Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Most Powerful Brake on the Market?

So what's the most powerful brake out there? I know I'm going to get a lot of personal opinion but I like to know if anyone actually has used different brands/styles and found one to be superior.

Right now I'm running Formula The Ones. They are great and haven't had any major issues with them but I'm thinking of moving them over to the trail bike and picking up something new. From my general browsing it seems the three most popular choices are The Ones/R1, Saint/Zee, and the hope V4s. I know there are pluses and minuses for each but right now I'm just looking mainly for pure power and how noticeable the power difference is from one to the other. Specifically when compared to the ones since that is my reference.

In the name of full disclosure, I am leaning heavily towards the V4s and are close to pulling the trigger but just wanted to get opinions from people that don't have such rose colored glasses on at the moment. So don't just tell me what you think I want to hear! Thanks as always.

PV

mtbr member
    For stupid power at all times, Hope V4 with the vented 203mm rotors. Not light or subtle but probably safe for re-entry from space.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Formula RO

mtbr member

Re: Most Powerful Brake on the Market?

mtbr member
    I'm 6'3" and 250lb without gear. I have the Hope V4 with a Hayes 228 MM "V9" front disk. Its stronger than any other combination I've seen in person.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The R0s have 124 Nm and the Hope Evo V2 had 120Nm.....Curious as to how much the V4 would have. Surprised that the Saints had only 104.

mtbr member
    Formula have had the most powerful brakes for many years now. If you really need to try something new, I'll take your Ones off your hands!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Uphill? What's that
    The V-4's are powerful but they also have great lever feel and modulation..They are also one of the easiest brakes to bleed. No special tools required.

mtbr member
    Never ridden the V4s, but Saints are dang powerful, and they have great feel to me.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post
    Never ridden the V4s, but Saints are dang powerful, and they have great feel to me.
    and super easy to bleed...and if anything goes wrong pretty much every bike shop has parts for them
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I think parts availability is the biggest advantage to the Saints and the biggest issue with the Hopes. Then again I have to pretty much order any parts for the Formulas as well. But that is pretty standard fair in AK, especially for anything "DH" related. Sorry G Man, If I try something else, I'll be keeping The Ones. They will be replacing the trusty Hayes Nine's on the trail bike. From the dyno results I'm guessing it would be difficult to tell much real world difference between 120 and 124 Nm. Plus I thought the V4s were claiming more power than the V2s?? Bet they are all in the ballpark. I'm still really liking the Hopes... Thanks for the replies.

Uphill? What's that
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    and super easy to bleed...and if anything goes wrong pretty much every bike shop has parts for them
    You must have some awesome bike shops out west..Here in western ,PA your lucky if you can find a bike shop that even carries brake pads.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Bob View Post
    The V-4's are powerful but they also have great lever feel and modulation..They are also one of the easiest brakes to bleed. No special tools required.
    I don't doubt you could bleed them without special gear, but I got a "bleed kit" for them from Jenson USA. It has a bottle for fluid, various adapters for use on different hope models screw to the cover you take off on the handle to put fluid in, and a hose that you connect to a car tire at low PSI and uses the air pressure from the tire to push everything through the system. I just used a loose spare tire from one of my boat trailers for simplicity. It was pretty straightforward to use and made the levers very "snappy" on the release compared to the factory bleed.

Uphill? What's that
    Quote Originally Posted by lobster_CT View Post
    I don't doubt you could bleed them without special gear, but I got a "bleed kit" for them from Jenson USA. It has a bottle for fluid, various adapters for use on different hope models screw to the cover you take off on the handle to put fluid in, and a hose that you connect to a car tire at low PSI and uses the air pressure from the tire to push everything through the system. I just used a loose spare tire from one of my boat trailers for simplicity. It was pretty straightforward to use and made the levers very "snappy" on the release compared to the factory bleed.
    That bleed kit is for old school Hope brakes. All you need to bleed V-4s is a small open ended wrench a torques screw tip, a piece of plastic tubing that you can pick up from any place that sales aquariums and an empty plastic bottle to catch the old fluid.
    Watch their instruction videos on their website..
    I can bleed my brakes in about 10 minutes and it's perfect the first time, every time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    i wouldnt read to much into that bikeradar test if i was you guys,,, its a uk based mag, and they are always very biased towards uk based companies, after all hope always take out big doubble page adverts in their and their sister mags, so i guess it seems you can buy good publicity, anyways thats not the question or the issue here, so back on topic...
    from both my brothers and my own personal experiance, we have found, both formula the one, and shimano saint to be the best performing most powerful feeling brakes that we have ever used.

PULL
    I don't agree with that bikeradar test from a real world testing perspective. I have both XTR and Saint brakes on my bikes and my XTR's on long downhills get a bit sketchy being 215+. The Saints have never left me feeling like this ever. I feel the bite from the Saints is much stronger/solid compared to the bite on the XTR brakes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by meSSican View Post
    The R0s have 124 Nm and the Hope Evo V2 had 120Nm.....Curious as to how much the V4 would have. Surprised that the Saints had only 104.
    Where did you get those figures? I'd like to know what The One's tested at. That's pretty awesome that the 2 piston R0's had more power. I have The One's and was considering the Tech 3 V4's one day, they just look so damn sexy. But if those figures are true, the R0's will be my next brake.

edit: Just looked at the Bike Radar article. My Ones are 121, wonder if the 124 R0's would be noticeable. Or if they have more modulation or something.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I have had The One's and now RO's and saints.
    I weigh 215lbs before getting dressed. The RO, in my opinion are much more to my liking than the saints as I feel they have more power and they bite exactly where I want them to. The saints win, hands down in maintenance. I would rather sell my RO and buy another pair than deal with bleeding them (not going to as it would be cost prohibitive). The shimano brakes take 5 min to bleed. I am still working on them to get them exactly the way I like them. The RO's on my trail bike are dialled and I love them. I just wish that they were as easy to bleed as shimano.
    Hope that helps!
    Eric

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoManerz View Post
    I don't agree with that bikeradar test from a real world testing perspective. I have both XTR and Saint brakes on my bikes and my XTR's on long downhills get a bit sketchy being 215+. The Saints have never left me feeling like this ever. I feel the bite from the Saints is much stronger/solid compared to the bite on the XTR brakes.
    There's a big diff between bite and stopping power - the 4 piston design of the Saints has more surface area as do the pads so you need to take that into the equation! More surface area = more friction and LESS power needed for the same stopping distance!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Bikes are good
    I just ran Hope V4's with the vented 203 up front at Whistler. Lots of oh $hit moments I'm pretty sure those brakes saved me in. First dh bike brakes to be fair, but been riding a long time. Faster you can stop, faster you can go.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Hopes are sick twice the brake of SAINT for the same price. They are adjustable, have much better modulation and more power.

The other option if you are going weight weenie is to look at the new Magura MT7 they are about 200 grams less than the HOPE per brake!

Magura MT7 Next Disc Brake Front

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Hope V4's are the best brakes I have ever used, period. As powerful and as controllable as anything out there, better built and better to maintain (no BS). I don't even know what they weigh, because I don't care.

Just stock up early on parts. Have some pads waiting if you need them and maybe some banjo o-rings and fittings. Formula parts are stupid expensive, and you're not going to find a Shimano lever or master cylinder kit or caliper piston seal at any old bike shop.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    The power ratings they give are an average over 15x 3 second applications with 10 seconds in between. I would like to see the high and low values for each one too, just to see which have the best thermal management.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Track down a Magura Gustav on the used market, it's pretty much a motorcycle brake that was adapted for bicycles. If the Gustavs aren't powerful enough then nothing is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ianjenn View Post
    The other option if you are going weight weenie is to look at the new Magura MT7 they are about 200 grams less than the HOPE per brake!

Magura MT7 Next Disc Brake Front
    Why do they (and Hope for that matter) continue to make those lame long levers for two finger braking??? Formula and Shimano have it right for one finger braking!

Have FUN!

G MAN

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast