mtbr member

Morewood Shova LT Review

This is my new ride for 2008. I wanted to build a 7”x7” Mini DHer and a do it all bike for the 08 season. Most of the races I attend during the race season you don’t need a full on 8”+ DHer. I took a stock Morewood Shova LT frame and changed it up a little. Stock rear shock is an 8.75” I to I and 2.75” stroke. Stock that =’s 7.6” of rear travel and the GEO is 67d HA, 14.5” high BB, and a 72d ST angel. I wanted a slacker feel, a lower BB, and wanted the rear suspension to match up a little better with the RS Totem Air up front. So I decided to try a shorter I to I and shorter stroke rear shock. I put a DHX 5.0 Air 8.5 I to I with a 2.5” stroke on the frame. In result this is what I got.

Bike GEO and Specs:
    7” of Rear suspension and 7” of Front Suspension
    65 degree HT
    22” True TT
    14” High BB
    44.5” Wheel Base
    29” Stand Over
    70 degree ST

Build:
    Frame Morewood Shova LT Size Large
    Rear Shock Fox DHX 5.0 Air
    Fork Totem Air
    Brakes Formula K24s 8” disc
    Truvativ Stylo Cranks 175mm
    E-13 LG1 with Taco
    Thomson Stem and Seat Post
    Azonic OutLaw Wheelset with Michelin Tires setup Tubeless
    Bars Sunline V1s
    Sram X9 shifter and X9 Mid Cage Derailleur
    Sram 26-11 Road Cassette
    Cane Creek Head Set
    Forté Pro SLX Saddle

Weight? I am thinking it’s around 35lbs with All Mt Tires on it and 36lbs with DH Tires. I will truly know when I put it on a scale.

The Ride:
    I took it on a local shuttle ride this past weekend to put so time on it. This bike is super fun to ride and rails!!!!! The 3 different shuttle runs we did had about everything you could throw at a DH bike. Things I was worried about was; 1: Is a 7”er going to be enough, 2: Will it hold up to high speed runs, 3: How stable it would be, and 4: Being a SP design if there was going to be any brake jack? Well it exceeded my expectations and there was very little brake jack at all. The bike is super light and very easy to throw around, jumps as nice as any bike I have had in the past, and pedals really well up and downhill. I was also worried about the DHX air with all the negative feed back on the web. I will have to say it performed really well. It did take some time to set it up right, but almost feels as good as a coil shock. Time will tell if I run into any of the problems those have had in the past with that shock. I do plan to put a Cane Creek DB or the new Rock Shox Vivid shock on it with a TI spring for the 08 race season. For now the reason I am running air front and rear is so that I can set the bike up on the fly for all kinds of riding whether it’s Cross Country riding, Dirt Jumping, Shuttling, or DH racing. I will get to take it up to one of the best places to ride on the East Coast, Wind Rock TN in Nov. I will give another ride report then.

If you are thinking of building a 7” DHer or a do it all bike; I highly recommend the Morewood Shova LT and my build or a build much like it.

Thanks goes out to the below for helping me out with the build:
    Richard, Patrick, and the Morewood crew for thier great sponsorship and helping get me back on the Morewood brand (By far the best service in the industry!!!!)
    Michelin for taking care of me for the past 10+ years and making the best DH tires out there
    Thomson for thier super light Stems and Seat Posts, plus taking care of me for the past 5 years
    Azonic for hooking me up with a great wheelset and the past 10+ years of sponsorship
    Sunline for their super light and cool bars, one of my new sponcors for 08

Get out and ride a 650B!

mtbr member
    the only other thing i'd throw on there is the new king 1.5 headset.. just or pimp factor. not sure on its weight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan_daugherty
    the only other thing i'd throw on there is the new king 1.5 headset.. just or pimp factor. not sure on its weight.
    Cane Creek is right up the road from me, just like most of my Sponsors. I like to support my local guys.
    Get out and ride a 650B!

Shop *****
    [Borat]
    Very nice, please send me your ReignX
    [/Borat]

Nice build.. Perfect for east coast racing.
    Quote Originally Posted by RuLz
    All good suggestions. What kind of "ass-orderant" would you recommend?

mtbr member
    REALLY nice bike

Tuck & roll...

Good job!

Really like that bike. Very nice.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Very Sick bike! I am turning my demo 7 into a 7in travel dher right now!
    Go BIG or Go HOME

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Awsome bike!
    How does it compare to your reign x? Is it much different under braking? Im thinking of replacing my old C-dale gemini with a reign X, ONE of the reasons is the claimed "isolation" of breaking forces from suspention activity under the maestro system.
    This is important to me as my local DH track is involves around 6 minutes of twisty, rocky single-track. Breaking on rocks and roots inevitable. The suspention lockout under these conditions is quite noticable on my Gemini .

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I would like to here more about the DHXA after you ride it more.
    Go BIG or Go HOME

Meh.
    Nice build. Morewoods are nice.

Glad to Be Alive
    35 pounds????? really
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I can't stop looking at this bike!
    Go BIG or Go HOME

StraightOuttaCompton
    very nice, sick looking bike
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    35 pounds????? really
    That is with All Mt Michelins on the bike. Not with Michelin DH tires. I would say add 1Lb for them.
    Get out and ride a 650B!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dually
    Awsome bike!
    How does it compare to your reign x? Is it much different under braking? Im thinking of replacing my old C-dale gemini with a reign X, ONE of the reasons is the claimed "isolation" of breaking forces from suspention activity under the maestro system.
    This is important to me as my local DH track is involves around 6 minutes of twisty, rocky single-track. Breaking on rocks and roots inevitable. The suspention lockout under these conditions is quite noticable on my Gemini .

Thanks
    Never had a Reign X. I was looking into one for 08, but went with Morewwod. I had a Glory DH and a Trance this past year.

I got a chance to put the bike to its test this past weekend. Boy did it handle everything the way I wanted. This is very little Brake Jack on this bike. It tracks just as nice as my Glory did. May have to do with the DHX Air on the back. I don't know. I know Morewood changed up the pivot location in 07 on all their frames. It helped out a lot to get rid of the Bake Jack. Another reason I didn't get the Reign X, is because I really didn't feel it would hold up to the kind of riding I do. I feel right at room on the Shova LT. I know it can take anything I can throw at it. Plus the guys at Morewood are the best to work within the Industry.
    Get out and ride a 650B!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Where might I get one of those Thomson seat post?
    Go BIG or Go HOME

StraightOuttaCompton
    order that from your LBS,man
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CountryBoy
    Where might I get one of those Thomson seat post?
    yah you LBS can help you out. You just need to make sure they order it in Silver. By the way its a Masterpiece Seat Post by Thomson. Its thier high end line and lighter than the Elite ones by 40 grams.
    Get out and ride a 650B!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for the help
    Go BIG or Go HOME