Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkock View Post
    Well it's STILL NOT my Chris King hubs but I got tires. I talked to King today and they're waiting to build a color matched set for me. They have both the hubs I want but the anodizing is slightly different so I'll keep waiting. Here are my tires, 2.4" Trail Kings.
    Same line they feed me.
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

bike rider
    Thanks D. Rallycross is getting pretty big here in Texas so an AWD car may be in my near future. If it was closer to Summer I would go with different hubs but I figure they have 16 more weeks before the thaw so I'll keep waiting.

Yeah 400whp is Crazy in my car. I had it corner weighted and it was 2276lbs. It's still really fun at 300whp but spinning at 80mph is just Scary.
    I got some pretty decent Niners!

bike rider
    I think those tires have the "protection casing". Perfect for using that bike on jumps and smoother trails cuz they're a lot lighter than DH tires but for rocky trails at speed you'll have to run a lot of pressure and might still get casing cuts. Expect to buy some true DH dual ply tires for real DH riding.
    Keep the Country country.

bike rider
    Yeah I have a bunch of true DH tires but I got these from the shop I ride for for FREE and those are always fun to get. I'll try them around here and Austin but I don't think they'll make the trips to AngelFire, Brian Head or Whistler this summer.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Have you ever ridden Cameron Park in Waco?
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

bike rider
    Yeah I've raced XC there since the early 90's and ONLY ridden SS there since 1998. Tough and Fun on a rigid SS but better on a 29er. than a 26er. rigid SS for sure.

Sometimes I go to Austin to train DH at Emmalong and I used to train at BullCreek until the hippies got it closed for some beetle. The Toy's 'R Us DH trails on the Austin Greenbelt are still there they just need some TLC.

bike rider
    Chain came in. KMC X10SL DLC Black. This thing is gorgeous but the pic doesn't do it justice. Shame it's going on a SingleSpeed DH bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My 2012 Marin Team DH Build-004.jpg  

Braugh Bro.
    Why get a 10speed chain for a singlespeed bike?

bike rider
    8 speed chains are the strongest, longest wearing option for singlespeed MTB. I use KMC's X8.99 on my XC bike. No hollow stuff and fancy treatment but wider, thicker, and theoretically stronger and longer lasting.

GAME ON!
    i would imagine that a singlespeed chain would be the best option for singlespeed? it's wider and thicker than 8 speed.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

bike rider
    I run this chain on my Niner A9C with the same ring and cog and on my wife's Niner with the same ring and cog and I'm really only going to be coasting like I did last Summer and It's Black and Light! Fashion over function, always. I am a hair stylist.

Braugh Bro.
    They make fancy looking single speed chains too.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    i would imagine that a singlespeed chain would be the best option for singlespeed? it's wider and thicker than 8 speed.
    A singlespeed chain, ala BMX or beach cruiser uses different cogs and chainrings. Getting those mounted on an MTB hub and crank could be a challenge. Most MTB singlespeeders want to be able to use standard MTB gears. An 8 speed chain is the widest, thickest that fits standard MTB 8, 9, 10 speed gears.

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    A singlespeed chain, ala BMX or beach cruiser uses different cogs and chainrings. Getting those mounted on an MTB hub and crank could be a challenge. Most MTB singlespeeders want to be able to use standard MTB gears. An 8 speed chain is the widest, thickest that fits standard MTB 8, 9, 10 speed gears.
    a single speed chain fits on a regular chainring and cog, both of which fit on regular cranks and regular hubs.
    RIP Adam Yauch

Braugh Bro.
    1/8th inch chains fit on 7/8/9 speed cogs with no problem. Never dealt with one on a 10speed cog, so I don't know about that.

but when building a single speed bike from scratch, on this sort of budget, wouldn't it make sense to get all singlespeed specific parts? may as well have what will work best and last longest.

bike rider
    I have a few other singlespeeds including my 13.9lb. Niner Air 9 Carbon and I run this chain on ALL of them and I have since it came out so I think it's going to be fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My 2012 Marin Team DH Build-img_3571.jpg  

bike rider
    Well I finally got a response from Chris King. When I told them that I placed my order on September 13th. they were like, "Whaaaaaaaaat? Let me see what happened." They promised me that they would be here this week so hopefully I get my wheels built up next week. Building them myself and don't know whether to go all black spokes or 2 white spokes around the valve. We'll see what happens.

bike rider
    Got my AtomLab AirCorp pedals painted to match until my Twenty6 Predators get done. Yeah, extra pedals for Whistler!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My 2012 Marin Team DH Build-img_2131.jpg  

mtbr member
    Looking good! I love the over the top color matching! That's exactly what I would do if I didn't have a budget for my bike builds. Plus we all know blue and orange are complimentary colors so the color scheme is tits! Can't wait to see the final build pics!
    Buy a f-ing bike maybe you wouldn't be fat

bike rider
    Thanks unknown. King finally said that they were shipping my hubs so they should be here next week. FOX 40 is on the way and then it's just bolting it together. I can't wait to stretch it's legs.

bike rider
    Well here they are, my Chris King DH hubs!!! They got here on February 29th. after being on order since September 13th. 2012. I'm gonna build the wheels next week if I can find the time and now the wait for my FOX 40 starts. Should be here soon but that's what King told me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My 2012 Marin Team DH Build-kings-.jpg  

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkock View Post
    FOX 40 is on the way and then it's just bolting it together. I can't wait to stretch it's legs.
    No matching paint on the lowers?

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    No matching paint on the lowers?
    i was going to ask the same. blue lowers with orange decals.
    RIP Adam Yauch

bike rider
    No. I have some (Marin Blue) Marin stickers for it though. We'll see if they go on or not.

bike rider
    A few shots of some little stuff. Parts of Passion cassette lockring and Easton Havoc 35 Direct Mount stem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My 2012 Marin Team DH Build-001.jpg  

My 2012 Marin Team DH Build-002.jpg  

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast