Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shwinn8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,940

    Montana bike parks...

    Just relocated to montana... How's Big Sky and the other bike Parks ?
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '00 Homegrown

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cookieMonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    169
    Big Sky is just...meh. It's not all their fault, the area is just not the greatest for trails -- way too rocky with not enough dirt. And then when it's dry (pretty much all summer) those rocks are loose. But also, they never seem to maintain their trails or really build anything modern. I've been riding and racing there since they first opened to mountain bikes, and not much has improved. I actually used to get free season passes because I worked in a bike shop. After that, it just wasn't worth paying for lift tickets.

    Big Mountain, on the other hand, looks very promising. Also, Discovery Basin has a new bike park that looks good. I haven't been to either of those two yet, however. Too many good local trails to ride, not enough time...wait....I meant the trails are terrible here. Yeah. Terrible.
    HEY BIKE INDUSTRY: WE'RE NOT ALL CEOs !!!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shwinn8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,940
    Thank you for the info!
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '00 Homegrown

  4. #4
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,419
    if you are going anywhere or moving to a new area....check this site out....they also have good deals on MTB Passes

    MTBparks.com | Your Guide to Lift-Access Mountain Bike Parks in Canada and the US
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shwinn8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,940
    Awesome! Thank you Bob!
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '00 Homegrown

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    20

    Montana / Idaho / Wyoming Shredding

    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    if you are going anywhere or moving to a new area....check this site out....they also have good deals on MTB Passes

    MTBparks.com | Your Guide to Lift-Access Mountain Bike Parks in Canada and the US
    Thanks for sharing the info Bob.

    Here's a quick rundown of riding in your neck of the woods...

    Big Sky - they have some major trail work in their 2015 plan. The resort started building their first flow trail using the same crew that build the sweet trails at Big Mountain (aka Whitefish). We'll be posting up info on the site soon.

    Discovery - new to the game but a TON of fun to ride! Definitely worth a trip.

    Whitefish - also a ton of fun to ride. Flow and tech trails. LOTS of vert.

    Silver Mountain, ID - One of our absolute favorites from last summer. (It's in Kellogg, ID - near enough if you're in MT.)

    You should also plan a trip to Grand Targhee, Jackson Hole and shuttles on Teton Pass.

    The "Bike Park Map" on the site will point you to links to info for all of the resorts. We'll be working on 2015 updates in March/April as info becomes available. But generally speaking, most of the info is pretty similar from last year - at least if you're trying to learn about all of your options in the area.

    If you like big-mountain riding, you've just moved to biketopia, imho.

    Last thing. Bob's right. We do have some sweet deals on lift tickets. (Like FREE?)

    Check out the MTBparks Pass. (We already have Grand Targhee, Big Sky and Silver Mountain on board in that area.) Still in the pre-season pre-launch phase and adding more resorts to the list. A great way to check out different resorts.

    Ride free and save $$ at some of North America's Best Bike Parks with the MTBparks Pass.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    491
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbParks View Post
    Thanks for sharing the info Bob.

    Here's a quick rundown of riding in your neck of the woods...

    Big Sky - they have some major trail work in their 2015 plan. The resort started building their first flow trail using the same crew that build the sweet trails at Big Mountain (aka Whitefish). We'll be posting up info on the site soon.

    Discovery - new to the game but a TON of fun to ride! Definitely worth a trip.

    Whitefish - also a ton of fun to ride. Flow and tech trails. LOTS of vert.

    Silver Mountain, ID - One of our absolute favorites from last summer. (It's in Kellogg, ID - near enough if you're in MT.)

    You should also plan a trip to Grand Targhee, Jackson Hole and shuttles on Teton Pass.

    The "Bike Park Map" on the site will point you to links to info for all of the resorts. We'll be working on 2015 updates in March/April as info becomes available. But generally speaking, most of the info is pretty similar from last year - at least if you're trying to learn about all of your options in the area.

    If you like big-mountain riding, you've just moved to biketopia, imho.

    Last thing. Bob's right. We do have some sweet deals on lift tickets. (Like FREE?)

    Check out the MTBparks Pass. (We already have Grand Targhee, Big Sky and Silver Mountain on board in that area.) Still in the pre-season pre-launch phase and adding more resorts to the list. A great way to check out different resorts.

    If you do end up in Whitefish, Fernie is only 60 miles away...

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    24

    More questions about montana bike parks and kids

    I'm travelling out to Montana from NorCal with the wife and kids at the end of June. Northstar is my local park. While the first part of the trip is set for family stuff and no riding, the return trip from Yellowstone back foothills of cali is open season on hitting up bike parks. Travelling for 2 weeks.

    Last year, my oldest(7) had a awesome time at Whistler with their lessons and has been ripping it since then. He's turned every downhill 5 feet or more into Crank It Up. Any parks in the montana/wyoming/utah area have bike rentals with 24 in rims and full suspension like a kona stinky 24 or similar. Also, any kids downhill lessons at these parks comparable to what was at whistler? Failing that, any park have green and blue runs that are single track that an aggressive kid can handle on a hardtail?

    Bonus points for a park that we can stay at that has fun kid stuff for my 5yr old daughter and non-downhilling wife.

    I've just started looking at parks and locations last night and have only researched Targhee and Park City. Thanks for any replies.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    491
    Quote Originally Posted by JulioBTLL View Post
    I'm travelling out to Montana from NorCal with the wife and kids at the end of June. Northstar is my local park. While the first part of the trip is set for family stuff and no riding, the return trip from Yellowstone back foothills of cali is open season on hitting up bike parks. Travelling for 2 weeks.

    Last year, my oldest(7) had a awesome time at Whistler with their lessons and has been ripping it since then. He's turned every downhill 5 feet or more into Crank It Up. Any parks in the montana/wyoming/utah area have bike rentals with 24 in rims and full suspension like a kona stinky 24 or similar. Also, any kids downhill lessons at these parks comparable to what was at whistler? Failing that, any park have green and blue runs that are single track that an aggressive kid can handle on a hardtail?

    Bonus points for a park that we can stay at that has fun kid stuff for my 5yr old daughter and non-downhilling wife.

    I've just started looking at parks and locations last night and have only researched Targhee and Park City. Thanks for any replies.
    Doubtful you will find any lessons comparable to what you got at Whistler. They have pretty much the worlds best instructors and lessons.

    Outside of that, keep that little one in it, I started mine in his teen years and his interest level is just not there. Too many other thing like video games and, well, more video games...

  10. #10
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,419
    Quote Originally Posted by JulioBTLL View Post
    I'm travelling out to Montana from NorCal with the wife and kids at the end of June. Northstar is my local park. While the first part of the trip is set for family stuff and no riding, the return trip from Yellowstone back foothills of cali is open season on hitting up bike parks. Travelling for 2 weeks.

    Last year, my oldest(7) had a awesome time at Whistler with their lessons and has been ripping it since then. He's turned every downhill 5 feet or more into Crank It Up. Any parks in the montana/wyoming/utah area have bike rentals with 24 in rims and full suspension like a kona stinky 24 or similar. Also, any kids downhill lessons at these parks comparable to what was at whistler? Failing that, any park have green and blue runs that are single track that an aggressive kid can handle on a hardtail?

    Bonus points for a park that we can stay at that has fun kid stuff for my 5yr old daughter and non-downhilling wife.

    I've just started looking at parks and locations last night and have only researched Targhee and Park City. Thanks for any replies.

    hit up Park City....lots of stuff for wife to do......in addition Deer Valley would be great for the kid to ride....but if he is doing well and holds his own, then hit up The Canyons on the other hill.....but he will need game for that mountain....honestly he would be probably better on Deer Valley but this one trail on Canyons is like Crank it up but a lot shorter....vid below (if your kid rode crank it up then easily could ride the Wild Mouse)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nsnU8Y6LR8
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Similar Threads

  1. Helena, Montana = Trail Bike Heaven
    By kafin8ed in forum Idaho, Montana, Wyoming
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-01-2014, 09:11 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-23-2014, 06:05 PM
  3. Tire Recommendations for Montana? (All Mountain Bike)
    By foogs in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-18-2013, 02:14 PM
  4. Stolen bike in Montana
    By MTBGreatFalls79 in forum Idaho, Montana, Wyoming
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-02-2011, 11:36 AM
  5. Crazy bike raffle in Montana
    By kntr in forum Idaho, Montana, Wyoming
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 06-15-2011, 03:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •