mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Mini DH Bikes: Commencal Supreme vs Reign X?

I was short of cash a few months ago and sold my 09 Reign X1, as I had an Anthem for XC and a Morewood DH bike for the bigger stuff. I am feeling the urge to get a play bike again, something that I could jump and take the rougher line if possible, yet ride uphill if need be and clock up some XC miles (AM style), which the X1 did very well. I have gone off Giants though and the 2010 Supreme has caught my eye. the Meta's are just too close to my Giant Anthem I think

So I have noticed the 2010 Supreme has dropped some weight(16.9kgs) and now comes with a better fork Fox 36 Van up front.

What I woudl like to know is do you guys who have rode both bikes think the Supreme Mini DH is just as versatile as the Reign X? I know its gonna be love for some light DH/FR stuff but what about pedalling to get to those descents and rides on flat sometimes bumpy singletrack?

I would like to hear some more about the Supreme's versatility? is it similar to the X1?

The plan would be to build her up lighter anyway with a DHX air (or new boost valve RP23) and a Fox 36 Float up front

am I barking up the wrong tree?

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    ride uphill and do xc on a dh bike? have a good time with that. yer a tougher man than i if you can pull that off. then again, im not very tough.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Get another X

Now with More Wood
    I had quite a bit of time on a friend's Commencal Supreme, older model, and while that thing was really a blast once you pointed it down the hill, it was never very good at climbing. First of all, you need a telescopic seatpost (or a split post), and at least on the old frame, it was hard to get the saddle into the right position. It was also a bit short in the TT which compromised the rider position for pedalling. Now, the main issue with that frame was the weight + a certain lack of efficiency in the suspension (I'm talking about climbing of course). So, much as my friend seemed to enjoy that bike, he ended up selling it (went with a Mongoose Khyber and a stout build...he finds it close enough on the DH side of the equation, and I can sure tell he's getting up the hills a lot easier... ).

Now, I cannot tell you if the new model is a substantial improvement in the climbing department (have not ridden one). If it is, GET ONE!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    yeah pretty keen to hear from someone who has rode one of the recent models...

Absolut SX also may be an option as a fun, do it all bike

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    my boss runs an 07 or 08 mini dh, uses it for EVERYTHING, even 8 hour epic rides, xc stuff, resort riding. He has run single, double and triple ring setups on it, and LOVES the bike