mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Morewood Shova LT rear shock setup tips pls...

Heya wicked riders out there
    Just got my new 2008 Morewood Shova LT (kick ass beauty).
    In 2008 travel is down from 7.6" to 7.1" and it is armed with the DHX 4 with 350 spring. My Qs:
    1. I weight 185lbs (w/o gear), and sag is pretty generous as it stands right now (about 35%). In your experience, is it too much? is it better to stay with this 350 spring and twick with other settings or should I better be with 400 spring for 'firmer feel'? I am asking all you riders with similar figures and experience with this amount of rear travel.
    2. I have DHX 5 on 2 other bikes of mine but never used a DHX 4, am I going to lack the bottom out feature? on a 7" rear travel is this an important dial? I don't hack crazy stuff (Bender style), max would be 6-9 feet (normally 4-6). Should this alone call for a stiffer spring (400) as related to my first Q? Should I opt for the DHX 5 upgrade for that feature alone? Any riders out there with the DHX 4 experience on FR rigs out there?

Sorry if too loooong
    Cheers

i drink shower water
    how much did you get it for and where?
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

In Israel...

Local Morewood disti is a national DH star & more inportant, a buddy, hence price was choice (sub $2000)

Roll on Spring Time!
    zlang
    i weigh 185lb too and i have just invested in an orange 66 which is almost identical to your shova, if your shock stroke is 2.5". i looked on tf tuned spring calculator and it recommends a 500 spring for freeride, 28% sag. for downhill it will be a little lower, 450lb.
    there is no difference in the spring requirements of the dhx 4 and dhx 5.

http://www.tftunedshox.com/springcalc.htm
    I just want to ride.

mtbr member
    I also used that Spring calculator for setting up the sag / preload of my rear shock. It's quite accurate. BTW i have a similar single pivot (MC Sin) with compable travel (7 inches).
    DH:Mountain Cycle Shockwave 9.5 w/ 888R
    FR:Marin Quake w/ 888RC
    AM:BMC Superstroke 01 w/ 66RC2X

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

My Shova shock stroke is 2.75"

which usually yields lower spring number then that of 2.5" stroke. I checked the calc and it shows ~400. I guess my Q refrased would be, what sag do most of you ride on a 7" FR bike? is it less then 30% or more like in the 35% range?

Roll on Spring Time!
    28ish% for me, but i like a slightly firmer feel for sprinting and for increased bottom out.
    I just want to ride.

mtbr member
    What wheels are you going to run on that frame. They list the rear end as 12 X 135. I'm interested in the frame and was just looking at the specs on it.

mtbr member
    Congrats on the buy man, you will love the bike. I have a 07 Shova Lt setup with a RS Vivid 5.1 and a RS Totem Air. I run around 35% Sag and way about 175lbs. I run a 300lb spring on the Vivid but it also takes a 50lb less spring rate than a DHX would. If you get another shock for it I would get the Vivid as its way better than the DHX 5.0. I have many DHX 5.0's. My suggestion would be get a 400lb and try it. It would not hurt for you to have a 400lb and 350lb unless you got to a Vivid then you would need a 300lb and a 350lb spring. That way you can change out the spring for different courses.

By the way lets see some pics of the bike man!!!!

Enjoy it.
    Cecil
    Get out and ride a 650B!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm looking at picking up the shova lt as a frame, does it really have a 135 x12mm rear??? and if so what kinda wheels you guys running... I got a set of outlaws right now i could use but i kinda like them on the bike there on now... just looking for suggestinos.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skiz
    I'm looking at picking up the shova lt as a frame, does it really have a 135 x12mm rear??? and if so what kinda wheels you guys running... I got a set of outlaws right now i could use but i kinda like them on the bike there on now... just looking for suggestinos.
    It has a 135mm x 12mm Rear. Its a great bike. I use the Azonic OutLaws.

Here is mine. Older pic before I put the RS Vivid on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Get out and ride a 650B!