Beyond the stars

Mountain Cycle San Andreas DHS question ?

I have an 02' Mt. Cycle San Andreas . . . I was using it as a trailbike and got a better trail ride, so I'm "beefing" up the Mt. Cycle for Ski Resort riding . . . I was running 2.1 tires, but I just installed my new set of 2.4 tires . . . now I can't use the small chainring in the front because the tire hits the front derailleur . . .

Anybody have this problem, seen this problem or have any Idea's on how I can retain the use of 3 chainrings in the front??

Should I . . .

Dump the small ring and get a 2 ring chainguide . . .

Get a 24 inch rear wheel and tire . . .

Just don't use the small ring . . .

Use a different derailleur . . .

Get a 2.35 rear tire . . .

Bike has a Fox Vanillia 125R on the front and Mavic 223 rims (I don't think that matters, just so you know my setup and use)

thanks for your suggestions

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a 2001 SA and originally set it up as a freeride/shuttle bike with 2 rings up front and dual 26's. If your bent on having 3 rings you could always take a hot knife to the knobs that are rubbing against the derailleur.

I recently switch to a 24/26 set up and it's worked out great. It dropped the BB down a bit, and also made for a slacker HT angle (which is a bit steep to begin with for the type of riding you plan on doing) When combined with a 7" travel fork (White Bros. DH2). I also went with a single ring up front, but that's just personal preference. With the 24" rear, I can fit a 2.7" High Roller with plenty of room to spare.

Beyond the stars

Thanks . . . I was thinking about using that setup but . . .

I got laid off from my job AGAIN (man this economy sucks) anyway so money is tight or non-existant as the case may be. I like the 3 rings because the bike is a "P-I-G. pig" it was pushing 32 lbs when I had the 2.1's but now I'm sure it's 38 to 40 them tire is HEAVY.

Using the 24 rear would be a good idea, the Bottom Bracket clearence is not an issue this bike has great clearence so if it dropped a little no big deal, and to slacken' the head angle more would be a great benefit for how the bike rides on the steeps, two problems with that . .

One, I ain't got the cash for a Drodao DC 180 which is what I want, I like the fox it's a nice riding fork and it's only a couple of years old so it still feels nice.

Two, I'd have to get a new front wheel 'cause of the 20mm front axel or at least a new hub (again, it's a cash thing) and that Dual Crown "Bumper" thingie from Mt. Cycle.

I looked at it again and I might be able to adjust it so I can still clear but maybe not, I'll give it a try and see.

Anybody have any experience with 2 ring chain guides??

D

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

wide tire clearance on MC San An - easy cheap fix!

Dude: easy fix: get a longer bb. I rode an MC San Andreas with both a Nokian Jr. 2.6 and an Intense 909 2.7 in back without front derailleur rub. I ran a 73x118 bb (I run 8 speed), and fiddled with my derailleur a bit, and presto - big tire in back. You might try an extra spacer between the freewheel and the rear cassette if the longer bb causes any problems with chainline, but it worked for me. Good luck!

Beyond the stars

Sounds good, but . . .

Thanks for the longer bottom bracket idea, it sounds good but, I am running a 113 (I think) and I already have problems with chainline. If I were to go to a 118 (5 mm wider) I might clear up front, but my chainline problems (which are just about passable right now) might get a lot worse (I'm running a 9 speed)

The bike is getting heavy with those tires on there and because most resort riding is done at above sea level, and I live at sea level I need all the help I can get.

I tried to "fiddle" with the front deaulliear but that didn't work, just couldn't move it enough.

I'm thinking 24 rear wheel, or maybe a 2.3 tire or a nice 2 ring chainguide??? I don't know what to try next?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

24 inch rear wheel

Quote Originally Posted by DJBiker
    Thanks for the longer bottom bracket idea, it sounds good but, I am running a 113 (I think) and I already have problems with chainline. If I were to go to a 118 (5 mm wider) I might clear up front, but my chainline problems (which are just about passable right now) might get a lot worse (I'm running a 9 speed)

The bike is getting heavy with those tires on there and because most resort riding is done at above sea level, and I live at sea level I need all the help I can get.

I tried to "fiddle" with the front deaulliear but that didn't work, just couldn't move it enough.

I'm thinking 24 rear wheel, or maybe a 2.3 tire or a nice 2 ring chainguide??? I don't know what to try next?
    Maybe it's just the 8 speed that makes the 118mm bb work with my triple chainrings.

I really wanna go with a 24 inch rear wheel for downhill riding, 'cause I can set up a 3 inch tire, and it will be stronger and will set my back end down a bit. I'm thinking of buying a rim and spokes and building one up with a spare rear xt disc hub, but unrealcycles.com sells a Halo Combat SAS (36 spoke, double eyeletted, with like a 36mm rim) for about $125 shipped. Anyway, sorry I'm rambling. Good luck with the project bike - I've nicknamed my bikes as the never-ending upgrade. - Kelly

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I was experiencing the same problems, and ended up buying a set of Race Face Atlas cranks and playing around with the front derailleur cable tension. The cranks came with several 1mm chainline spacers, and allowed me to space everything out to within a gnat's ass. The long and short of it is that I now have exactly 2mm of clearance between my 2.3 rear tire and the front derailleur. I'm a big guy, so flex in the rear end manifests itself in the occasional tire/front derailleur rub, however. Alas, the shifting is just where I like it, so I'm not changing anything else. Good luck!