mtbr member
    Jan 2004

MTB to moto - hard time ?

I rode moto's in my teen's (125 - 500cc 2 strokes) Started riding mountain bikes 10 years ago in my mid 30's. More than half my co-workers ride moto's now so I said what the heck I can now afford a moto and gear. I figured I would be able to descend quite well on the dirt bike because mtb and descending go hand in hand. Well I don't think I have ever felt so out of place facing downhill in all of my 10 years on a mt. bike or my teenage years on a dirt bike. I felt like a XC racer w/ a 410mm seat post all the way up ! Has being able to get behind the seat of a mtn bike ruined me for a dirt bike ? I tried sitting, standing, leaning back and tried to carry an even momentum but I felt super uncomfortable on anything but the easiest of hills. Any advice / observations before I ditch the moto ? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Make sure your suspension and sag are set for YOUR weight.Taller bars?use a lower gear and less rear brake?
    codafurnituredesign.com

mtbr member
    Just keep riding. You can get your weight plenty far back on a dirt bike and the geometry suspension and tires on a dirt bike all add up to being able to tackle much harder terrain.

The things that I noticed when I got back into it a few years ago after also not riding since I was a teenager, but riding mtbs since 1981 constantly, is the it takes a lot more upper body strength than a bicycle. I had to get back into the gym to be able to do it. Also initially when I was riding hard trails I was like 'no way can I ride that' but after a while you realize that you can do amazing things with a modern dirt bike.

Mtbs and dirt bikes go hand in hand I think. When I was doing both all the time they each made me better at the other. And talk about a workout! If riding hard I can go so much longer on a bike than a motorcycle before I'm full body worn out.

Unfortunately the local riding area closed down so I haven't been able to ride dirt bikes for a couple of years without major driving. So I'm back to just pedaling. : /

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I had to replace the fork springs for my weight and the rear sag was in the ball park w/ the oe spring - XR 400. I installed CR Hi bars before my first ride as I am 6'4". I think to properly set the bike for my height I'd need a different upper triple clamp setup , lowered pegs etc. I'm pretty sure if I spent a lot of time in the saddle I would progress but w/ work, kids etc. dirt biking would only happen less than a dozen times a year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I been harescramble racing for 14 yrs as an A rider & very competetive. Just recently got a good MTB & feel like a C rider trying to ride it. I can relate to some it beeing the same but its a learning curve. It is deff gone to get me in tip top shape I can tell you that.

Chubby Chaser
    I've never ridden dirt bikes but I've ridden sportbikes for a few years and supermoto for about a year. I can tell you that after doing some jumps and turns on the dirt it does NOT go hand in hand with mountain biking. You're talking about a 250lb machine where a lot of the movement of the bike is controlled with your throttle and a 30lb bicycle where every part of your body is involved to make the bike go fast on technical descents.

Your body positioning is not going to be as crucial on a dirtbike IMO, throttle control and rear brake manipulation is what dictates a lot of your movement. Just my 0.02 cent.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Goes Boing View Post
    I've never ridden dirt bikes but I've ridden sportbikes for a few years and supermoto for about a year. "dirt it does NOT go hand in hand with mountain biking"

Fail

Some things can be analyzed theoretically but apparently in this case it doesn't work.

When doing both regularly in the same season there were direct crossover benefits. No debate.

Go ride in the woods for a year then report back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by modifier View Post
    Fail

Some things can be analyzed theoretically but apparently in this case it doesn't work.

When doing both regularly in the same season there were direct crossover benefits. No debate.

Go ride in the woods for a year then report back.
    His statement was valid for someone w/ little dirt experience as an initial impression, as is yours to more experience. Both valid perspectives. I will say, hanging out in some of the dirt forums, there is a bit more tolerance of idea's and opinions before someone is "failed".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    His statement was valid for someone w/ little dirt experience as an initial impression, as is yours to more experience. Both valid perspectives. I will say, hanging out in some of the dirt forums, there is a bit more tolerance of idea's and opinions before someone is "failed".

His statement is valid if you believe he doesn't actually need any real world experience with what he's talking about for it to be of value. Otherwise it is not.

I said noting about mountain biking skills crossing over to street bike or supermoto skills or the reverse and he clearly states he has no dirt bike experience.

It would be like me saying, I've never ridden one but 29er bikes handle like crap and despite your having ridden them for years you saying they handle well is WRONG.

Sometimes I just can't handle the crap on Mtbr as well as other times.

mtbr member
    I mentioned this sensation when switching back over to my moto in this thread about converting from mtb to moto.

Definitely a different feeling. Bike set up (bars pegs etc) and proper sag will lessen the awkward sensation but it is just a bit different technique.

No worries though. Like someone else said, with the right technique you can get back far enough. With 63 deg HA, lots of trail, and 12 inches of suspension you don't need to be dragging your butt on the rear tire to avoid going OTB on most steeps.

Having said that, I'm more comfortable going down a super steep cliff or chute on my mtb than my moto now. Maybe it's because I ride mtb way more these days. Maybe it's because you can get right down on the rear wheel... or maybe it's simply because I'm a spaz on a moto.

maker of trail
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post

Having said that, I'm more comfortable going down a super steep cliff or chute on my mtb than my moto now. Maybe it's because I ride mtb way more these days. Maybe it's because you can get right down on the rear wheel... or maybe it's simply because I'm a spaz on a moto.
    Having riden dirt bikes a long time ago (XR600/CR250's etc) they are machines built for quite different purposes, one goes like a scaled cat, can drift at 100kmh+, fly through trails at mach stupid, devour rough stuff at speed like nothing else, the other, the mtb, is way slower, far more agile in technical terrain and far more dependant on rider position to achieve this.

IMO the place moto and DH cross over is dealing with high speed riding, wide open trails, drifting corners, long floaty jumps etc.

Don't expect a dirt bike to ride steeps like a DH bike, thats not what they are for.

mtbr member
    I've gone down rocky muddy steep twisty stuff on my dirt bike I wouldn't think of touching on my mountain bike. It's almost controlled falling. Scary but doable.

I remember one downhill section of a trail I road all the time that was steep and littered with good sized fixed and loose rocks and then at the bottom you had to go between 2 trees the the bars barely fit through as you made the 150 degree turn then back up a hill. Slow steep rocky single track. Made it every time.