bob
    mtbr member

Marzocchi/Eliminator wheels/20mm axle problem

I purchased a Marzocchi 55 TST air fork and T.H.E. Eliminator wheelset for a bike my son's building. The fork uses 20mm QR axel and the front wheel uses 20mm thru axel. I just assumed they were compatible as I've never delt with 20mm axels. The axel will not feed through the one side of the hub. What are my options at this point?

Underskilled
    They should be, sometimes there is just not enough clearance (not an issue I have heard about for years though, only really happened when first came out).

first step find out which part is at fault. Try the wheel on somone elses bike, and try their wheel on your fork.

Odds are it is the wheels, in which case send them back as not fit for purpose.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

bob
    mtbr member
    The wheel fits on the fork but there is a "cap" on right (drive) side of hub that will not let the axel pass. It's too small. Is there a conversion?

Underskilled
    photos?
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

bob
    mtbr member
    I'm at work now, so no pics. I'll try to describe in another way. If I insert the axel through the hub from right to left (as it should go), the threads of the axel go in about .5" and then stop. If I insert the axle from left to right (which would lead to a backwards mounted wheel), the axle goes all the way through the hub until the threads hit the right side and stop. It's almost like the hole on the right side of the hub is 1mm too small.

If I understand it correctly, a 20mm thru hub should work with any 20mm axle fork, no matter if the fork axle is QR or non-QR? The hub is a Quando Q-lite I believe.
    Last edited by bob; 01-29-2011 at 07:11 AM.

bike rider
    Sounds like that end cap is a little too small. Take it off and try fitting it over the hub. If it's too tight ream it out a little.
    Keep the Country country.

bob
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    Sounds like that end cap is a little too small. Take it off and try fitting it over the hub. If it's too tight ream it out a little.
    That's it...the hole in the end cap. One end cap fits fine, the other is too small. Why I didn't think of just reaming it, is beyond me. Thanks

Underskilled
    Both end caps should be the same size, sounds like you got a dodgy one.
    Get THE to send you a replacement.