mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Mongoose Wing Comp disc brakes?

Does anyone know if the 2004 Mongoose Wing Comp is disc brake compatible both front and rear? I'm pretty sure the front fork has a disc brake mount, but what about the rear swing arm? Anyone know?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by detour
    Does anyone know if the 2004 Mongoose Wing Comp is disc brake compatible both front and rear? I'm pretty sure the front fork has a disc brake mount, but what about the rear swing arm? Anyone know?
    This is the Downhill / freeride forum, we don't usually discuss two hundred and fifty dollar bikes.http://www.sportmart.com/product/ind...entPage=family
    Good disc brakes would cost more than that bike. If you are going too fast for that bikes v-brakes then you are going too fast for that bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Not quite on target...

Well, TWISTED, you seem to have misunderstood my question... It looks like you let a bunch of false conclusions get in the way of your answer. I know that this posting is about a low-end bike in a typically high-end forum. However, it's still a question that requires knowledge about full suspension bikes... there is no place better to talk about full suspension bikes than in the Downhill/Freeride forum - you all are most knowledgable on the subject. Secondly, I don't own this bike, I'm simply trying to get some information on the frame that Mongoose used for this bike. So it's not that I'm going to fast for the V-Brakes, I'm just trying to get some info.

If there is some unspoken rule that the Downhill/Freeride riders in the forum can't even discuss lower-cost bikes, I apologize, my mistake. But I just want to point out, for the sake of being accurate, that the 2003 Wing Comp is now being sold around $250, however, the current 2004 Wing Comp (which is notably different from the 2003) is being sold for about $400. Still not "high-end", I know, but also not as low-end as $250.

All I was looking for was some info about the frame of this bike. Maybe I should have been more accurate in my original posting...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You are kidding right?
    BJ, is this you? Funniest post ever!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Chinky on a Stinky
    May 2004
    haha, putting disc brakes on that bike is like putting A.1 steak sauce on sushi, just dont go together
    and y would u want to gather info on a crappy bike anyways?

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by detour
    All I was looking for was some info about the frame of this bike. Maybe I should have been more accurate in my original posting...
    ok, here goes: using that bike for DH/FR purposes is potentially dangerous. There is absolutly no point in upgrading anything on that bike, especially since any serious upgrades like brakes will cost more than the entire bike purchase. Those bikes (like all Dept. store bikes) are not actually meant for off-road use despite the dual suspension. Dual suspension is a way of marketing to impressionable kids and unknowledgable/cheap parents.

It sounds silly, but that frame indeed has no buisness here, simply because its junk made for commuter use and would be destroyed within a day of use for most people posting here. And 400$ for a complete bike is still low end, considering a cheap quality heavyuse hardtail goes for over twice that.

btw, it does look like it has a disk mount in the back

n00b eternal
    It needs disc compatible hubs as well. Basically putting disc brakes on that bike (even cheaper ones) would cost more than the bike itself.

Brakes............................................ .....................$150-200 (mechanical)
    Lines............................................. .......................$30
    Hubs (front & rear)............................................. ....$80 (if you go cheap)
    Wheel rebuild at your local shop.............................$60 (for two wheels)

[SIZE=3]Spending $350 (or so) on a Mongoose worth $400......PRICELESS.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]Wipe your feet really good on the rhythm rug.[/SIZE]

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by ezweave
    It needs disc compatible hubs as well. Basically putting disc brakes on that bike (even cheaper ones) would cost more than the bike itself.

Brakes............................................ .....................$150-200 (mechanical)
    Lines............................................. .......................$30
    Hubs (front & rear)............................................. ....$80 (if you go cheap)
    Wheel rebuild at your local shop.............................$60 (for two wheels)

[SIZE=3]Spending $350 (or so) on a Mongoose worth $400......PRICELESS.[/SIZE]
    hey ezweave, wanna hit up Palmer today? Im bored and want to go riding but cant get ahold of anybody.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

n00b eternal
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    hey ezweave, wanna hit up Palmer today? Im bored and want to go riding but cant get ahold of anybody.
    Sorry, hope you get my message. I was at my sister's house all day helping her refinish her hardwood floors. Is there even anything worth riding at Palmer any more? I know of one small area with some 3-5' drops, but the run in on the big one really sucks. I get bored so easy... plus I'm lazy. I just want to go fast and hit stuff... none of that XC bs. I can't wait for the Red Rock Canyon Freeride park to open up

Yay
    LOL, please dont hurt yourself riding that bike Detour!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, -WOW- What a ride...!!!!

Cynical Bystander
    There's a few trails that would be fun for us to hit. Have you ridden the lower section of Edna Mae? There's some fun technical sections on that. Also, I know of a few miscellaneous drops in the area, I know of one that isnt on a trail but its about 6ft trail and is fun to hit.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

n00b eternal
    Yeah, I've ridden them. I am not sure about the 6 foot one... I'm getting so used to riding in the Cheyenne Canyon area that I prefer the long downhills.

Cynical Bystander
    the 6ft one is between upper and lower lazy land back in some trees, you probably wont know where it is unless someone shows you. Would you wanna hit up some keystone tomorrow or something?
    Tony
    is making a comeback.