Thread: Maxxis minions

DownhillBAWS

Maxxis minions

I'm looking at getting some minions but I don't know which to get. Should I get the dhr or the dhf's? And what's the big difference?

mtbr member
    DHF for both front and rear, 2.5s, super tacky in the front and harder compound for the back. Good to go!
    Gnar Cal!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    A simple google search will help you out. BUT, most people opt for the DHF for both the front and rear.

From what I remember, the F and R in (DHF and DHR) contrary to popular believe, they don't mean Front and Rear.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    DHF designed for the front; DHR designed for the rear. That's how most people bought them, but Sam Hill began using the DHF in the rear because he liked them more, people followed suit, found they did work better as a rear, and now most people use the DHF tires for the front and back.

mtbr member
    I usually run Dhf's front and rear. The DHR is a rear specific tire and really is a waste of your money. I've heard great things about cut Minion DHR-II's as both front and rear tires however.

DownhillBAWS
    K thanks guys. Looks like I'm getting a set of f's

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have been liking the new rear specific for the back. Hard compound has held up well too.
    Want a one of a kind bike? Message me for a one of a kind paint job.

The internet is a tough place to ride

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I concur, DHFs front and rear.

mtbr member
    DHF/High Rollers are a good combination too. As well as the Specialized copies. I don't know why you feel minions are a must have. There are many other great tire combinations out there from Schwalbe and Continental to name a couple. Not sure what kind of trails you are riding in Maine, but DHF may not be the best tire for your riding (although it's what I run at Whistler).
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa
    ~~~KNOLLY KNATION RACING~~~

Riiiiiide...
    For steep terrain the DHR in the back certainly makes sense since it really does brake quite well. Only thing is that you NEED to cut the side knobs because without doing so leaves it unbearable in hard cornering (as in the rear end will just disappear underneath you!).

Lee Likes Bikes

mtbr member
    I run DHF on both sides of the bike as well. We have had guys try all different tires where we ride, but they always go back to the minions when it is dry weather.

-Brett

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    I took the DHF and reversed it on the back for braking. Felt too loose for me in the regular rotation on the back during braking.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    The DHR 2 makes a fantastic front tire. I've used both the 3c and Maxxpro compound. Similar tire to a DHF, but the cornering lugs are burlier & has wider braking lugs.

A buddy of mine lent me one to use on my trail bike. It's still on there & I bought a 3c for my DH bike. Most profound cornering traction improvement I've ever felt.

You won't go wrong with DHF's either. Great tires.
    Check out my You Tube Channel

Slap happy crappiness
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    Felt too loose for me in the regular rotation on the back during braking.
    You're in the minority. I've been riding DHFs front and rear for over five years, same with a lot of friends of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Mac View Post
    The DHR 2 makes a fantastic front tire...
    ..Most profound cornering traction improvement I've ever felt.

You won't go wrong with DHF's either. Great tires.
    Interested in how you'd compare the two up front? As I mentioned above I've been on the same tire setup for a long time. Tried the new High Roller II in the rear a few rides and didn't really like it. Today was my first ride with the DHR II ok the rear but the conditions were way too sloppy to really judge the tire.
    I've heard good things about running it front and rear.
    Also, what kind of conditions are you liking it in?
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy View Post
    good read, thank you!... i already have the DHF, my Michelin in the rear is pretty beat up and in need of a replacement and the DHR 2 looks like a good choice
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

Slap happy crappiness
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy View Post
    I have, which is partly why I'm trying the new tire out.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

brake later, pedal sooner
    i run a trimmed DHR II on the front... shmobs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DHgnaR View Post
    You're in the minority. I've been riding DHFs front and rear for over five years, same with a lot of friends of mine.

Interested in how you'd compare the two up front? As I mentioned above I've been on the same tire setup for a long time. Tried the new High Roller II in the rear a few rides and didn't really like it. Today was my first ride with the DHR II ok the rear but the conditions were way too sloppy to really judge the tire.
    I've heard good things about running it front and rear.
    Also, what kind of conditions are you liking it in?
    The DHR II on my trailbike is a 2.4 maxxpro, it replaced a 2.5 DHF maxxpro exo. I've been on it for quite a while now. I've also run a DHF 2.7 on my DH bike. I think the DHF is a great tire - especially the 2.7 - but the DHR II just has such impressive cornering grip. I've ridden the tire in all the conditions we get here in Ohio/PA, but we don't get the powder they get out west. So mostly loamy dirt with slippery roots/rocks. We also get hard-packed clay. It's got a recognizable tell when you're pushing it, but it never seems to just fly out from under you. I'd think the beefy cornering lugs would be great in powder, but that's pure speculation. Good on steep stuff due to the large braking edges on the center lugs.

Major gripe - the wider center lugs pick up and throw water & mud maybe a bit more than other tires I've used. Also pretty slow b/c of the large center lugs.

Replaced the DHF 2.7 on my DH bike with a DHR II 3c for a whistler trip over the summer & had no front tire issues at whister. First 2 days riding were in drizzly rain, so all the roots & rocks were slick (dayumn is whistler rock slick compared to the sandstone around here!!) - I never lost the front tire in 5 days of riding. My last day there it was getting pretty dry - I did feel it wander a bit in the dry, but never lost it.

Not really a fan of the DHR II in the rear b/c too hard to get it to break loose.
    Check out my You Tube Channel

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've been running a DHF in the front and Ardent in the rear, Felt really good and stable. But trying to lighten the tr250 this year. Looked at the tire weight and was shocked. . The DHF weighs 2.7LBS and the Ardent 1.9LBS. That's over 4.5LBS of rotational weight.Found some Shwalbe Nobby Nic's which seem really good so far. 2.4 front and rear, total weight 3lbs. might not seem like much, but it really does, the bike is much quicker when I step on the gas.. just my 2cents

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    dh minion front 2.7 high roller 2.5 rear