mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Mongoose Black Diamond Triple Write Up

Since i rode this bike for awhile I decided I should post a review for all you people considering buying this bike. This was not my bike and not all the parts were stock. I tested this bike on pretty much every type of terrain possible. From long xc climbs to dusty socal dh trails to bmx dirt jumps to non stop velocity, bullet, kamakazie, shock treatment and chainsmoke runs at mammoth and even a little bit of skatepark. First I'll start off with the setup I was running.

Frame: 2007 mongoose black diamond triple [stock]
    Shock: fox dhx 4.0 air [stock]
    Fork: marzocchi 66sl ata [stock]
    Wheelset: azonic outlaws
    Brakes: avid juicy 7 [stock] switched to shimano xt 4 pistons
    Cranks: fsa gravity external bearing [stock]
    Chainguide: Mrp system 3 with fsa bash [stock]
    Bars: azonic ultracross
    Stem: easton havoc [stock]
    Drivetrain: sram x-9 [stock]
    Seat: marzocchi freeride
    Pedals: demolition bmx
    Tires: michelin dh32 front, maxxis minion dhr rear

Frame: The frame is a good design, there is almost no brake jack and it pedals great, almost no pedal bob. This design doesn't absorb rocks and holes as well as others but this isn't a full out dh bike. My only compaint is that the bearing pivots started ovalizing and it only got worse, by the time I was done at mammoth and was ready to give the bike back the swingarm had over 3/8 of a inch of play and felt like the swingarm might fall off. Mongoose has fixed this problem for 2008 though.

Suspension: Up front it had a marzocchi 66sl ata, the fork felt pretty good but had a little bit of stiction. Setup was a little more complicated than a coil fork but after it was setup and the seals oiled it performed really well. My only compaint was that the travel adjust feature kept winding down in the travel every run, this was especially annoying when doing runs at mammoth, duct taping the lever was a simple fix that worked well. The rear suspension was controlled by a fox dhx 4.0. Again this took a little while to set up but after that is worked okay, it absorbed jumps and drops great but it did'nt do as well as a coil shock on absorbing rocks and holes. But the shock did pedal really good.

Braking: The brakes that came stock were avid juicy 7s, they worked ok on all around riding but were kinda noisy and i experienced some heat fade on longer runs because I'm kind of a big guy. For that reason they went and I put on my set of shimano xt 4 pistons which are my favorite set of brakes.

Pedaling: This bike was a great pedaler, it was almost bob free and the light weight just made it easer. The travel adjust on the fork was great for when the climbing got steeper. The only thing that would have been nice is a full length seatube so you can get full saddle extension.

Decending: This bike was a pretty good decender, it loved ripping fast smooth singletrack. Dont fool yourself into thinkingf this is a full out dh bike though, it does't do as well in all out dh sections but that is to be expected. It does handle steep chutes and lower speed rock sections great.

Cornering: It was a very good cornering bike, the bottom bracket was fairly low so it would hold a line well in the corners, the only problem is the frame was a little flexy on the off camber sections but other than that is cornered really well, most people will probably not even notice the flex.

Jumping: The bike was really good jumper, it popped off lips with ease and was really flickable in the air. I even surprised myself by taking it off some steep bmx type dirt jumps. This is probably the best jumping long travel bike I have ever ridden.

In all this bike is a great all around bike. Attached is a pic of how I was running the bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Glad to Be Alive
    the suspension wasn't balanced when I rode one on a bumpy XC trail.....I didn't want to ride it anymore neither did the other rider
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Rominiuk likes his and he rides his like a champ.
    Go BIG or Go HOME

a'buh?
    I have an '06 Black Diamond Double, and it's been a pretty darn good bike. It's just a bit more bike than I need. She doesn't get much riding time now that I have a bottlerocket.

Speaking of which, does anyone want to buy a BDD?
    "Don't just huck yourself: be skilled, be trained, be ready, be prepared, then give 'er." -Dylan Tremblay

EastBaySteez
    Quote Originally Posted by CountryBoy
    People say lots of stuff for sponsorship
    But he'd prob out ride all of us on a DJ HT with 80mm of travel.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

Bike Ninja |||
    Rominiuk gets paid big $$$ to say that he likes his
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

a'buh?
    Something about the way that guy rides his bike...he just looks so pinned all the time...he's really fun to watch (no matter what kind of bike he's riding).
    "Don't just huck yourself: be skilled, be trained, be ready, be prepared, then give 'er." -Dylan Tremblay

Freeriding Feline
    I've seen one at Diablo. It looks like a fun bike and the rider was hitting just about everything w/ it.
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029

StraightOuttaCompton
    Eh, its ok, but i wouldnt ride one, just becuase the pros "like" it doesnt mean we will
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    Give me one and I'll like it But buing one? Think tere are better choices for me.

MountainMafia "Boss"
    I think Romo could make just about any bike his biatch!
    "Live to ride... FREERIDE to live!!!!!!"

mtbr member
    Could never understand that suspension design. The bottom bracket isn't independent of the rear wheel, so how does the suspension work?

Who put that rut there?
    Aug 2004

Take another look...

Quote Originally Posted by dowst
    Could never understand that suspension design. The bottom bracket isn't independent of the rear wheel, so how does the suspension work?
    If I am not mistaken, the BB is totally independent of the rear wheel. Hence the Freedrive suspension design. Isolating the rear wheel and BB from the suspension so as to achieve zero to minimal chain growth and complete power transfer when pedalling.

I've ridden one before and I have to say it is a pretty fun bike.

My bad...the BB is independent of the suspension. had to make that clear. not bb of the rear wheel. Well, now I'm confused!
    Fighting on the internet is like running in the special olympics. Even if you win you are both retards.

Registered Jong
    Quote Originally Posted by elohttub
    If I am not mistaken, the BB is totally independent of the rear wheel. Hence the Freedrive suspension design. Isolating the rear wheel and BB from the suspension so as to achieve zero to minimal chain growth and complete power transfer when pedalling.

I've ridden one before and I have to say it is a pretty fun bike.

My bad...the BB is independent of the suspension. had to make that clear. not bb of the rear wheel. Well, now I'm confused!
    So would you say that it is almost vp esc as far as feel and chain tension goes?
    [SIZE="4"]Nebraska Mountain biker?????[/SIZE]

Ps. I hate pinkbike I should remove it from my bookmarks...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    the suspension wasn't balanced when I rode one on a bumpy XC trail.....I didn't want to ride it anymore neither did the other rider

was it becuse it wasn't set up for you?? or did you set it up for your weight???
    is it an overall heavy bike???

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DEST
    was it becuse it wasn't set up for you?? or did you set it up for your weight???
    is it an overall heavy bike???

It was not a heavy bike and it was not set up for SMT

squish is good
    I have a buddy who rides one and he complains that the rear end isn't very sensetive as well. He says it's fantastic for big hits, jumping and drops but just doesn't jive well with repetetive small bumps. He's running a Manitou Metal shock which may be a factor though. I've heard bad things about them from my bike shop buddies though I haven't read any complaints on here.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    He's running a Manitou Metal shock which may be a factor though. .
    Ummmmm......yeah, that might be the issue!

No offense to your buddy (or others that have one), but that'd be the first thing I'd upgrade if I was him.

EB

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdc
    It was not a heavy bike and it was not set up for SMT

wanted to know where did you hear that the swingarm isses were fixed for 08...

and the 08 triple is possibly going to feel heavier since it doen't have a full air package right?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DEST
    wanted to know where did you hear that the swingarm isses were fixed for 08...

and the 08 triple is possibly going to feel heavier since it doen't have a full air package right?

I heard that from the guy I was borrowing the bike from, there is no information to back up that statement though. A non air package would make the bike ride better.

More Riding Less Internet
    I haven't spent enough time on one to really make an opinion, but for somereason I really like the look of the design. I like how the top tube and down tube are close together.

romo likes his, and definatly pins on it.

Kyle,