Thread: Which Minions?

mtbr member

Which Minions?

Been a Nevegal guy forever (for my park-bike), but want to finally give Maxxis a go. Mostly will be used for North* (races and just riding), and varios other freeriding trails good for DH bikes. I've basically surmised that the old DHR isn't that great, and that I should run the DHF F&R, though the DHR II might be good? Here's the clincher (pun intended): I want to run Stans goop tubeless (and, yes, I know that voids the warranty). My main questions are:
    1) 3C or 42a?
    2) Is EXO just a lighter DH casing?
    C) Should I get the full DH, or is the EXO Ok since I want to go tubeless?
    IV) How stoopid would it be to run Stans?

Feedback from those who run them (or tried running them) with Stans would be most appreciated! Thanks!

Slap happy crappiness
    A. 42a wears fast, especially when used as a rear tire. 3C extends that life a little with not much sacrifice in traction. I personally use either a 3C or 42a up front, with a single compound (60a) as a rear tire. Sometimes I run 60a front and rear, but you give up a good amount of traction with that setup.
    2. Not really, some people might be able to get away with EXO but I've seen them blow off rims and tear on friends bikes who tried them.
    D. I'd be more worried about North* being the deciding factor here and not tubeless. I'd def. run DH casing if I was mostly riding the lifts.
    $. I've been running Mininos with Stans for years. Warranty... hahahaha
    Etc. Also, throwing out there that I'd be a DHF front and rear user for a long time, tried other tires and didn't like them at all. Recently put the new DHRII on the rear and it's a damn nice tire, I'm loving it.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    I like the 3C compound, soft but seems to last pretty well. For park/lift riding I think it only makes sense to run DH casing since you aren't worried about weight at all. I'd hate to get a flat and have it take out time from my day.

Personally, I run a DHF/DHR on both my bikes. Most people seem to not like the DHR but I think it looks awesome and works well for me. DHR II seems to have much more praise, and I think it takes some cues from the also popular High Roller.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DHgnaR View Post
    A. 42a wears fast, especially when used as a rear tire. 3C extends that life a little with not much sacrifice in traction. I personally use either a 3C or 42a up front, with a single compound (60a) as a rear tire. Sometimes I run 60a front and rear, but you give up a good amount of traction with that setup.
    2. Not really, some people might be able to get away with EXO but I've seen them blow off rims and tear on friends bikes who tried them.
    D. I'd be more worried about North* being the deciding factor here and not tubeless. I'd def. run DH casing if I was mostly riding the lifts.
    $. I've been running Mininos with Stans for years. Warranty... hahahaha
    Etc. Also, throwing out there that I'd be a DHF front and rear user for a long time, tried other tires and didn't like them at all. Recently put the new DHRII on the rear and it's a damn nice tire, I'm loving it.
    Solid advice right there.
    2012 Turner DHR
    2013 Turner Burner

usually cranky
    1. 3c for mucking about, 42a for races.
    2. not really, exo is like a mesh that reinforces the sidewall.
    3. dh casing for north*
    4. not at all.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I run dual-ply DHF on the front and the new High-Roller II dual ply on the rear. Yes, Stan's is fine. Unless you're really light and/or only riding on groomed stuff, do not run the single-ply Exo casing. It's fine for a trail bike, but not on a DH bike. Trust me, I tried.

If I didn't run the HRII on the rear, I'd run another DHF; havn't tried the new DHR.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Dhgnar knows what he is talking about, pretty sound advice. General consensus is that the DHR 1 is useless, the DHF is amazing as a front or rear, and the DHR 2 is a good tire that can be even better with some trimming. Im a DHF front and rear kinda guy. spend most of my time on 60a Ardents though, only cause they were on sale and I'd rather thrash those than my 3c DHF's. if I'm shuttling or going to some decent trails the DHF's go back on. Will say that after using Ardents frequently, switching back to DHF's is surreal.

mtbr member
    I was thinking single-ply would be a bad idea... I just wasn't sure if the EXO was better than normal single-ply. I blew DH race last summer by stupidly using a single-ply rear (a WTB Dissent for a race on Livewire - landed slightly sideways on one of the hip-jumps, and burped-to-flat). I think the only way you can do it is to run DH tubes and/or load up with tons of pressure, which would be a different kind of stupid. I'm gonna look for a 2.5 DHF in 42a, and a DHRII in 42a or 3C. Thanks all for the solid advice!

EastBaySteez
    60a all the way around.

2.5 DHF up front 2.35 HR in the back. This has been my set up for the last 6 years.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    Minion DHF 60A rear tire-I tend to drag brakes

Minion DHF 42a front not affected much by my dragging brakes

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Exo is alot better than single-ply, but keep in mind it's no dual-ply. I run exxo's on my Delirium (which I use for both trail riding, and downhill). When I'm riding my local trails, most flow jump trails, XC stuff blah blah, I use the EXO 3C's Front and Rear, and when I'm riding more gnar stuff (not too often) I have some dual ply's I put on.

Keep in mind that the compound on the Exo 3C isn't quite the same as the dual ply 3C. I believe the dual ply 3C is softer all around, While the Exo 3C has a harder center tread.

RideDirt
    How well does the new DHRII do in wet conditions ? Roots , off camber rocks , muddyish conditions ? I found the high roller to suck in the back in those conditions .

Slap happy crappiness
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    How well does the new DHRII do in wet conditions ? Roots , off camber rocks , muddyish conditions ? I found the high roller to suck in the back in those conditions .
    Can't comment on wet roots, but in wet rocks and mud it handles pretty much the same as a DHF in my opinion.

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by DHgnaR View Post
    Can't comment on wet roots, but in wet rocks and mud it handles pretty much the same as a DHF in my opinion.
    Thank you , then this seems to be on my next purchase soon .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    Grippy, esp in 3C version. I always run one in the front.

I ran a 3C DHR II front & 60 HR II in the back at Whistler this summer during some rain, never lost the front end on roots or rocks. I've run this same combo on my trailbike for a while now in many different conditions, now including snow & ice.
    Check out my You Tube Channel

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Most people swear by the DHF F+R. I like them, but I almost like the DHR better. It's not as tractive...you definitely slip around a lot more, but it's easy to set up drifts and it's predictable in its "bad" handling. I almost get freaked out by the huge amount of grip that the DHF has when run on the rear.

42a is cheaper than 3c, and more grippy. Most people say they wear similarly but the 42a loses "chunks" vs. the 3C's more even wear.

I've heard good things about the DHR2, and I'd run one in the rear. Supposedly it makes a decent front tire too.

EXO is more of a 1.5 ply. Only good for posting about your bike's weight on the internet.

brake later, pedal sooner
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Mac View Post
    Grippy, esp in 3C version. I always run one in the front.

I ran a 3C DHR II front & 60 HR II in the back at Whistler this summer during some rain, never lost the front end on roots or rocks. I've run this same combo on my trailbike for a while now in many different conditions, now including snow & ice.
    I run 3c DHR II front and 3c HR II rear also and it's my favorite combo.

I trimmed the center knobs a bit on the front DHR II to have more of a channel like the DHF.

2010 Glory custom FR
    I've been on Minions DHF and DHR 2,35 2ply 42a for few year. Then, I've decided to try DHF 2,5 EXO 3C. I didn't regret this. Damn, these tires are expensive. Teaches you no to drag rear brake
    Fortunately, EXOs 42a are available, now
    But, as already mentioned few times. EXOs are for light, nimble riders who don't race. Otherwise, 2ply tires are strongly advised.
    pozdro
    frango

Slap happy crappiness
    Quote Originally Posted by ustemuf View Post
    I run 3c DHR II front and 3c HR II rear also and it's my favorite combo.

I trimmed the center knobs a bit on the front DHR II to have more of a channel like the DHF.
    Credit where credit's due:
    Maxxis Minion DHR2 | Blister Gear Review Skis, Snowboards, Mountain Bikes, Climbing - The most honest, and in-depth reviews of ski, board, bike, and climbing equipment on the planet.

I'm tempted to throw my other DHRII on the front just to check it out, but I got a fresh DHF on there that I have to ware out first...
    Last edited by DHgnaR; 01-15-2013 at 06:41 PM.