mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Minion UST 2.5 DHF vs 2.7 Minion DHF for DH?

Hi,

Sorry for the cross post - I put this in the tires and wheels forum and I actually think it more belongs here.

Anyone have an opinion on whether the 2.5 DHF UST is a "big enough" tire for the front vs the 2.7 non UST on a DH bike build, with Fox 40, Intense SOCOM etc running on Stan's notubes ZTR Flow rims with saint hubs.

Specifically I am wondering if I really "need" a 2.7 tire up front. I know the Maxxis tires are a lot narrower then other manufactures tires so their 2.5 is just a hair bigger then others 2.35s. I am just about to switch to UST with the purchase of new ZTR rims, also I am accustomed to running my current 2.7 F, 2.5 R setup with tubes on dee tracks around 18 lbs of pressure when descending (I keep them at 40 for the climb then let the air out for the descent), I was hoping to not have to go above 25 lbs of pressure with this new ZTR/UST setup.

It seems like people are going away a bit from the days of 2.7, 2.8, 3.0 tires for DH. Also I am only 165 lbs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    2.5 is plenty. only time i can see going 2.7 is if your hitting some serious gnarly trails.

18lbs?! IMO theres no reason to go that ridiculously low. but hey what ever floats your boat.

moaaar shimz
    Take a look at the Schwalbe offerings. Light, strong, good grip, very wide.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You did not mention what compound you would use in the 2.7.Maxxis UST DH tires only come in ST(supertacky)and kevlar beads,they also do not have the butyl inserts in the sidewalls(silkworm instead).With Stans Flow rims you will stil need to use there rims strips.If you want to run Maxxis go with 2.5 3C and run then tubeless.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Yeah 18 lbs is a little excessive, maybe I actually ran them at 20 historically, whenever I went to refill them my pump would say 18. I ran 26 at Sea Otter this year and that was fine. I bet I will be fine and traction will feel totally adequate at 26, a couple times I accidentally went down to 16 and I could feel the tires squirm under hard cornering, not a good feeling at all.

I love the ST compound, don;t love the rolling resistance climbing nor the $$$ I need to spend every few months, but I am willing to trade that off for unreal descending traction. I tried the Nevegals and while they were great up they were nothing like the Minions descending.

DHRracer - what are the cons of the 2.5 ST UST sidewalls being silkworm instead of that butyl? oh - I just checked the Maxxis web site and it says this "2-ply DH casings with butyl protected sidewalls " http://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Downhi...n-DHF-UST.aspx you think I am fine then 2.5 UST versus 3C compound? Maybe they changed how they build them.

I'd really like to avoid the rim strips, because they basically weigh almost as much as a light weight tube. do you all think I will need the rim strips regardless? I'll probably try them first without and see how it goes.

The more research I do on this subject and DH tires/rims the more round and round I see people going with the whole tubeless mess almost always ending up back where they started with tubes... I hope that isn't what is in store for me...

Oh, So Interesting!
    I tried a 2.7 st and a 2.5 3c dhf on the front last year, I prefered the 2.5 by quite a bit. Mostly riding Keystone and Sol Vista, CO. Go with a 60a on the rear end to save some $$$.

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jrInMarin
    Yeah 18 lbs is a little excessive, maybe I actually ran them at 20 historically, whenever I went to refill them my pump would say 18. I ran 26 at Sea Otter this year and that was fine. I bet I will be fine and traction will feel totally adequate at 26, a couple times I accidentally went down to 16 and I could feel the tires squirm under hard cornering, not a good feeling at all.

I love the ST compound, don;t love the rolling resistance climbing nor the $$$ I need to spend every few months, but I am willing to trade that off for unreal descending traction. I tried the Nevegals and while they were great up they were nothing like the Minions descending.

DHRracer - what are the cons of the 2.5 ST UST sidewalls being silkworm instead of that butyl? oh - I just checked the Maxxis web site and it says this "2-ply DH casings with butyl protected sidewalls " http://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Downhi...n-DHF-UST.aspx you think I am fine then 2.5 UST versus 3C compound? Maybe they changed how they build them.

I'd really like to avoid the rim strips, because they basically weigh almost as much as a light weight tube. do you all think I will need the rim strips regardless? I'll probably try them first without and see how it goes.

The more research I do on this subject and DH tires/rims the more round and round I see people going with the whole tubeless mess almost always ending up back where they started with tubes... I hope that isn't what is in store for me...
    Double check www.notubes.com but when I checked out the Flow rims I remember that rim stips would still be needed.The problems I see with Maxxis ST or there UST is how fast they where.I do find Maxxis web site not very clear on if UST tires have the butyl inserts or not,however my Swampthings are silkworm.The butyl inserts would probablly provide more sidewall protection.My stans rims strips for 721's are 65grams,the best combo I think is going to be rimstrips with 3c's.a buddy has been running this combo for some time now and it has worked out verywell.I think most people just end up using tubes because of the convenience and that due to the compound available now there is less of a need to run low presssures.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks I will give the 3Cs a go, looking around now for the best price.