mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Maxxis minion dh r 2.35 more like 2.0-2.1?

I just got my kona five-o deluxe in the mail and the tires look really skinny compared to my 2.2in wide specialized tires on my hardrock, what gives?

mtbr member
    Yes. This has been the case for Maxxis tires for a long long time. Dont worry though - they work as good or better then other tires.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Don't know about the 2.35's but I heard this when I was buying my minions and got the 2.5's cause everyone said they are the size of kenda 2.3's. The 2.5's turned out to be only a tad bit bigger than my Specialized 2.3's

DenverDH'er
    A Maxxis 2.7 doesn't even measure to a 2.5. This is pretty much true of their entire tire line.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by rep_1969
    A Maxxis 2.7 doesn't even measure to a 2.5. This is pretty much true of their entire tire line.
    I'll go you one sicker.

I put a Minion DHR 2.7 SuperTacky on the back of my bike in mid Sept (Sun Singletrack 31mm wide rim). Something was off, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

Then I measured it against the back tire on my AM wheels that had a Minion DHR Single-Ply 2.5 on a Stan's Flow rim (28mm wide).

The DH tire was run with a 2.5mm kenda DH tube, the AM tire was run tubeless. I measured both at 25 psi. The single-ply tire came in about 58mm wide and the 2-ply DDH tire at about 53mm. I double-checked after a couple rides and this didn't change.

This puts the DHR 2.5 at about 2.2-ish size, and the DHR 2.7 *smaller* than that.

Whatever, both tires work really well though. :^)

SuperInstigator
    On the other hand, I'm pretty sure Specialized tires run a little big. They have with road tires in the past, at least (700x23 was actually even wider than a normal 25) Can't say anything about how they are now.
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

mtbr member
    all you need is a true 2.5 continental black chilli tyre of weather choice, and thats it.

2.5 and 2.7 hr in st suck be composition to rainking/der baron in ANY weather grip wise.

plus much better flat resistance.
    Quote Originally Posted by [Orge
    ]
    This problem could quite simply be solved if people would stop buying Konas.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bxxer rider
    all you need is a true 2.5 continental black chilli tyre of weather choice, and thats it.

2.5 and 2.7 hr in st suck be composition to rainking/der baron in ANY weather grip wise.

plus much better flat resistance.
    Cool story bro.

mtbr member
    I have a 2.35 dhf that I measured at its widest point 2.0. 2.35 high roller is a little better, more like 2.2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by banga
    Cool story bro.
    strangely enough, i cant tell if that's sarcasm?
    Quote Originally Posted by [Orge
    ]
    This problem could quite simply be solved if people would stop buying Konas.