Death By Snoo Snoo

Maxxis Tire Compounds?

I normally ride the Maxxis Minion and High Roller in the super tacky and they just seem to wear out so fast. My question is if I switch to the 60 duro or the 3C will the handling characteristics be that different between the compounds? I ride in socal climate/conditions so its mainly lose powdery dirt over hardpack with little to no mud or water.

mtbr member

minion

Quote Originally Posted by munkyspank
    I normally ride the Maxxis Minion and High Roller in the super tacky and they just seem to wear out so fast. My question is if I switch to the 60 duro or the 3C will the handling characteristics be that different between the compounds? I ride in socal climate/conditions so its mainly lose powdery dirt over hardpack with little to no mud or water.

I too run Minion super tacky's (tubeless version), and they last anywhere from 1-3 days of DH on the East coast when it's bone dry.
    The rear obviously, wears much quicker than the front.

I have never tried 3C, but the concept sounds like it should provide great traction while increasing tread life (I mean that's what their ad says)...

I stay away from 60 duro only because it can get wet, and the harder durometer sucks on wet ladders and bridges.

If you get no rain...the 60 should be ok in the loose dry stuff.

Sunshine & Slippery Trail
    I live in Squmaish and run the 3C minion f and it is sick.....been quite dry here lately and it's not showin any wear yet really! I run the 60 in the rear and have no problems with it in the wet.......can just get a little drifty but it's all good!!

mtbr member
    Same conditions as you in the dusty dry socal. I normally run a 60 in the rear for just goofin off and normal riding, and for race weekends I throw on the 40s. The 60 slides way more than the 40 on hard pack w/ loose dust over it. But I don't mind because it gets me comfy w/ drifting and when I throw the 40s on there it hooks up so well it feels like I'm on rails, which makes riding that much easier on race weekend. My 2 cents.
    Oh also, I've never tried em, but the 3c seems like it really wouldn't do much for wear. I've noticed the 40 and the 42 compounds don't really wear any different, both go pretty fast. And the main tread pattern on the 3C's is just 40 on the side knobs, and 42 in the middle. If anything, you will notice a slight change in rolling resistance... but not much else. But that's just my thoughts and it's no way based on experiance.

ride hard take risks
    3C Minnion F 2.5 is a sweet tire, last like the 60D with the cornering of the 40D. Running the HighRoller 60D in the rear, no prob with slipping in Nor Cal.

Check out the WTB Dissent 2.5, puts the Minnion F to shame.

http://www.wtb.com/tires_dissent.html
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Bottlerockin'
    dogon- Just wondering if you had any experience with the WTB Timberwolf aswell as the Dissent for a comparison? I'll be looking for a new front tire pretty soon but am very happy with my current rear tire (Michy DH 24). I know you have a good comparison between the Minion and the Dissent but what about the Weirwolf? (These are the 3 tires I am leaning towards)

Sorry for the hijack, truly. Didnt have the greatest experience with the 60a duro Minions, but absolutely love the tread. Anything softer than the 60a should be golden

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by coiler8
    dogon- Just wondering if you had any experience with the WTB Timberwolf aswell as the Dissent for a comparison? I'll be looking for a new front tire pretty soon but am very happy with my current rear tire (Michy DH 24). I know you have a good comparison between the Minion and the Dissent but what about the Weirwolf? (These are the 3 tires I am leaning towards)

Sorry for the hijack, truly. Didnt have the greatest experience with the 60a duro Minions, but absolutely love the tread. Anything softer than the 60a should be golden
    Ya actually the TimberWolf I felt was a better front tire than the Minnion but it weighed a ton so I went back to the Minnion but went to the 3C for better life. The T'Wolf has excelent braking & cornering. The Minnion will let go in the corners a little sooner. They are both awesome tires but the nudge has to go to the T'Wolf. The Dissent just flat leaves them both in the dust. It is faster in a straight line, solid in the corners, very flickable from side to side & great braking.
    Formotion Products

Bottlerockin'
    Haha, are there any weaknesses to the Dissent? I think I'm definitely leaning towards the Dissent now (thanks to you!) and it doesnt hurt that I won't suffer the weight penalty either.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by coiler8
    Haha, are there any weaknesses to the Dissent? I think I'm definitely leaning towards the Dissent now (thanks to you!) and it doesnt hurt that I won't suffer the weight penalty either.
    Nothing yet.

Im actually trying the WTB Prowler MX & it is horible in the loose dry silt sliding through every corner but on tacky soil & solid rock it's as good as the T'Wolf & Minnion. For a all around tire that you can go ride anywhere the Dissent is the tire.
    Formotion Products

moaaar shimz
    Review of Minion vs Dissent please, I bet Dissent rolls faster but Minion bites a bit deeper. I used it on a Kona in Whistler and it behaved almost as good as a Minion, but cornered a bit weaker

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    Review of Minion vs Dissent please, I bet Dissent rolls faster but Minion bites a bit deeper. I used it on a Kona in Whistler and it behaved almost as good as a Minion, but cornered a bit weaker
    Have riden all 3 tires on the same trail's that have different conditions & the Dissent stands out as the better tire for me. I have let others ride the tire on a Ibex Atlas & they said the Dissent is a better tire. I wont say that it is the perfect tire because we all have different expectations. My oppinion is if you want a front tire that sticks, steers & can brake the Dissent is a awesome choice.
    Formotion Products

moaaar shimz
    I like a front tire that is precise and confident on rock and gravel and can corner great on loose over hardpack mainly. I've found the Minion to be all I want except I agree it rolls a bit slow

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    I like a front tire that is precise and confident on rock and gravel and can corner great on loose over hardpack mainly. I've found the Minion to be all I want except I agree it rolls a bit slow
    Similar expectations different styles
    Formotion Products

Death By Snoo Snoo
    thanks for the insight fellas, dogonfr you paint a nice picture of the dissent. I would consider them but I run stans on an 823 and I don't think the WTB's are stans compliant. Correct me if i am wrong but i believe WTB tires have a notch in the bead so that stans wouldn't seal up.

In any case the 3c's shouldn't wear any faster than the 40s so I think I will go that route for the rear. As much as I would like a better wearing tire i don't think i want to give up any rear traction while going into a corner with some speed.

ride hard take risks
    thanks for the insight fellas, dogonfr you paint a nice picture of the dissent. I would consider them but I run stans on an 823 and I don't think the WTB's are stans compliant. Correct me if i am wrong but i believe WTB tires have a notch in the bead so that stans wouldn't seal up.

In any case the 3c's shouldn't wear any faster than the 40s so I think I will go that route for the rear. As much as I would like a better wearing tire i don't think i want to give up any rear traction while going into a corner with some speed.
    I dont know about the Stan's stuff because i run tubes but there CS is awesome sent them a email or call.

http://www.wtb.com/info_contact.html
    Formotion Products

all day long

It seems we would ride the same type of terrain - loose powdery dirt over hardpack. DHR/DHR Minions and High Rollers are awesome tires, and I'd have to give little bias towards the Minions. Tires have an interesting effect on traction in the sense that a little can make that much of a difference, but you have to give to get. Case in point, 60a is good for durability, but will not bite as well as 42a, but the 42a will wear very fast. If you have an unlimited source of tires, I'd tell you to get all 42a's.

The happy medium would be the 3c's which I currently have on my bike - Minion 2.5 3c 70a/42a/40a. I have been more than pleased with the way they've performed and I have ridden these hard since 2/07 (except for the recent 6 week hiatus due to two broken ribs).

As mentioned by another poster and, well, duh, the rear wears quite a bit faster, even in the 3c. I'm sure any rear tire in a 42a would get chewed up pretty quick.

....and oh yeah, you ride with me pretty much every weekend, so you can always take a look at my tires when your loading up your truck.

REQUIRED FOR ADRENALINE!!
    I all but hate Maxxis super tacky compound! it wears rediculously fast front and rear no matter which tire you get; pretty pissed off they strayed away from 60a Maxxpro compound. the 3C compound is suppose to us 60a in the center nobs and 42A on the side which I guess is better then nothing... its not like these tires are cheap ether...

take care.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Assist
    I all but hate Maxxis super tacky compound! it wears rediculously fast front and rear no matter which tire you get; pretty pissed off they strayed away from 60a Maxxpro compound. the 3C compound is suppose to us 60a in the center nobs and 42A on the side which I guess is better then nothing... its not like these tires are cheap ether...

take care.
    First, the 3C compound doesn't have the 60a in the middle and the 42a on the sides. It uses the 60a as a "base" layer and has the 42a over in on the center knobs and the 40a over it on the side knobs. And second, Maxxis hasn't strayed away from the 60a compound. They still make them and sell them just as much as any other compound. In fact, Maxxis is making some tires now that ONLY come in the 60 durometer.

REQUIRED FOR ADRENALINE!!
    thanks for clearing that up.... I guess I'll look harder for the Maxxpro..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Assist
    thanks for clearing that up.... I guess I'll look harder for the Maxxpro..
    Every on-line shop I just looked at has Minion DHF's and Highroller's in the 60 duro. Go-ride.com, Jenson USA, and Beyond Bikes.

Pivotal figure
    Didn't see any mention of these but the Kenda Nevegals are actually a really decent front tire and you can get them fairly cheap. I'm in Phoenix and they seem to hook up even better than the Minions. You can also get them in dual compound and Kevlar bead or wire (DH version). I tried them on the back and wasn't too thrilled with the results, definitely prefer Maxxis there.

Death By Snoo Snoo
    I actually am coming off the Nevegals, i used to ride them excusively just under a year ago but i kept tearing the bead and sidewall and the stans sealent would just leak out. after puncturing the area just below the bead where the rim meets the tire on a Brand new set i decided to try something else and i haven't looked back since. I wasn't using the DH cased nevegals so maybe their sidewalls are better but i really like my Minions now.

Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    Didn't see any mention of these but the Kenda Nevegals are actually a really decent front tire and you can get them fairly cheap. I'm in Phoenix and they seem to hook up even better than the Minions. You can also get them in dual compound and Kevlar bead or wire (DH version). I tried them on the back and wasn't too thrilled with the results, definitely prefer Maxxis there.

Pivotal figure
    Yeah, not too sure about using Stan's with these since I'm pretty much a tube only kind of guy. The shop I'm hooked up with does a fair amount of both dedicated tubeless wheels and one with Stan's but both types have problems with certain tire/rim combos. If a tire works for you just stick with it until they stop making it.

mtbr member
    I actually am coming off the Nevegals, i used to ride them excusively just under a year ago but i kept tearing the bead and sidewall and the stans sealent would just leak out. after puncturing the area just below the bead where the rim meets the tire on a Brand new set i decided to try something else and i haven't looked back since. I wasn't using the DH cased nevegals so maybe their sidewalls are better but i really like my Minions now.
    Same here on both accounts, came off Nevagals to Minions. Same reason too, tore the sidewall just a bit too much to seal it back up. Bought some Minions and forgot all about the Nevs.
    The main difference I noticed between the Nevs and Minions is the Nevs may hook up a bit better in loose corners (could have been due to me running 2.7 Nevs {HUGE} and running 2.5 Minions {TINY}) but would let go unpredictably. Push it too hard and you just wash out without expecting it. While the Minions may not hook up as well, you can feel exactly when they are going to start drifting and you can control it when it starts.

ride hard take risks
    WTB Dissent hooks up in the corners even in the loose silt.
    Formotion Products