mtbr member

New question here. MAXXIS Holy Rollers... 2.4's or 2.2's????

I just bought a set of MAXXIS Holy Rollers and I went with a 2.4 in front and 2.2 in the rear. I mostly ride Freeride/Street/DJ and a little DH. Should I send back the smaller 2.2 and swap it for the larger 2.4 in the rear instead to help beef it up a bit? How will the smaller tire effect the handling? Will I be limited at all with the smaller rear tire for my type of riding? I'll be putting them on a set of 2012 Transition Revolution 32mm wheels if that helps at all. Can anyone lend some advice?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Well, considering a Holy Roller is a street/hardpack tire, I wouldn't run it at all when you ride DH. These are meant for street or very well groomed dirt jumps only. I think if you take it on a real trail you will hate life and be sliding all over the place.

If you want it just for the street and are ok with the extra weight of the 2.4 then go with that, it will make the ride a little less harsh ( I am assuming you are on a hardtail).

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply! Like I said, I don't do a lot of DH, in fact, I probably shouldn't have even included it for this thread. As you said, it's pretty obvious that these tires wouldn't be well suited (...or even partially suited for that matter) for DH. However, as for the trails and freeride stuff that I ride, I'm in Texas and our trails (in my area anyway) are generally harder packed. I've heard of people getting away with riding trails on this tire, just not the "perfect" application for it.

mtbr member
    why not 2.35 front and rear.... tubles

mtbr member
    These tires only come in 2.4 and 2.2.

Its got what plants crave
    I am a big fan of the volume and grip of the 2.4s

I have trail ridden with the HRs in the front (and a Hookworm in the rear) and they aren't terrible as long as there's nothing wet or super loose. They'd do the job in a pinch, and roll fast as hell. I think the Maxxis Crossmark is loosely based upon the design only in a more trail friendly way, and it's a great tire.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    So you're saying go big in both front and rear?

Life Is Short
    I run 2.4's on the back, really can't much of a difference from 2.2. I also can't the diff between Holy Rollers and the Kenda K Rads either, they also make them in 2.5
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MAXXIS Holy Rollers... 2.4's or 2.2's????-dscf0246.jpg.jpeg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    I run 2.4's on the back, really can't much of a difference from 2.2. I also can't the diff between Holy Rollers and the Kenda K Rads either, they also make them in 2.5
    Do you mean that you can't feel a difference in the way that it handles or that you can't feel the added weight?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Urb-dirt View Post
    I just bought a set of MAXXIS Holy Rollers and I went with a 2.4 in front and 2.2 in the rear. I mostly ride Freeride/Street/DJ and a little DH. Should I send back the smaller 2.2 and swap it for the larger 2.4 in the rear instead to help beef it up a bit? How will the smaller tire effect the handling? Will I be limited at all with the smaller rear tire for my type of riding? I'll be putting them on a set of 2012 Transition Revolution 32mm wheels if that helps at all. Can anyone lend some advice?
    i would run 2.2's front and rear for dj but you shouldn't have a problem with that setup. in general a smaller tire will handle quicker and roll faster whereas a larger tire will make a better contact patch and deal with hard hits better. on dirt jumps you should be running like 60 psi so a 2.2 tire is plenty. a 2.4 is just more tire than you need for dirt jumps and street, or for any fast rolling tire for that matter. also holy rollers kinda suck. pretty heavy and the tread is just ok.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic reducer View Post
    i would run 2.2's front and rear for dj but you shouldn't have a problem with that setup. in general a smaller tire will handle quicker and roll faster whereas a larger tire will make a better contact patch and deal with hard hits better. on dirt jumps you should be running like 60 psi so a 2.2 tire is plenty. also holy rollers kinda suck. pretty heavy and the tread is just ok.
    Will going with the 2.2 vs. the 2.4 be more valuable for quicker handling and speed or would it be more valuable to have the extra cush and contact?