically for days at N*.
    Put the Domain back on for local riding..
    Couldn't be happier really.
    SXT is a great bike.
    Demo would be sweet though.
    Tough decision...
    '10 SXT
    '10 Demo 8
    '09 Yeti DJ

mtbr member
    pedaling a demo uphill is murderous. If its for lift served only get a demo they're phenom. If your going to be pedaling the bike get an sx for sure. Or get two bikes....Demo and enduro!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yeah, there lies the problem...lol......I do have a hardtail that i will be riding non dh trails so i guess i should be leaning towards the demo but there is something about that sx that has got me hooked. I just get a little bummed that Northstar closes this weekend and isnt open until July so a demo will just sit alone for so long. But i did try to pedal that Faith up a hill and about died so maybe that was a sign from the bike gods...lol.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    How much different are these two bikes going to be? Like i said i wont be able to test ride them since it would have to be a special order for either bike. The closest i can come to them is riding Giant FR and possibly DH bike at northstar this weekend. What should i be looking for? Thanks

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    the Demo is a downhill race bike, with low and slack geometry, that is meant to go down gnarly steep stuff very fast. If you want to pedal trails, the Demo is not for you.

the SXT is more of a freeride, trail-DH type bike, that can be pedaled around much easier. Unlike the Demo, it'll take a front derailleur and can actually go uphill.
    I own the 2010 SX-Trail and love the ***** out of it.. but for Northstar, i'll always bring out my DH rig. The SX-Trail (especially with a bigger fork) can handle park riding without any issues. It is super fun on jumpy trails with tight corners, and overall it just feels like a mini-Demo.
    At Gnarstar, however, it's not going to feel as good as a real DH race bike.

So, evaluate what kind of riding you're going to be doing - and go from there.

mtbr member
    The sx trail is the perfect all around bike.

fdp for life
    I would agree that the sx trail is great all around bike. At least 2010 models and previous years. I have a 07 demo 7 I and have messed around pedalling with and without a front derailleur and let me tell you it was no picnic pedalling up even the smallest hills. The front der. helps but it is still difficult to get into a proper pedalling position due to the limited seatpost extension.

From what I understand the 2011 sx trail will be 180mm travel front and rear. And is in essence a replacement for the demo 7, which will be dropped from the lineup.

I am not trying to push you away from either the SXT or D8 they both look awesome, just don't expect an easy time pedalling them, even the SXT with front der.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your decision and enjoy the bike no matter which one you choose.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yeah, thats the same experience i had with the faith at northstar. I tried to pedal up a hill and immediately jumped off and walked it. I think i will go with the Demo 8 1 but i have convinced myself the get a '11 Fox 40 and Fox DHX 4 to make me feel better. Unless there are better bikes under $4k. But any recommendations would be appreciated.
    Last edited by meSSican; 10-14-2010 at 04:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Sxt Ftw.
    -Skimming the successpool of corporate America-

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    SXT FTW.
    If you plan on using the bike in a variety of conditions, then the SXT > Demo for sure. The SXT pedals reasonably well, not like a hardtail or an XC bike, but reasonable. Dial up the LSC for the climbs and you are all set. There is not much you can do on a Demo that you can't do on an SXT - even the really gnarly stuff. You can still do it, if maybe a bit slower. On most trails it will be fine, especially if the travel is being bumped up to 180mm. With a decent suspension setup, you don't really need any more than that for anything.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Techfreak
    SXT FTW.
    If you plan on using the bike in a variety of conditions, then the SXT > Demo for sure. The SXT pedals reasonably well, not like a hardtail or an XC bike, but reasonable. Dial up the LSC for the climbs and you are all set. There is not much you can do on a Demo that you can't do on an SXT - even the really gnarly stuff. You can still do it, if maybe a bit slower. On most trails it will be fine, especially if the travel is being bumped up to 180mm. With a decent suspension setup, you don't really need any more than that for anything.
    DARN YOU! lol..... i had made up my mind on getting the Demo but now i am back on the SX. You pretty much said what i felt/hoped about the SX and made me want it. I think i will stick with the SX I, add the Fox 36 Vanilla Rc2 1800mm and the DHX RC4. I think this setup will do me just fine and if not the next season i will just have to get a '12 Demo lol.
    Question, which would be better? The Fox Float 180mm or Vanilla 180mm for mostly DH runs?
    PS im a big rider 6' about 230 lbs if that matters.

mtbr member
    I think a lot of people often get caught up in the prestige and hardcore-ness of having a massive 20" travel DH rig with 3.7" wide tires. Honestly, DH bikes are great, but SO specialized (no pun intended). They're only good at one thing, and that is pounding down rough stuff. The Demo is a super good bike (Sam Hill?), but I've always disliked the feel of the heavier back end, and it can't be pedaled up a hill to save its life. The Glory does pedal a lot more like an SXT to me, but I admit my bias toward them. Shame you didn't get more time on it. A co-worker of mine has one built up at 36 lbs with a Totem, and he pedals it up even the biggest of hills without dying.

I've said it in other posts before, but if a rider is smart, picks good lines, and can finesse his bike with good technique, he/she can get away with easily with a bike that has much less travel than a full DH race bike. Look at Brian Lopes' win (again) at the Crankworx Air DH. He was on a 6.5" bike. Single crown fork. AM geometry. And he slaughtered everyone for the 5th time in a row. The bike was plenty strong enough to handle everything he threw at it, and he could still pedal it back up the hill if needed.

If you're determined to choose between those two bikes, I'd go SXT. It'll handle huge stuff, and you can actually ride it on terrain other than steep dh courses.

cough* glory cough*...
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i ride the freeride glory from a couple of years ago,rc66 fork. For dh it's just fine ,maybe i could go faster on a full on race bike with the fox dc 40,,but i do pedal around and play ride on trails so i went for the freeride bike mostly for the dual chainrings.Over the last year i've gone back to my shorter travel xc bike,and gotten really used to it, this makes the freeride bike seem big on my occasional dh excursion. Riding a cyclo cross bike on an occasional light trail brought me back to the smaller fs xc bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by meSSican
    DARN YOU! lol..... i had made up my mind on getting the Demo but now i am back on the SX. You pretty much said what i felt/hoped about the SX and made me want it. I think i will stick with the SX I, add the Fox 36 Vanilla Rc2 1800mm and the DHX RC4. I think this setup will do me just fine and if not the next season i will just have to get a '12 Demo lol.
    Question, which would be better? The Fox Float 180mm or Vanilla 180mm for mostly DH runs?
    PS im a big rider 6' about 230 lbs if that matters.
    Personally, I'd go coil, even though air has come a really long way in recent years. You will need a stiffer spring for it right off the showroom floor. I run a Totem coil on my 6" bike and it is brilliant. It replaced a Lyrik air - which is now on my hardtail. Both are great forks, but for DH, the coil is better.

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos
    Look at Brian Lopes' win (again) at the Crankworx Air DH. He was on a 6.5" bike. Single crown fork. AM geometry. And he slaughtered everyone for the 5th time in a row. The bike was plenty strong enough to handle everything he threw at it, and he could still pedal it back up the hill if needed.
    You make some good points in your post, but this is not one of them. Lopes won Air DH on his AM bike because it was on fuking A-Line - a far cry from a real DH trail. Last weekend he was spanked at Northstar by a no-name local pro (go TK!) who was on a DH bike. Lopes, being his usual hardnuts self, raced that trail on his AM bike.

Sorry Brian, DH bikes have a specific purpose, and I don't care how many 4X titles you have or how smooth of a rider you are, don't bring a fork to a knife fight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blender
    You make some good points in your post, but this is not one of them. Lopes won Air DH on his AM bike because it was on fuking A-Line - a far cry from a real DH trail. Last weekend he was spanked at Northstar by a no-name local pro (go TK!) who was on a DH bike. Lopes, being his usual hardnuts self, raced that trail on his AM bike.

Sorry Brian, DH bikes have a specific purpose, and I don't care how many 4X titles you have or how smooth of a rider you are, don't bring a fork to a knife fight.

Critique taken. Yeah, I don't like Lopes at all personally. He's very often an arrogant jerk, but I gotta admit he is a pretty good overall rider. I'd never EVER try to insinuate that he could keep up with the likes of Peat and Hill on a full DH course, whether on a 6" bike or a DH sled. He's just not that good at full DH racing. And true, A-Line isn't anywhere near a DH course, so it was quite doable on his Ibis, but a lot of his competition were running full DH bikes. I guess what I was trying to say in my post is that he didn't need a dual crown DH machine for even the fairly rough section toward the end because he rode smart and had chosen a good line. Gnarly DH is a different story. Even to enter a DH race like N* on an AM bike and finish with a respectable time requires skill. But it is possible to ride most of that stuff on an SX trail type bike without destroying the bike. That's all I was trying to say.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    the newest sx trails are really slack on the HT like 65 degrees. that should take some pritty gnar trails. your delemia is if how often you ride at N* warrents buying a demo, but the sx is quite a versitle rig. i would recomend that.

mtbr member
    Put a Boxxer, 888 or a 40 on a Marin Quake series bike, you rip the DH and pedal up and around all day.
    Pedalshop.com also on Facebook
    Marin - Transition - Santa Cruz - Cove...

mtbr member
    There's no mistaking that DH race bikes are no-compromise lift access rippers designed for riding down, but anyone who says they can't be pedaled up/around is just a little *****. Running a 32t in back with a reasonably sized chainring and a seatpost that isn't 3" long will allow you to pedal just about anywhere an XC or AM bike will go, albeit a bit slower.

If riding DH and doing a bit of racing is your forte, then do yourself a favor and get the bike that will be the best for that discipline. Suffer on the climbs and reap the benefits on the DH. Better yet, get the race rig and then a cheap and steep hardtail for the JRA. Once you learn to rip the hardtail and pick smooth, fast lines you'll be primo on the race bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Looking again at the specs and tech info on the new SX, there is no doubt that it would be the bike I'd go for. 170/180mm is a LOT of travel. In fact, the new SX is slacker (66*) and beefier than the old one. Versatility can't be beat. Unless you are racing all the time, don't bother with a Demo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yeah, I don't see my self "racing" anytime soon. I will be riding N* about 3-5 times a month next season but would like to be able to do a bit more riding here and there in the off season. I do have a HT that i ride climbing trails and such but would like to do a bit more with the bike that i will be buying to ride N* since they are open 4 months of the year and dont want my bike collecting dust in the off season. I think that the SX may suit me better and basically i just want a bike that i can ride there and enjoy it without worrying about picking the easiest way down. I took the Faith down some pretty gnarly stuff there and had no problem. I just dont have any experience with this style of riding and was not sure. I figured when i get faster and better then i can get a DH specific rig and use the SX to get me to that point.

Pin it to win it
    Aug 2008
    I just went through actually the exact same choice about a week ago. I sold my Sunday and was looking at either a Demo or SX Trail.

Ended up going with the SX... dedicated DH bikes like the Demo are great for racing and for going as fast as possible down super steep gnarly stuff. But they are not nearly as fun on flowy trails, tight trails, jump lines, etc etc -- at least in my opinion. I'm not sure yet if I'm gonna run a Boxxer or Totem on it.. but either way it'll be able to take on much more than I will.

And for the occasional race that I do, I really doubt it will hold me back much at all. And even if it does... who cares? I'm not looking to be super competitive and I'd rather have the bike that is more fun to ride 99% of the time.
    Speed has never killed anybody. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you.

www.danwalkerphotovideo.com

JRR
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    How does the Big Hit compare to the sx trail.Is it like the enduro is to the pitch.Im looking to get one if it rides and climbs like the sx trail.For $2000 list its seems like a good deal I just want to be able to ride local trails can anybody compare?