SILENCE! I KILL YOU!

MRP System 3 and SB-3 compatibilty problem with Saint and SLX cranks

Why is the System 3 and SB-3 with the guide ring not recommended for the newer Saint and SLX cranksets, according the MRP website? Is it due to the different spider? Or are there any interference on the guide ring and the crankarm itself?

I am looking at them as a high-quality replacement for my battered chainguide but I don't like the extra weight of a Party Crasher bashguard, for compatibility's sake.

Will there be the same problem if I decided to use the E13's SRS or SS+ guide?
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

Glad to Be Alive
    get the new MRP G2...saves weight and is really easy to set up
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    I kinda like the old-school look of the System 3/SB-3, but the G2 is almost 2x the price of the LG1 here, which is very strange.
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I think it has to do with the spider.
    For the record I didn't have any trouble fitting an E13 guard to my SLX, but fitting the SLX guard on hussefelts required a little bit of filing on the guard.

Former Ninja
    Jul 2005
    The issue with Saint/SLX are that the crank tabs are ~5mm thick versus ~3.5mm thick for most normal cranksets. Of course, the additional thickness is designed for strength but it severely limits your bashguard choices. The additional gap between the edge of the chainring and the bashguard can be enough to wedge the chain in there theoretically.

An LG1 style system doesn't use the edge of the bashguard as part of the retention system, and is therefore the better choice if you want a chainguide.

I should also mention that the stock Shimano bashguard (36T) used the same outer diameter as our Turbocharger bashguard...it may be possible to use them together, however I havn't tried.

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    My buddy uses the DRS, and he is now using the Shimano bashguard from the SLX. His only problem was with the bolts, which he had to purchase at the LBS.

and Mr. Phil, is the SS+ and the SRS almost identical?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by philw86
    The issue with Saint/SLX are that the crank tabs are ~5mm thick versus ~3.5mm thick for most normal cranksets. Of course, the additional thickness is designed for strength but it severely limits your bashguard choices. The additional gap between the edge of the chainring and the bashguard can be enough to wedge the chain in there theoretically.
    Not theoretically, the chain does get wedged between the ring and the guard on both the SRS and the Gamut when used with their accompanying bash guards.

Former Ninja
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by suicidebomber
    My buddy uses the DRS, and he is now using the Shimano bashguard from the SLX. His only problem was with the bolts, which he had to purchase at the LBS.

and Mr. Phil, is the SS+ and the SRS almost identical?
    Dimensionally identical. I would still recommend an LG1+/LS1+ if possible.