mtbr member

Marz. Shiver DC Crown Question......

Question: has anyone ever seen AFTERMARKET crowns made for the Marzocchi Shivers? Ones that are more burly than the factory OEM ones? It seems as though they would have helpted any torsional flexing...

I know I'm asking some to hop in ye'ol time machine of memories for this data, as the the Shivers havn't been made since 05. But the info would really help me on my bike project. Oh, if possible, keep the "just buy non-inverted forks!!" comments to a minium... (Haters)

Glad to Be Alive
    Honestly the stock crowns are strong enogh. Personally I wouldn't buy a new set of crowns
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    You may be able to contact a company like risse racing or any others and see if they could make a one off crown for it. The only drawback of this that I can think of is it being pricey.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Nope, there are sometimes different top-crowns with more or less drop, but nothing ever custom. It's not going to help that much though to prevent twisting. Maybe a bit, but it's not where the flex is occuring.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Thanks to all for the info and suggestions, MTBR forums are some of the best around for these reasons.

I"ve had my Shivers since late 2004 (black 05's actually) and have never noticed any flex or issues. I love'em as is but was thinking about seeing if there was any merit to the deflection flex that everyone was saying.

Was considering a test "with torsional stabalization" and "without". I was considering an Maxle or Dorado Axle mod also. Probably doing all this crap out of principle, rather than practicallity.

Maybe I'll just go ride instead of reinvent the wheel.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    what folks are sayin and you kinda mostly glossed over is that inverted forks flex more due to the lack of a 3rd brace leavin the stantions to rotate freely in the sliders. you could bolt moto crowns on and it wont make a bit of diff in torsional flex of yer shiver, dorado, etc. the bigger the rider or the more aggressive they are, even burlier terrain will accentuate this feelin of twist between the f wheel and the bars. sorry man but thats physics. maybe its time for the inverted fork to take on a 30mm maxle? hmmmmm..... just how big is a moto axle these days? i dont have a clue
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    hmmmmm..... just how big is a moto axle these days? i dont have a clue
    Typically around 19mm-25mm depending on the make/model. The sliders are usually 46-50mm and steel rather than aluminum which helps with flex more so than the axle diameter on a mxer. I would think the Shivers with 35mm sliders would probably have the least flex of any of the inverted designs.....idk

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I think marzocchi should bring back the shiver with a slightly different chasis. It would be nice to have a fork like his with around 200 mm of travel, and a solid rebound and compression damper. That is the only thing I wish my shiver has is a compression damper.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    dbl post

How much does it weigh?
    Ask Avalanche if they can make you a compression assembly...

mtbr member
    I'm really curious how the New Aluminium Dorito will feel, compared to the shivers of old. With a weight of about 6.5 pounds as compared to the Ol' Shivers 8.5, the weight savings it attractive. If they have the service/seal track record of the old Dorado's, NO THANKS! Thats what I love about my Shiv's: no maintainence, no troubles, just consistant performers.

Glad to Be Alive
    twisting...everyone tries this with fork extended (at weakest point) ....fork is going through travel and is more sturdier
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    good point. if only that would help maninyou seals not to leak oil
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Funny you should mention this..i am currently working with a friend who has a mill and cnc to make a new set of crowns for my marzochhi shivers..its an exercise for me to learn how to use the cnc/mill.

I (with my mates help) am working on making a set of crowns with 3 pinch bolts each side of the crown..similar to some supermoto triple clamps which help stop the front end flexing/twisting and give up to 35% more clamping force

similar idea to these supermoto clamps

Still in the measurements/cad phase at the moment (im a learner) but will be an interesting exercise..

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    ontrack: post pics of your progress!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I will do..as i said I am a leaner and geting my head around how the CAD software works...as soon as i have something worth showing i will post up

mtbr member
    Agreed.... Please keep us posted, and keep those Cad drawings, etc... I may be interested in buying some from you!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by E_braker
    Agreed.... Please keep us posted, and keep those Cad drawings, etc... I may be interested in buying some from you!!!

There is no way i will be losing these drawings lol

If they turn out and actually work then i cant see that it would be too hard to change them for different forks. I am not sure what a cost on them would be..but I will be using CRP 8601 alloy for the final machining...

A few bridges to cross yet and things to work out..but my friend tells me its not hard..but then again he does this kind of thing for a living.

wrg
    wrg
    Quote Originally Posted by ruralrider528
    I think marzocchi should bring back the shiver with a slightly different chasis.

I would love to see the re-birth of the shiver myself. That was the burliest fork I have ever used and I would dig on seeing a new version with modern tech applied to it