Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Now with More Wood

Good job! The Morewood Zuza Action Pic Thread

Well,

since there isn't really a Morewood forum, I'm afraid you're gonna have to put up with it in 'ere...

It all starts with the build:

Exciting day today. It involved a bunch of frames waiting at the LBS/Morewood importer, and also me running around a bunch of places during the day, building a wheel here, converting a hub there...it all came together like clockwork and at the end of the day the new rig was ready to ride!

What's in the box:

Morewood Zuza, size L, black
    Boxxer Race 2010
    Code 2008
    Halo Freedom Rim
    Minion DHF/DHR dual ply 2.5
    Hope Pro II front and rear
    Saint 2009 dual ring cranks (170mm cranks)
    New SRAM X9 rear deraileur medium cage, X7 front
    New X7 shifters.
    PG990 cassette
    PG991 chain
    Spank Spike 777 bar low rise (cut down to about 740mm)
    ODI lock on Ruffian
    Truvativ direct mount stem 50mm
    Hope Hed Doctor steerer cap
    Hope headset spacers
    Cane Creek double XC flush 1.5" headset ("hidden" internal bearings).
    Hope seatpost clamp
    Truvativ shiftguide (with the top guide block cut off, won't fit the frame)
    DMR v12 pedals
    Spank Subrosa freeride saddle
    Easton EA30 seatpost (boat anchor - don't ever get one)

OK, here are some build pics to share the stoke of the day:

Time to unpack at LBS:

Frame ready to build:

Fork and cranks:

Almost there:

Finished bike (well, still some brake lines and cable routing to clean up, they need to be taken apart to be routed through the frame, but there was no time for a brake bleed today...):

After all that, the bike got finished just in time, managed a quick shakedown run at a local hill:

Too early for any well informed ride impressions, but I can already say that this is one lively freeride rig! Feels great in the turns, stable in the air, and generally a blast to ride. It climbs quite nicely in the granny ring, although the rider position with the saddle up is a little too far back and too short in the cockpit to make it really trail friendly, but you can defintely pedal this thing around all day if you take your time with it. It came in just under 40 lbs, but that is with heavy tires + tubes, and some crappy heavy components like the seatpost, chain guide etc - room to drop at least 1lbs quite easily.
    Mission accomplished. Now looking forward to getthing this thing dirty on the trails!

Last edited by Iceman2058; 07-05-2009 at 02:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Hot bike. I'm digging the sandals!

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by kylethekatkiller
    Hot bike. I'm digging the sandals!

Yeah I forgot to bring the riding shoes , and once the bike was finished there was no time left in the day to go get them, so that was that.

Bikes, Beer, and Sex
    whats with the kick stand?

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by motorcyclemike
    Well I'm trying to take it one step at a time. I only just started riding without the little side wheels, now you want me to lose the kickstand as well???

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    super sick but an interesting bike...i love the morewoods, and am looking at getting one for next season. i have a few questions
    -why did you decide to do a pretty full on dh build on the zuza instead of the izumu or makulu? it would seem like for a 6.5 in travel frame you wouldn't want a boxxer or saints, you'd want to build it a little lighter. like you have a double ring and mostly xc/am wheels but with the rest dh.
    -have you ridden the izumu or makulu? i'm sure the zuza would feel a ton like the izumu but just with more travel

I could gap that.
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by motorcyclemike
    Dude srsly? It's a stick... Look closer pl0x
    Demo 8
    P1
    http://www.chainsmokeracing.net/
    Sponsors: Twenty6, ODI, Elka, Crank Bros, Sixsixone, Azonic, Specialized

Bikes, Beer, and Sex
    oops

clyde in training
    skeet skeet skeet

Glad to Be Alive
    congrats.........
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    The Zuza with a boxxer?
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

I could gap that.
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by suicidebomber
    The Zuza with a boxxer?
    Your point is...? The Zuza is a 6.7", nearly 7" bike. It's not the first time someone has put an 8" travel fork on a 7" bike.
    Demo 8
    P1
    http://www.chainsmokeracing.net/
    Sponsors: Twenty6, ODI, Elka, Crank Bros, Sixsixone, Azonic, Specialized

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Heeeere it is, I was wondering how long it was going to take for you to put some photos of the new beast! Congratulations Iceman, nice rig!!!!

By the way, are those sandals thew new 5/10 for FR?

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpearson
    super sick but an interesting bike...i love the morewoods, and am looking at getting one for next season. i have a few questions
    -why did you decide to do a pretty full on dh build on the zuza instead of the izumu or makulu? it would seem like for a 6.5 in travel frame you wouldn't want a boxxer or saints, you'd want to build it a little lighter. like you have a double ring and mostly xc/am wheels but with the rest dh.
    -have you ridden the izumu or makulu? i'm sure the zuza would feel a ton like the izumu but just with more travel
    I wanted something heavy duty for a good mix of FR and DH action, with a dual-crown fork (it's a disease), that can still be used for self-shuttling trails and even the odd "all-mountain" ride if necessary. This is to be my one and only bike.
    I wouldn't call the Halo Freedom a "mostly xc/am" wheel....this is one tough rim (and on Hope Pro II with 2mm straight guage spokes about as sturdy a build as you could want). And the new Saints are pretty light (SWEET cranks BTW!).
    I had a brief spin on the Izumu, and you are right...they feel very similar, although the Zuza can actually be pedalled around like an almost normal bike (you are just a bit too far back to make it realyl efficient in this domain). Climbs in the granny ring seem entirely feasible to me after the very short shakedown test yesterday. Didn't have the chance to ride the Makulu yet, but from the reviews and according to the guys riding them here, it is much more of a pure speedmachine (and amazing at that - just check out the latest Dirt mag review on the Makulu...).

Quote Originally Posted by specializedbeta18
    Your point is...? The Zuza is a 6.7", nearly 7" bike. It's not the first time someone has put an 8" travel fork on a 7" bike.
    Exactly. Besides, the Boxxer is within 3mm of the A-C of a standard Totem (the recommended fork for this frame), just with an extra 20mm travel, and with the flush headset (that you can run because of the 1 1/8 steerer on the Boxxer) it helps to keep the effective A-C even lower than a Totem build. With the 0 rise direct mount stem and low-rise bars, the front end feels just right...not at all too high. Headangle stays at 66.5...

Quote Originally Posted by iguanabartola
    Heeeere it is, I was wondering how long it was going to take for you to put some photos of the new beast! Congratulations Iceman, nice rig!!!!

By the way, are those sandals thew new 5/10 for FR?
    Thanks man! Yup - sandals, it's where it's at! The new FR craze...

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    just curious about the geo on the zuza with a boxxer.
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by suicidebomber
    just curious about the geo on the zuza with a boxxer.
    I presume you read my answer above? If not, here it is again...:

The Boxxer is within 3mm of the A-C of a standard Totem (the recommended fork for this frame), just with an extra 20mm travel, and with the flush headset (that you can run because of the 1 1/8 steerer on the Boxxer) it helps to keep the effective A-C even lower than a Totem build. With the 0 rise direct mount stem and low-rise bars, the front end feels just right...not at all too high. Headangle stays at 66.5...

mtbr member
    That is a very nice lookin zuzu
    Ive always liked the look of morewoods, nice and clean with no fancy ass suspension systems

Hows that 2010 Boxxer Race feel? Does the compression adjust have a noticeable effect ?
    Wanna get some opinions as im considering getting my mits on a set

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_M2R
    That is a very nice lookin zuzu
    Ive always liked the look of morewoods, nice and clean with no fancy ass suspension systems

Hows that 2010 Boxxer Race feel? Does the compression adjust have a noticeable effect ?
    Wanna get some opinions as im considering getting my mits on a set
    Yeah the platform effect of the compression damping is very noticable. You can pretty much almost lock it out actually (but it still opens on a big hit). If anything, I would say that the effect is too noticable right now (but bear in mind it has not broken in yet).
    On the other hand it is already nice and plush, and with just a couple of clicks compression it holds up in turns and under braking quite nicely. I was worried it would dive under braking (more so than a Mission Control equipped Team or WC), but so far it seems to do a good job of it (still need to hit some proper trails).

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman2058
    I presume you read my answer above? If not, here it is again...:

The Boxxer is within 3mm of the A-C of a standard Totem (the recommended fork for this frame), just with an extra 20mm travel, and with the flush headset (that you can run because of the 1 1/8 steerer on the Boxxer) it helps to keep the effective A-C even lower than a Totem build. With the 0 rise direct mount stem and low-rise bars, the front end feels just right...not at all too high. Headangle stays at 66.5...
    its cool, man. thanks. I'll keep that in mind when the first squishy bike magically falls on my doorstep. And yeah, I really like Morewoods.

mtbr member
    Iceman! sick build bro! RIP Enduro with the green seat stay!

Roll on Spring Time!
    I nearly picked one up when I went home to SA. I think the Zuza in blue is sick, enjoy the ride.

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewnielson
    Iceman! sick build bro! RIP Enduro with the green seat stay!
    Thanks man! Yeah, the Enduro is sitting out in the garage, missing 1 wheel and still with a green seatstay, feeling real sorry for itself...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman2058
    Thanks man! Yeah, the Enduro is sitting out in the garage, missing 1 wheel and still with a green seatstay, feeling real sorry for itself...
    how much would you sell the frame for and shipped to the US?

Now with More Wood
    Getting out for some early evening freeriding today:

mtbr member
    Awesome looking bike and pics Iceman. I'm just beginning the journey myself (had my Enduro about 2 months now) and it's serving me well so far, I'd like to do more freeriding and will consider the Zuza if my Spesh ever starts tapping out xD
    Santa Cruz Blur TRc

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast