mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Muddy Mary vs. Minion DHF

I thought I was pretty set on the Minions, but I've been seeing quite a few Muddy Mary's running around. Can anyone tell me how they compare? Will I notice a difference?

I also see Schwalbe has introduced the Magic Mary, which I guess is supposed to be a 2.35 lighter weight version of the Muddy Mary (?), anyone think these are a good bet?

Too many options with so little cash

mtbr member
    Try a search - volumes of info on this: Maxxis Minion DHF vs Schwalbe Muddy mary

Have FUN!

G MAN

PS - Magic Mary too new to compare but is supposed to improve the hardpack cornering that the Muddy Mary had a slight weakness for. Also Schwalbe's prices have been "prohibitive" for me to consider them any longer.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    So I found the Magic Mary for $40 in the DH wire bead. The Vertstar and Trailstar super gravity are both $90, so am I essentially paying an extra $50 a tire just to save 100g? Or is there a vast difference in performance between the DH and Supergravity?

Uphill? What's that
    I personally don't care for the muddy Mary tires. Only because of the area I am in. They work well in soft soil but most of the trails I ride are hard packed and rocky. Muddy Mary's just don't seem to hook up very well on large rocks, I think it's because of the large treads . So its really a matter of what type of trails you ride. My personal favorite tires are the continental der baron and der kaiser. Best tires I have ever ridden.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
    So I found the Magic Mary for $40 in the DH wire bead. The Vertstar and Trailstar super gravity are both $90, so am I essentially paying an extra $50 a tire just to save 100g? Or is there a vast difference in performance between the DH and Supergravity?
    The DH version is a true dual ply sidewall and will be 2-300 g heavier than their single ply versions. The Super Gravity, as I understand it, is their new technology to stiffen and toughen up the single ply sidewalls for gravity use - squarely aimed at the Enduro crowd with more money than sense. I've used the DH versions of their Big Betty rear and Muddy Mary front on my DH bike and that setup works well but the weight is crazy and no way would I put them on a bike I have to pedal back uphill.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!