Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

mavic 721, arrow frx or some other suggestions??

I am putting together a new wheelset for my 4x do all ht. Fork is going to be fox float rlc 15mm TA front hub is a Hadley 32h rear is going to be an azonic 36h what is the best rim for strength but not boat anchors. Any other suggestions?

N* Bomber Crew
    Maybe DT Swiss EX5.1? I hear those are light and strong.
    [size=3]Northstar 2008 Riding Crew[/size]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    Maybe DT Swiss EX5.1? I hear those are light and strong.
    I am weary of DT rims, I had a set of 6.1d's laced to Hugi fr /440 hubs on my SXT and while light they were garbage trashed them in less then a season. I had 729s on my old demo 9 that I beat on for 3 seasons and they were still in good shape

Pivotal figure
    Check out Spank SubRosa EVO's or even some AtomLab PimpLite's. The Atomlab's are plenty stout but may be getting more into the 'anchor' territory
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    the only spank rims i have seen are 32h only, i need a 36 & a32h rim. I have pimplites now in 32h factory Atomlab wheels they are great but heavier then i would like.

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by quickneonrt
    I am weary of DT rims, I had a set of 6.1d's laced to Hugi fr /440 hubs on my SXT and while light they were garbage trashed them in less then a season. I had 729s on my old demo 9 that I beat on for 3 seasons and they were still in good shape
    I know what you mean with DT Swiss having a bit of a durability problem, but I was tossing out the 5.1 idea cause they're rather light and seem to work decently (Or so I'm told).
    [size=3]Northstar 2008 Riding Crew[/size]

mtbr member
    the 5.1d is the lightest at 500gr then the 721 is 590gr.
    I was thinking about the 5.1 but i need some positive input on them.
    there are the ryhno lyte xl also at 565gr but don't know how durable they are

Rhyno lite are soft, easy to destroy.

Spank is 32h only.

Halo Freedom comes in 36h.

Rim choices are limited with 36h

For your criteria, I woould go with 721

mtbr member
    Halos tend to be in the boat anchor category.
    I am leaning towards the 721 but the DT Swiss 5.1d is superlight even the FR600 is lighter then the 721 but wider then I need and really expensive. After the experience I had with the 6.1d's I am leary. I heard that it was a problem with the early batches and they changed them but I need some positive input on the 5.1.

mtbr member
    azonic outlaws

Glad to Be Alive
    mavic 819's
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chumba15
    azonic outlaws
    They don't make a 32h and its a pinned rim not welded. Only pinned rim I would consider is Atomlab Pimp-Lites.

mtbr member
    Stan's flows
    www.totalbikes.pl - Bike Camps not only in Poland

Meh.
    Outlaws are 36h Supra D rims, they are welded. Supra D rims are available in 32 or 36 hole. Supra BH is pinned.

It would make more sense to use a Hadley in the rear. Better engagement and more durable.

maker of trail
    the outlaws my buddy trashed were definitely pinned... I know this because the rim came apart at the pins

mtbr member
    Id go for the MTX 31's, ive beat my MTX S-types (basically the same rim, except pinned) for almost 2 years and it does not have one buckle or flatspot.

Mate has the Transition 32 wheelset and they are nice rims, have survived his many failed tailwhip and 360 attempts, they dont feel like boat anchors either.

I hear the Mavic 823 are good, but maybe abit heavy

Gnar
    Destroyed my rear DT Swiss EX5.1 after one year on my AM bike. Was a very nice wheel, but can not recommend. Back to Mavic for me.

mtbr member
    Only reason I know the Outlaws are pinned well besides the visible seam is my brother backed over my bike and thrashed a brand new rear outlaw rim it also separated at the seam. Also on Azonic's website the Outlaw is only offered in 36h.

You are right about the Hadley rear I will wait to build the rear wheel but still want a 36h rear. Only reason I was going to use the Azonic hub is because of above incident I have a brand new one. Didn't even get a chance to ride it.
    I was hoping DT improved the strength of their rims but when they are as light as they are something gets sacrificed. I see a bunch of people using the FR 2350 wheelset which is the FR600 rim laced to 440 hubs. The FR600 rim is still lighter then the 721 but kinda wide and expensive.
    Still seems to be a toss up between the 721 the Arrow FRX the Pimp-Lite. The MTX is a strong but heavy rim, I have the original MTXs on my SXT. Don't really know anything about the rest of the Sun line up.
    Last edited by quickneonrt; 08-11-2009 at 08:59 AM.

biking is fun
    Don't get the Arrow FRX unless you need really really strong and HEAVY rims! I had bought some of the 24" wheels for my street/dj bike and i thought they would be light but they ended up weighing 80 grams more than their claimed weight. it was rediculous. strong but too much weight.

I beat the crap out of some WTB Laserdisc FR rims. 2.5 years of shorted DJ's, fast rock gardens, and drops to bad landings. they only needed to be trued once.

721's and pimplites are both good options. im sure either would hold up well.

you should really check out the WTB laserdisc FR's though. awesome rims.

Meh.
    The MTX is actually not THAT heavy. It is pretty strong though, I've got one of the old ones. I think it weighed something like 660g. Even the new 39mm MTX is around 850g... much lighter than the old Atomlab Trailpimp. And I don't think it is any heavier than an Arrow FRX.

If you want the Outlaw stickers, then yes, you'll only get it in a 36h drilling. But the Alex Supra is the same rim and is offered in both 32h and 36h.

I could've sworn the Outlaw used to be a welded rim... Well. I know for a fact that the Alex Supra D rim is welded. The BH is pinned. Perhaps Azonic now uses the Supra BH rim. Could it be that it's pinned and welded? And when it split, you just saw the pins?

Pimplites aren't very light. I prefer 721s. The WTB Laserdisc FR rims aren't anything boutique... but they do get the job done. Sometimes they can be picked up cheap too. Cheap, light, and strong. Got all three.

Meh.
    http://www.qbike.com/product/a/Azoni...Wheelset.shtml
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=23412
    Welded disc-only rim with eyelets

http://www.spadout.com/p/azonic-outlaw/
    Pinned disc-only rim with eyelets

Interesting... looks like they switched at some point.

local trails rider
    I am running a few 721's without issues: I don't do anything big but things get a bit rocky in my area, and I am not exactly lightweight.

I've been wondering why Mavic doesn't do an 821...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by climbingbubba
    Don't get the Arrow FRX unless you need really really strong and HEAVY rims! I had bought some of the 24" wheels for my street/dj bike and i thought they would be light but they ended up weighing 80 grams more than their claimed weight. it was rediculous. strong but too much weight.

I beat the crap out of some WTB Laserdisc FR rims. 2.5 years of shorted DJ's, fast rock gardens, and drops to bad landings. they only needed to be trued once.

721's and pimplites are both good options. im sure either would hold up well.

you should really check out the WTB laserdisc FR's though. awesome rims.

You are right about the WTB Laserdisc FR, I was looking at them but only found 32h till last night I found 32h and 36h at Universal cycles. I ordered them and a Hadley bolt on rear hub because I had a discount cupon. The WTBs are lighter then the others and I used to have the cheaper pinned dualduty fr's and they held up pretty well. The Laserdics are a little wider then the pimplites,frx and the 721 so if at sometime I decide to us the wheelset on a FR/DH bike I can
    Thanks.

biking is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by quickneonrt
    You are right about the WTB Laserdisc FR, I was looking at them but only found 32h till last night I found 32h and 36h at Universal cycles. I ordered them and a Hadley bolt on rear hub because I had a discount cupon. The WTBs are lighter then the others and I used to have the cheaper pinned dualduty fr's and they held up pretty well. The Laserdics are a little wider then the pimplites,frx and the 721 so if at sometime I decide to us the wheelset on a FR/DH bike I can
    Thanks.
    im sure you will like them, i only retired mine recently cause they were 2.5 seasons old and i got some free stans flow rims so i decided to lace them up to my hope pro 2 hubs. im a little nervous for my flows but i never once hesitated to hit anything with my WTB laserdiscs. good rims

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    http://www.qbike.com/product/a/Azoni...Wheelset.shtml
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=23412
    Welded disc-only rim with eyelets

http://www.spadout.com/p/azonic-outlaw/
    Pinned disc-only rim with eyelets

Interesting... looks like they switched at some point.
    weird because i have an 09 set and an 07 set. Unfortunately the 09 rear wheel is the one that is thrashed . My 07s have a seam in the outer rim and inner part of the rim, this leads me to believe they are pinned also.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast