• 01-22-2013
    Tim F.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mattkock View Post
    Well it's STILL NOT my Chris King hubs but I got tires. I talked to King today and they're waiting to build a color matched set for me. They have both the hubs I want but the anodizing is slightly different so I'll keep waiting. Here are my tires, 2.4" Trail Kings.

Same line they feed me.
  • 01-22-2013
    mattkock
    Thanks D. Rallycross is getting pretty big here in Texas so an AWD car may be in my near future. If it was closer to Summer I would go with different hubs but I figure they have 16 more weeks before the thaw so I'll keep waiting.

Yeah 400whp is Crazy in my car. I had it corner weighted and it was 2276lbs. It's still really fun at 300whp but spinning at 80mph is just Scary.
  • 01-23-2013
    Lelandjt
    I think those tires have the "protection casing". Perfect for using that bike on jumps and smoother trails cuz they're a lot lighter than DH tires but for rocky trails at speed you'll have to run a lot of pressure and might still get casing cuts. Expect to buy some true DH dual ply tires for real DH riding.
  • 01-23-2013
    mattkock
    Yeah I have a bunch of true DH tires but I got these from the shop I ride for for FREE and those are always fun to get. I'll try them around here and Austin but I don't think they'll make the trips to AngelFire, Brian Head or Whistler this summer.
  • 01-23-2013
    StuLax18
    Have you ever ridden Cameron Park in Waco?
  • 01-23-2013
    mattkock
    Yeah I've raced XC there since the early 90's and ONLY ridden SS there since 1998. Tough and Fun on a rigid SS but better on a 29er. than a 26er. rigid SS for sure.

Sometimes I go to Austin to train DH at Emmalong and I used to train at BullCreek until the hippies got it closed for some beetle. The Toy's 'R Us DH trails on the Austin Greenbelt are still there they just need some TLC.
  • 01-27-2013
    mattkock
    2 Attachment(s)
    Chain came in. KMC X10SL DLC Black. This thing is gorgeous but the pic doesn't do it justice. Shame it's going on a SingleSpeed DH bike. ;)
  • 01-27-2013
    Buggyr333
    Why get a 10speed chain for a singlespeed bike?
  • 01-28-2013
    Lelandjt
    8 speed chains are the strongest, longest wearing option for singlespeed MTB. I use KMC's X8.99 on my XC bike. No hollow stuff and fancy treatment but wider, thicker, and theoretically stronger and longer lasting.
  • 01-28-2013
    saturnine
    i would imagine that a singlespeed chain would be the best option for singlespeed? it's wider and thicker than 8 speed.
  • 01-28-2013
    mattkock
    I run this chain on my Niner A9C with the same ring and cog and on my wife's Niner with the same ring and cog and I'm really only going to be coasting like I did last Summer and It's Black and Light! Fashion over function, always. I am a hair stylist.;)
  • 01-28-2013
    Buggyr333
    They make fancy looking single speed chains too.
  • 01-28-2013
    Lelandjt
    Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    i would imagine that a singlespeed chain would be the best option for singlespeed? it's wider and thicker than 8 speed.

A singlespeed chain, ala BMX or beach cruiser uses different cogs and chainrings. Getting those mounted on an MTB hub and crank could be a challenge. Most MTB singlespeeders want to be able to use standard MTB gears. An 8 speed chain is the widest, thickest that fits standard MTB 8, 9, 10 speed gears.
  • 01-28-2013
    saturnine
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    A singlespeed chain, ala BMX or beach cruiser uses different cogs and chainrings. Getting those mounted on an MTB hub and crank could be a challenge. Most MTB singlespeeders want to be able to use standard MTB gears. An 8 speed chain is the widest, thickest that fits standard MTB 8, 9, 10 speed gears.

a single speed chain fits on a regular chainring and cog, both of which fit on regular cranks and regular hubs. :out: :confused:
  • 01-28-2013
    Buggyr333
    1/8th inch chains fit on 7/8/9 speed cogs with no problem. Never dealt with one on a 10speed cog, so I don't know about that.

but when building a single speed bike from scratch, on this sort of budget, wouldn't it make sense to get all singlespeed specific parts? may as well have what will work best and last longest.
  • 01-29-2013
    mattkock
    1 Attachment(s)
    I have a few other singlespeeds including my 13.9lb. Niner Air 9 Carbon and I run this chain on ALL of them and I have since it came out so I think it's going to be fine.
  • 02-05-2013
    mattkock
    Well I finally got a response from Chris King. When I told them that I placed my order on September 13th. they were like, "Whaaaaaaaaat? Let me see what happened." They promised me that they would be here this week so hopefully I get my wheels built up next week. Building them myself and don't know whether to go all black spokes or 2 white spokes around the valve. We'll see what happens.
  • 02-08-2013
    mattkock
    1 Attachment(s)
    Got my AtomLab AirCorp pedals painted to match until my Twenty6 Predators get done. Yeah, extra pedals for Whistler!
  • 02-09-2013
    unknown-rider
    Looking good! I love the over the top color matching! That's exactly what I would do if I didn't have a budget for my bike builds. Plus we all know blue and orange are complimentary colors so the color scheme is tits! Can't wait to see the final build pics!
  • 02-09-2013
    mattkock
    Thanks unknown. King finally said that they were shipping my hubs so they should be here next week. FOX 40 is on the way and then it's just bolting it together. I can't wait to stretch it's legs.
  • 03-02-2013
    mattkock
    1 Attachment(s)
    Well here they are, my Chris King DH hubs!!! They got here on February 29th. after being on order since September 13th. 2012. I'm gonna build the wheels next week if I can find the time and now the wait for my FOX 40 starts. Should be here soon but that's what King told me. ;)
  • 03-02-2013
    Lelandjt
    Quote:

FOX 40 is on the way and then it's just bolting it together. I can't wait to stretch it's legs.

No matching paint on the lowers?
  • 03-02-2013
    saturnine
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    No matching paint on the lowers?

i was going to ask the same. blue lowers with orange decals.
  • 03-02-2013
    mattkock
    No. I have some (Marin Blue) Marin stickers for it though. We'll see if they go on or not.
  • 03-03-2013
    mattkock
    2 Attachment(s)
    A few shots of some little stuff. Parts of Passion cassette lockring and Easton Havoc 35 Direct Mount stem.
  • 03-06-2013
    saturnine
    even your blue mat matches the bike. this build is either going to be hideously revolting, or it will blow my mind.
  • 03-06-2013
    csermonet
    Matt - In the first post of the thread you have a picture of some bolts, some colored and some titanium. Where did you get them? Looking for similar bit of kit for my bike
  • 03-07-2013
    mattkock
    saturnine, I'm hoping for a little bit of both.

csermonet, I used to get all my Ti and Alloy bolts from Racebolts.com but lately it's been eBay and Torontocycles.com
  • 03-11-2013
    mattkock
    1 Attachment(s)
    Not a Bike part but it's going to Whistler with us this summer. GoPro Hero3 Black Edition!:D
  • 03-11-2013
    PhaseSpace168
    Denver Broncos colors!
  • 03-14-2013
    mattkock
    1 Attachment(s)
    I've had these for a while but I didn't post a pic so here they are, my brake rotors. (to be attached by Ti bolts of course)
  • 03-14-2013
    rep_1969
    And the worlds longest bike build goes on, and on, and on!! :thumbsup:
  • 03-14-2013
    csermonet
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rep_1969 View Post
    And the worlds longest bike build goes on, and on, and on!! :thumbsup:

lolol don't know how he can handle it. Must have many other distractions
  • 03-14-2013
    saturnine
    title is misleading; this is now a 2013 build. possibly 2014
  • 03-14-2013
    vmps
    Re: My 2012 Marin Team DH Build
    Quote:

I've had these for a while but I didn't post a pic so here they are, my brake rotors. (to be attached by Ti bolts of course)

Are you opposed to stopping?
  • 03-15-2013
    mattkock
    Sorry but I can only build as fast as parts come in and YES it's killing me. It shouldn't because I'm not going DHing until June and then July but I still want it finished.

MY King hubs were ordered on September 13th. 2012 and delivered on March 2nd. 2013 and now I'm only waiting on my FOX 40 fork and then it will be done.
  • 03-27-2013
    mattkock
    1 Attachment(s)
    Well it's SO close now and wheels should be done tomorrow and then the Tuning begins!
  • 03-28-2013
    ron m.
    Purdy! It's gonna suck when you lay it down for the first time, but then it'll be fun immediately after that! Finish that sucker already!
  • 03-30-2013
    mattkock
    OK so this is Not a Joke. While building my wheels on Wednesday my wheel builder had a (Cardiac Event) not a heart attack but close. He was rushed by ambulance to the hospital and in the ICU until Friday. We are all wishing him a speedy recovery. He's still in the hospital today but should be home tomorrow.
  • 03-30-2013
    Pädi
    Quote:

OK so this is Not a Joke. While building my wheels on Wednesday my wheel builder had a (Cardiac Event) not a heart attack but close. He was rushed by ambulance to the hospital and in the ICU until Friday. We are all wishing him a speedy recovery. He's still in the hospital today but should be home tomorrow.

Why would it be a joke? O_o
  • 03-30-2013
    Lelandjt
    All the color matching was just too much for his fragile heart to take? Did you request a twist lacing pattern alternating orange and blue spokes with alternate color nipples?
  • 03-31-2013
    mattkock
    Nope just black spokes and orange nipples on orange King hubs and color matched blue Flows. Like I said before the color combo was not my choice I just went with it. I can't wait to get it to Whistler.

If anyone wants to ride together I'll be in AngelFire NM in June and Whistler in July.
  • 03-31-2013
    Lelandjt
    I'll be in Angelfire in June for the Big Mountain Enduro. My DH bike will come along.
  • 03-31-2013
    mattkock
    Sweet! Well you won't be able to miss my bike so come up and say Hi.
  • 04-03-2013
    mattkock
    Well my wheel builder will be in the Hospital for at least another 3 weeks so I'm taking my wheels to someone else to get built. He's got a good reputation in town so we will see.

Our thoughts and Prayers go out to Sean and his family. Get better soon buddy!
  • 04-03-2013
    saturnine
    doesn't he know that you need your wheels built? god, some people just don't put their business first.
  • 04-04-2013
    mattkock
    I know right! He's back home and doing Great thank goodness, he's a Great guy. I'm doing my wheels myself with some help from an actual wheel builder and the rear is done and mounted and the front will be done tomorrow and the pics will be up tomorrow night. First ride will be this Sunday. I'm super stoked!!!
  • 04-05-2013
    danglingmanhood
    Color scheme is pretty sick, I want to see that sucker when its finished.
  • 04-05-2013
    mattkock
    1 Attachment(s)
    Your Wish is my command!!! Friday April 5th. 2013 and she's done!!! Let the ribbing begin. And No those are not my DH tires. Those are my (cruising the XC trails of Houston Texas on my DH bike tires.)

I want to thank Marin bikes, Fox shocks, Greenfields, Easton and of course John for the wheel build.
  • 04-05-2013
    danglingmanhood
    Sweet man!