Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

My 2012 Marin Team DH Build

21K views 108 replies 29 participants last post by  rep_1969 
#1 ·
I will add pics as parts arrive.

See less See more
#30 ·
Man I am bummed! 13 weeks since my Chris King order and still NO Hubs. I shouldn't be that upset it's still January but Dam, 13 weeks for some Mango DH Kings seems like a bit much. I will post more pics as soon as I have more parts I swear. The wait is worse for me. :mad:

#31 ·
Well since I have some time to kill I'm going to be getting some raw Twenty6 Predator pedal bodies from Tyler at Twenty6 and having them powder coated to match my Frame and then I'm sending them back to have them assembled with Mango traction pins and lazer etched. Gonna be Sick!!!

Attachments

#36 ·
Dudes I'm trying! 13 weeks since order day and still NO HUBS!!!!!! I'm going crazy. Trust me it's WAY worse for me. I still can't ride it until the snow melts so I guess I shouldn't really care but I just want it done already. :cryin:

Like I said at the beginning of this thread, the orange cranks came with the frame so I decided to just play that theme out. Tyler at Twenty6 components was nice enough to suggest that I get blank pedals and get them coated to match and have him assemble them after so I thought I might as well, they will be One Of a Kind for sure.

#47 ·
Those hubs are going to be a while. I ordered CK hubs last year, they promised a 3 week turnaround. Four weeks later the shop I ordered them fom called to check the status...and after CK stringing me on for two months, I cancell the order and ordered a set of Dee Max from Price Point. I confirmed they had them in stock, and had them 3 days later, delivered on a Saturday afternoon no less. Felt bad for taking away a sale from the LBS, but had a felling Mavic would do the same as CK.

At least you have time on your side. Just take any delivery date from Cris King with a grain of salt.

#39 ·
Yep that's me 13.9lb. Niner Guy. It's Crazy, even over 2 years later when I'm out riding somewhere, anywhere people stop me and say, Hey, hey, hey, is that the bike from mtbr? I say yes and then they ask, No the 13lb. Niner? It's so cool when people say, Man it's crazy that you actually ride that thing and hard. I would never build something tyhat I couldn't beat the crap out of. This is my 5th. full DH build but wait till you see my Sub 17lb. Niner Jet RDO build. I'm shooting fo the worlds lightest full squish, geared 29er.

Man I've got way too many Irons in the fire. I also have a 400whp Miata that's always in need of More Boost!:thumbsup:

#40 ·
Did you say Miata? Post that one too when you're done! I was really into Miatas (always on Miata.net) until I got into bicycles, so my car has been somewhat neglected. Still have it, just don't drive it enough... maybe because it has 1/3 the horsepower yours does... lol!

Attachments

#43 ·
Sorry about Jacking my own thread but...........

Yeah I have the 2.0L FM Stroker with Wiesco pistons, Carillo H-beam rods, ARP main and head studs, ported and polished head, 5 angle valve job, Supertech 1mm oversized intake and exhaust valves with titanium retainers, FM dual feed fuel rail, ID 1000cc fuel injectors, Walboro 255 fuel pump, HKS 272 cam, Garrett GTX3071 Turbo, Begi SS manifold, 3" downpipe and exhaust with Magnaflow 3" muffler, Mazdaspeed 6spd trans, Torsen LSD with 3:63 ring and pinion, ACPT Carbon driveshaft. Mazdaspeed axles, Afco coilovers, Sport sized NAPA rotors and Powerstop pads with SS brake lines, HKS V-Pro ECU, Harddog rollbar with Door bars, Sparco Sprint 5 seat and Sparco harnesses, Sparco Ring suede steering wheel and a lot of stuff that I forgot about.

It was Crazy Fun at 300whp but now over 400whp it's Kinda Scary, Kinda. ;)

#50 ·
Nice, 310whp '02 Bugeye wagon owner here, STi engine swapped (still need tranny and Brembo's!). Street tires auto-x setup currently but thinking about going the opposite way and going fully rally.

And OP, 400whp on that little thing is scary fast. Very nice car.

#49 ·
Well it's STILL NOT my Chris King hubs but I got tires. I talked to King today and they're waiting to build a color matched set for me. They have both the hubs I want but the anodizing is slightly different so I'll keep waiting. Here are my tires, 2.4" Trail Kings.

Attachments

#52 ·
Thanks D. Rallycross is getting pretty big here in Texas so an AWD car may be in my near future. If it was closer to Summer I would go with different hubs but I figure they have 16 more weeks before the thaw so I'll keep waiting.

Yeah 400whp is Crazy in my car. I had it corner weighted and it was 2276lbs. It's still really fun at 300whp but spinning at 80mph is just Scary.

#53 ·
I think those tires have the "protection casing". Perfect for using that bike on jumps and smoother trails cuz they're a lot lighter than DH tires but for rocky trails at speed you'll have to run a lot of pressure and might still get casing cuts. Expect to buy some true DH dual ply tires for real DH riding.

#54 ·
Yeah I have a bunch of true DH tires but I got these from the shop I ride for for FREE and those are always fun to get. I'll try them around here and Austin but I don't think they'll make the trips to AngelFire, Brian Head or Whistler this summer.

#56 ·
Yeah I've raced XC there since the early 90's and ONLY ridden SS there since 1998. Tough and Fun on a rigid SS but better on a 29er. than a 26er. rigid SS for sure.

Sometimes I go to Austin to train DH at Emmalong and I used to train at BullCreek until the hippies got it closed for some beetle. The Toy's 'R Us DH trails on the Austin Greenbelt are still there they just need some TLC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.