mtbr member

Marin TeamDH feedback

Anyone have ridden or owns one of these?
    Whats your opinion? I know that the quad system have been praised for how it works, but i havenīt been able to find anthing about this frame, why is it not so succesful?
    t[SIZE="3"]here are a couple of words that will open you many many doors in life....... push and pull.[/SIZE]

bike rider
    Heavy. Not a big dealer network. Very little marketing.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Heavy. Not a big dealer network. Very little marketing.
    Not sure about heavy. Mine is sitting at just under 38 without brakes, should be just over 39 complete. Not great but not heavy.

Will have to wait until May to ride it, everything is closed in New England.

Reviews are positive but there aren't many.

I have seen one at Highland but didn't get to talk to the owner.

My Quake was great, until it broke.

MGS

bike rider
    I'm not saying that's too heavy to ride but compared to other current frames it's a couple, maybe a few pounds heavier. I'm not even saying it's a bad bike, just explaining why you don't see many. Without a marketing campaign or big name sponsored racers or a presence in most rider's local dealers how are people gonna know about it and be convinced to buy it? A gearbox, incredible value, super light weight, stunning looks*. The Marin just doesn't have anything that jumps out to help it sell when the company itself isn't doing much to sell it.

*Notice I didn't mention suspension design. The Marin is supposed to be good but these days most designs are pretty good to the point where that's not a huge attention getter. I'm under the impression that it has a good axle path and I like that the shock is protected but have heard nothing about its shock rate and it carries all that heavy stuff up high and forward.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    I'm not saying that's too heavy to ride but compared to other current frames it's a couple, maybe a few pounds heavier. I'm not even saying it's a bad bike, just explaining why you don't see many. Without a marketing campaign or big name sponsored racers or a presence in most rider's local dealers how are people gonna know about it and be convinced to buy it? A gearbox, incredible value, super light weight, stunning looks*. The Marin just doesn't have anything that jumps out to help it sell when the company itself isn't doing much to sell it.

*Notice I didn't mention suspension design. The Marin is supposed to be good but these days most designs are pretty good to the point where that's not a huge attention getter. I'm under the impression that it has a good axle path and I like that the shock is protected but have heard nothing about its shock rate and it carries all that heavy stuff up high and forward.
    All valid points. My Quake pedaled very well but that was only 7 inches of travel. As you point out, most current 7 inch bikes pedal well. The shock rate was super progressive on the Quake, not sure about the DH. Always felt bottomless but I was using all the travel.

When I bought the Quake, all the big bike names were sold out. Reading the reviews, it seemed like a good bike - popular in Europe.

The DH frame is seems very well built but only time will tell.

MGS

bike rider
    I'm building one right now. I got to ride one in Boulder City Nevada and it was Freaking Sweet! I bought mine as soon as I got home. I've owned and ridden a few different DH frames the most recent being a Santa Cruz V10 Carbon and the Marin just felt more (Planted) and stable. I personally think it's a freaking ugly frame but I couldn't deny they way it rode and how I felt riding it so I got one.
    I got some pretty decent Niners!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    A guy I know is on his 16th frame in 3 years. The rear end cracks each time, the bolts loosen off after one run to the point he has to use tools after each run to tighten it up or the back end will fall off. He is a talented rider and likes the way the frame feels however he has had nothing but problems with it/.

bike rider
    Your friend (a guy you know) must ride for Marin since he's had this frame for 3 years and it's only been out for less than 1 year. Hell I broke 2 Intense M-1s in a 3 week span, nothing is Immortal but it sounds like it may have been a bike build or maintenance problem with your friends (a guy you knows) frame.
    I got some pretty decent Niners!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I was unaware it was a different frame he had a quake 7.9 his first was in 2008, they have stopped giving him warranty now so he is on his last rear end. I was only posting it since the original poster asked for feedback on the bike, that being said I was not aware of the it was different as they look identical.
    Last edited by The Beater; 12-10-2012 at 08:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Have you though about x-posting about this in the Marin forum? Someone there may have had a bit more 1st hand experience with the frame/bike.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!