mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Maxxis tire compounds

Hey guys,

How long would maxxis tires last in 60a compound compared to 42a? Also what is the difference in grip?

Glad to Be Alive
    depends on what you ride how much it will last longer......the 42's will wear a lot faster but are more grippy
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Im only going to be riding them on the dirt, So would the 42a be ok? So how fast would they wear on just dirt?

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle-mofo
    Im only going to be riding them on the dirt, So would the 42a be ok? So how fast would they wear on just dirt?
    if you don't need the extra traction then get the 60's.........don't worry about wear....if you have the 40's just ride

best bet just ride and sample them both and see what YOU like best for your trail
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

-> SickLines.com <-
    I'd go with the 42's personally. The 60's don't have as much grip. Life depends too much on your terrain, riding style etc

Look at the time!
    i was curious about that, too, so i put a minion 42a rear on my FR Hardtail this summer.
    it was heavily worn after like 10 days of riding (this depends on the terrain of course, in my case it was a mix of dirt, gravel, but also very rocky stuff). The rolling resistance is terrible compared to the 60a, so if you climb with that bike, don't even think of a 42a rear.

my suggestion: 42 front, 60 rear
    that's what maxxis recommends, too.
    42a and 40a are not recommended for cold temperatures (below freezing). they get hard as plastic when it's too cold.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

mtbr member
    yeah go with the 42a......every 60a maxxis tire i have ridden or owned i found didn't grip quite has much as i would have liked....but i have rode a couple 42a maxxis tires and i have found they grip much better then the 60a
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    Can I paint your rockring, silly bun salad?

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by xKREDx
    yeah go with the 42a......every 60a maxxis tire i have ridden or owned i found didn't grip quite has much as i would have liked....but i have rode a couple 42a maxxis tires and i have found they grip much better then the 60a

if you are more of a beginner rider get the 60.......matter how fast you think you are going beginner riders still are not fast enough to notice the difference....so go with the stronger tire which is the 60....don't be fooled into getting the 42a...especially for your trails

-> SickLines.com <-
    Here's the skinny. Not sure where you place on the totem pole of skills but this might help you decide easier

60a- made from plastic compound made from recycled legos. Lil firm for my tastes personally
    42a- good race comp and pretty sticky.
    40a- pretty much race only. Race tire, wears fast
    3C- Combination tire: 70a (old lego block) base layer, 42a crown (top of tire), 40a shoulder
    50a - you can get them ordered online (combination of 60a / 42a)
    Last edited by mtb_biker; 12-30-2006 at 06:49 PM.

moaaar shimz
    So 3C is the best together with the 42a in general?