Maxxis Tires

Printable View

• 12-14-2012
    guitarjohn21
    Maxxis Tires
    Maxxis Minions 2.7. Anyone have experience with both the super tacky and the 3C compounds? Have Super Tacky's on my DH now, and a set of single-ply w/ kevlar bead on my AM bike. Are the 3C like the single-ply in traction and wear? Or somewhere in between.
  • 12-14-2012
    DHgnaR
    Kevlar bead and single ply have nothing to do with tire compound. Maxxis offers foldable, meaning kevlar bead tires in both 3C, ST, and single compound. Single ply refers to sidewalls, not tread compound and is lighter and less durable than dual ply, which is heavier but more durable.
    3C are said to last a bit longer and roll better. I shred the side knobs off any softer compound Maxxis tire fairly quickly though so the end up lasting the same for me either way.
    Worst traction: If you're looking for a longer lasting tire, buy single compound (previously their 60A MaxPro).
    Better traction: Faster rolling (?) and designed for longer life than ST, get 3C.
    Best traction: Best gripping but wear fastest, get ST.

So, worst traction/best life, somewhere in between, and best traction/worst life, gotta pick one.
    I recommend running a single compound in the rear and a 3C/ST up front.
  • 12-14-2012
    guitarjohn21
    I ordered two 2.7 3C's online because they were on sale for $35 each + $10 shipping. Figured I'd give them a try for the money. I never see a single compound Maxxis Minion DH tire, where are they sold?
  • 12-14-2012
    b-kul
    2.35 single ply folding were only available in 60a i think. everything else was exo.
  • 12-14-2012
    DHgnaR
    Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarjohn21 View Post
    I ordered two 2.7 3C's online because they were on sale for $35 each + $10 shipping. Figured I'd give them a try for the money. I never see a single compound Maxxis Minion DH tire, where are they sold?

That's a smoking deal on one if not the best DH tire out there. :thumbsup:
    Single compound is found most places that sells Maxxis tires.
    Select menu pull down you'll see two options on Go-Ride, a 42 durometer (ST) and a 60 durometer (now called single compound).
    Maxxis Minion DHF (Wire Bead) - Go-Ride.com Bicycle Shop, Salt Lake City, Utah.
  • 12-14-2012
    mtbnozpikr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DHgnaR View Post
    That's a smoking deal on one if not the best DH tire out there. :thumbsup

I agree with that. Maxxis tires tend to run a little narrower than others (Schwalbe) in my experience; however, 2.7 is a pretty hefty tire. If you ever get the chance I would suggest trying out some Schwalbe Big Betties and/or Muddy Maries. Those two are also very good DH tires. That said, can't go wrong with the Minions!:thumbsup:
  • 12-14-2012
    guitarjohn21
    I want to try Muddy Mary's, but couldn't pass up that deal! Really like Schwalbe's stuff. Have a pair of Hans Dampfs on another set of wheels for my AM bike, best all-around tire yet, and light at about 700 grams. Here's what I got for my 303 R-DH:

New Maxxis Minion DH Mountain Bike Tires Set of 2 26x2 70 3c Wire Bead | eBay