mtbr member

Matador Build fork dilema

I'm planning a buil on a Soul Cycle Matador Now I'm trying to decide what fork to put on. Lookin at Rock Shox Domain 302 0r 318, the Pike or if ebay luck will have it a Lyric, all with U-turn. The frame is built around a 5in travcel fork. I want to have the ability to take it light FR, shuttles and chair lifts which is why I want the U-turn. I'm wondering if the Pike will hold up to DHing and gaps and if the max 140mm will be enough travel. The Domain's only preload is by changing the spring. I'm 180lb so not sure if I would even need to, where as the other two have air adjust. I am open to other suggestions too.

I'm coming off an 03 bighit converted the rear to 8in travel and have a 66rc on the front. Arizona trails but not much South Mt. and planning a trip back to Keystone. I amy keep the big hit for the rockier stuff though.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

rider
    Feb 2008
    pike or 36 talas

RiffRaff
    Jan 2007
    Pike! I have a 426 and love it. If you can get 454, get it. Much lighter. Either way you will not be disappointed.

36 talas would be awsome also but $$$.
    "If Liberace was alive, he'd be proud to ride that mofo."

surf-ride-repeat
    I ran a 36 Talas on mine, perfect...

mtbr member
    Facing the same crux myself. Looking forward to my matador frame arriving in a week or so and trying to decide on forks. The TALAS 36 is my current favorite pick, but may be out of my budget. I am curious how the Matador handles with a fixed-travel 160mm fork, as there is a smokin' deal on a 36 Float down at the local shop. Also considering an older 66, reduced to 150mm. A new 66 ATA would be fun, just to have such ridiculously large stanchions, set it down at 140mm

Currently, I am running a 160 U-Turn Domain on my Uzzi VPX and have been very impressed with its performance for a budget fork. Considering I dented my stanchions and have to replace my uppers anyways, maybe I'll just go with 1 1/8 Lyrik uppers and rock it on Matador.....

This is what I love about bikes - they are like large-scale Erector sets or Legos - they can be reconfigured in so many different ways!

mtbr member
    PDIRT how often did you actualy use the travel adjust?

I have a Pike 454 on my addict DJ and its nice. I am thinking of running a Lyrik. I read you can put a spacer in it to reduce it to 150mm. I have a solo air Lyrik and would be nice to convert to U-turn if possible.

I talked to Chad at Soul Cycles and he suggests not going over 140mm. That is, after all, what the bike was designed around.

HANK how often did you use the U-turn.

So now in my possession a Pike 454, Lyrik Solo Air, & RS Domain 302 U-turn. Need to decide and sell 2. Ordered brakes yesterday just before finding out my hours are gettign cut to 32/week. Guess I'll be jackin my Stealhead for wheels, bars and other bits.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

mtbr member
    Keep the Pike. Why void warranty for [------------] this much travel?

mtbr member
    I used the U-turn ALOT. The Uzzi has been my only ride for over a year now, and I find the travel adjust helps tremendously on climbs. I'm also running a shorter shock on the Uzzi and find that cranking the travel down makes for much snappier handling for smooth, fast trails (18 rd, etc.) Having experienced adjustable travel, it would be hard to go back to a fixed fork, unless it were a fixed-purpose bike.

surf-ride-repeat
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoyR6
    PDIRT how often did you actualy use the travel adjust?

I have a Pike 454 on my addict DJ and its nice. I am thinking of running a Lyrik. I read you can put a spacer in it to reduce it to 150mm. I have a solo air Lyrik and would be nice to convert to U-turn if possible.

I talked to Chad at Soul Cycles and he suggests not going over 140mm. That is, after all, what the bike was designed around.

HANK how often did you use the U-turn.

So now in my possession a Pike 454, Lyrik Solo Air, & RS Domain 302 U-turn. Need to decide and sell 2. Ordered brakes yesterday just before finding out my hours are gettign cut to 32/week. Guess I'll be jackin my Stealhead for wheels, bars and other bits.
    I used the travel adjust for climbing , 100, and trail riding 130, also, rode it at 100 for dirt jumping... worked great. For freerding/DH I used the whole travel 160, it was great. My brother has it now, he has a 32 Talas on it and he trail rides mostly... his build is sub 30 pds and is the perfect all around trail bike for this neck of the woods... oakrridge, falls city,etc in OR.