View Poll Results: For the money, which rim is better/ stronger?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mavic EX 721

31 83.78%
  • WTB Dual Duty FR

5 13.51%
  • other

1 2.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Mavic EX 721 or WTB Dual Duty FR

I am planning on getting a new wheel set for my single speed which I do some urban assault and drops with. I want a rim that I never/ rarely have to true and has to be v-brake compatible. So for the money, which rim do you all think is better/ stronger? I am not worried about weight. Thanks.

moaaar shimz
    I have the Dual Dutys and you are better off with the 721s.

mtbr member
    I hope you're new in the biking world. the 721's would be lots stronger, but if you're going to cost the dual dutys are much cheaper.
    2007 Ironhorse 6.4
    2006 Ironhorse Yakuza Bakuto
    2003 Ironhorse Warrior

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I did not know If I was just paying for shaved weight with the 721.

N* Bomber Crew
    I'm going to say Mavic EX 721's, but the Dual Duty's aren't as garbage as everyone plays them down to be. I thrashed a set on my FR bike for 3 seasons and I never had to true them.
    [size=3]Northstar 2008 Riding Crew[/size]

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    I'm going to say Mavic EX 721's, but the Dual Duty's aren't as garbage as everyone plays them down to be. I thrashed a set on my FR bike for 3 seasons and I never had to true them.
    Thats pretty good. The rims I have now are stock and I have to get them trued ever 3 months and I hardly consider what I do freeride.

EastBaySteez
    I've been running dual duty FR's for a season and a half now. Tru'd them once, they are janky as hell but they havn't busted open yet. I dont do sh!t to my wheels.

but go 721's....
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

Bike Hustler
    I think dual duty's get a bad rap because the only time you see them is when they come spec'd on a mid-lower range bike to keep the overall cost down. Does anyone ever say "hell yeah, gotta get me some dual duty's after I trash this wheelset." ?
    [SIZE="4"]SHAM-WOW[/SIZE]

moaaar shimz
    No, everyone say "I gotta get a better wheelset, I just trashed my Dual Duty FRs"

Equal opportunity meanie
    I have Dual Duty FR's on both my DH bike and my 6" bike. I am not nice at all to either bike. I also had the wheels built very VERY well. These are the only rims I've found that I can tag the living goddamn sh*t out of many times each run and not get more than a couple mm of flat spot depth on the rim. They don't crack and hairline like the Mavic ceramic always does.

They're light, strong, narrow-ish (good tire profile), and they're super cheap. WTB's most under-rated product ever. I know that I'm never going to own a Mavic again after denting and cracking every one that I owned through minimal use.

American Icon

721's

I am a big guy and tend to plow through things... the 721's are a fantastic rim. Barely touch them and seem to always be true.

mtbr member
    Wrong post
    Last edited by lalocotequinta; 06-22-2008 at 01:30 PM.

mtbr member
    ive droped 10 feet to flat with my wtb dd's and they stayed true.....if the wheel is built right u wont have any issues and the price is nice

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I don't know anything about the Mavics but i have also have nothing but good things to say about Dual Duty's. Strong and cheap. I think nashbar has the rims for about 20.00 each