mtbr member
    Feb 2008

More questions, sorry. Boxxer to Jr T headset switch?

I just put the JR T after a boxxer on my bike but its almost stiff and not fluidlike on my steering now.

Do i need to get another head set with different bearings or did I tighten something up too much?\

Topgun = newb
    Turner DHR

My threads are typically awful. Thanks for putting up with them.

For The Win
    Its probably over tightened. Also, grease your steer tube.
    Slow is cool too, right?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    nevermind...found my lost bearing...at the bike shop $7
    Turner DHR

Meh.
    I hope it is the right bearing... and that it matches the race... and that you had transferred your old crown race from the Boxxer to the Jr T.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Why would you switch from a Boxxer to a Jr T??

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    I hope it is the right bearing... and that it matches the race... and that you had transferred your old crown race from the Boxxer to the Jr T.
    what do you mean?

And i got the jr t over the boxxer because the boxxer was an oldy fork with seal issues
    Turner DHR

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Newer doesn't always mean better. My experience Boxxers, pretty much all years, have been pretty solid performance wise. It was unchaged for years other than little changes and has been a top performer for those years. Seals are cheap and easy to repair. Maybe I should have read one of the other threads you have started to see all the questions you are asking about the same two forks. This could have been all in one post I am sure.

Meh.
    I told him that seals are cheap and easy to replace as well.

There are different size bearings... If they are cartridge bearing, there are difference angles. Each of these different types has a bearing race specific to it. If you did not transfer the crown race from the old fork to the new one, it will not run properly (unless by chance the new fork has the same one installed by the previous owner).

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    ooooh, ok, is that why i needed the marzocchi snap ring on the top bearing to keep it from having that lateral motion?
    If thats the case ill head back to the shop and get a different bearing instead of using the snap ring with it
    Turner DHR

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Snap ring??? Never used a snap ring on a headset install. To get rid of the lateral motion you just need to preload the bearing correctly with the top cap.

If this is what you are talking about it isn't a snap ring it is a compression plug that keeps the top of the headset spaced correctly and keeps the fork in place. It is usually like this on Chris Kings and some others it is a little different system, but really the same in a sense. This isn't park of the fork it is part of the headset and comes with the headset. Will work with all forks in the right headtube diater.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chinkerjuarez
    To get rid of the lateral motion you just need to preload the bearing correctly with the top cap.

pretend i know absolutely nothing about bikes...which i am beginning to think is close to true
    Turner DHR

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=65

Great resource for your questions. Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    then yes, i have all the bearings and that is what i thought was a snap ring. Its probably just unseated which is making it move a tiny bit
    Turner DHR

Meh.
    It sounds a lot like he did not transfer the crown race.

The race is part of the headset that is pressed onto the steerer against the crown of the fork. This is what the bearings ride on.

Different bearing sizes, angles, etc require different races.

Here is a picture of one that is not seated yet.

Here is one that is seated.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    ok perfect, i have a crown race for the top but not the bottom. Time for another trip to the LBS
    Turner DHR

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Why not just take the one off of the boxxer and transfer it to the Jr. T?? Unless they have the same headset laying around the crown race won't work. Crown races are shaped to work with the headset they are not universal.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i can probably find it on the ground at my house. With my other bearing.
    We have 8 bikes, 10 skis/snowboards, rockclimbing gear, 1 motocross bike, and jeep parts all in the same room. Things get lost easily, even with my (thinking) i had put them in the bag of parts.
    Turner DHR

Meh.
    The crown race is PRESSED onto the steerer, it is not usually loose. Unless you pulled it off with a hammer and a screw driver, it is probably still on the fork.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Look man, I've been reading this wondering why you didn't just walk your bike and the other fork into your local shop?

I understand how it saves money to do things yourself, but if you have a good repore with the guys behind the counter, they would've explained all this to you, or let you watch as they did the swap.

If I was you, I'd start over with a new headset. Pig DH models aren't too expensive... Have the shop swap it out, and stick around to watch what they do if they're cool with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

Meh.
    According to him, his bike shop is clueless and he is vastly more knowledgeable than any of the guys there and they try to rip him off with extravagant prices.

No begins speculation... I'm probably betting that he's not actually had any work done by them... and he likely thinks that his poorly tuned bike is the bees' knees and that nobody can even come close to touching that level of perfection.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    According to him, his bike shop is clueless and he is vastly more knowledgeable than any of the guys there and they try to rip him off with extravagant prices.
    Exactly. I know that when I'm working and giving people advice on what repairs are necessary for the optimal operation of their bike, I'm just winging it and trying to milk them for as much money as possible.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

No begins speculation... I'm probably betting that he's not actually had any work done by them... and he likely thinks that his poorly tuned bike is the bees' knees and that nobody can even come close to touching that level of perfection.

nope, I am building off a 2001 frame. Hardly the bees knees guy. I traded my boxxer for brakes and got a Jr T off KSL. (after asking here 1 week before what people would choose, an 03 boxxer vs an 06 Jr T...Marzocchi Jr T or 03 Boxxer Race)
    So i traded to boxxer after most showed dependability towards the Jr T vs older boxxer, and i hope this isnt an overused excuse but being in college I cant be rebuilding a fork a few times a summer, id rather be buying my dinner of ramon noodles.

Plus, id rather ask the helpful advice of mtbr for help instead of paying a shop to do something for me. Hope I didnt come off as "all powerful bike owner," with my thread titles already being from the needing help category. I appreciate the helpful advice though, thanks uncle cliffy, if i had the old fork I would be fine. I googled crown races and found average prices being $5 so i am thinking about the shop ordering one specific for mine, i think I can drop $5 on that.

XSL will- I appreciate you teaching me on crown races and the setup of a fork, I know more now, but treat me with a bit more respect and dont be such a stuck up bike geek.

FullMonty, your just worthless I asked for help not criticism
    Last edited by Topgun514; 02-13-2010 at 07:45 PM.
    Turner DHR

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun514
    nope, I am building off a 2001 frame. Hardly the bees knees guy. I traded my boxxer for brakes and got a Jr T off KSL. (after asking here 1 week before what people would choose, an 03 boxxer vs an 06 Jr T...Marzocchi Jr T or 03 Boxxer Race)
    So i traded to boxxer after most showed dependability towards the Jr T vs older boxxer, and i hope this isnt an overused excuse but being in college I cant be rebuilding a fork a few times a summer, id rather be buying my dinner of ramon noodles.

Plus, id rather ask the helpful advice of mtbr for help instead of paying a shop to do something for me. Hope I didnt come off as "all powerful bike owner," with my thread titles already being from the needing help category. I appreciate the helpful advice though, thanks uncle cliffy, if i had the old fork I would be fine. I googled crown races and found average prices being $5 so i am thinking about the shop ordering one specific for mine, i think I can drop $5 on that.

XSL will- I appreciate you teaching me on crown races and the setup of a fork, I know more now, but treat me with a bit more respect and dont be such a stuck up bike geek.

FullMonty, your just worthless I asked for help not criticism
    It's not that I'm being stuck-up. It's that you are thick and do not listen, how many times did I have to repeat myself before you caught on? Your spelling and grammar is terrible as well. Please get spell check.

Several times in the past you have cited the shop as being useless, overpriced, and without any knowledge.

The race is specific to the headset... as are bearings. But I've already said that...