mtbr member

Moto pants? True to size shorts for a beer and chicken wing guy?

I need some new pants and shorts for that matter. Thinking of getting some moto pants, but I never bought any before and I don't want to look or feel like some wanna be pro dork boy, hacking down the trail. I've been wearing lycra short under regular shorts and jeans for a couple of years now. Needless to say I've trashed a few pair of shorts and jeans, so I think it's time to buy a proper set of pants and shorts that will last as well as protect. Most likely I will be buying online so I'm trying to find what short and Moto pant manufactures sizes are true to fit. Any recommendation will be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Fox is a good bet.
    They have their fit blocks pretty dialed.
    Fox has a bit more room for the given size and a more consistent fit across several garments in the same size than many other vendors.
    TLD makes some great stuff, but their sizes/fit are different across several garments.
    I can wear the TLD moto stuff, but buy the same size in bike and it's often tight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    My friend has a pair of Fox Demo shorts and he says they run a bit smaller and have a slimmer fit. I have a couple pair of Nema Podium shorts in 36 and 38 and they run a bit on the bigger side and are roomy. I recently went with a pair of Royal Racing Turbulence shorts and they are nice and roomy, although not as tough as say a Moto or Nema short. Alot will have to do on what size you need but most of the shorts will have a bit of leeway (sp?) either way.

mtbr member
    Fox makes great riding apperal. Moto pants are good but get really hot and can be way more expensive. I rock cutoff jeans.
    2013 Specialized P 26 AM green/purple. Nuff said

Giant Faith

mtbr member
    They don't have to be that expensive:

Dirt Bike Pants, Jersey, Glove Combos | Motosport

I bought the Fly Kinetic jersey-pants-glove combo for $70. My buddy initially teased me about being a pajama boy the first time, and then said he had a similar one he wears for races. I bought a size up (pants) and wished I didn't because they were a tad loose. Surprisingly, they'r not a hot to wear as I'd thought.

Slap happy crappiness
    Go to a moto shop near you and try them on. They all fit different, even within the brand.
    I wear a 36 in Levi's, 38 in Fox trail shorts, 38 in TLD GP line, 36 in TLD Sprint and SE lines, and in Royal stuff I'm a 36.
    Best to try em on before you buy.
    And FWIW, I like TLD stuff best, they make an all black short/pant if you don't wanna look like a clown, an plenty of options if you do.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.