Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Manitou Stance Kingpin

Flying Goat
    From what i hear, it seems to be a dependable fork... also check this page out. Manitou Sherman Slider for $250 on Clearence...

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Sale-Clearance.html

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Stock they are pretty crappy but with TPC+ internals? Might not be a bad fork for the price.

Dat mah bike, punk!
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    Stock they are pretty crappy but with TPC+ internals? Might not be a bad fork for the price.

heard they are better than 888's
    every thread needs an uploaded image of one kind or another.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by misctwo
    What's a 888?

Dat mah bike, punk!
    What's a 888?

i have no idea. google that shrizzle and post it...

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    i have no idea. google that shrizzle and post it...
    Oh ok, 888
    Last edited by NorKal; 12-29-2010 at 09:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    My buddy got one for xmas and went off a curb which broke a seal in the fork, whick caused all to leak all over the fork, which basically caused it to lock out.

MOBtown
    OR, you can buy my 2004 Marzocchi Super T for $190 SHIPPED. It comes with FIRM springs and I will send the original springs as well. It is a super (no pun intended) clean fork that feels much better than a Kingpin or Slider, you will save alot of $$$, and it is reliable (something Manitou can't even spell).

When in doubt, go faster
    Oooor, you could go to ebikestop.com and get an 07 Super T for $425 and be a happy little MTBr!

mtbr member
    We had a Kingpin blow in the shop with no one sitting on the bike.

Brackish
    The Kingpin is seriously sketchy, look up the reviews on this site! I had one that came on my Yakuza Kumicho and it bottomed out when I bunnyhopped in my cul-de-sac. I gave it to a guy I work with for free (because he heard I had it laying around and was hot to try it out) and told him "I am in no way responsible for whatever happens to you when you ride this fork, and frankly I don't think you should use it." I wasn't joking. Save another $200 and get an 04, 05 or 06 Jr T. I have an 04 and it's a great, dependable fork that has blasted through Whistler several times, the Shore and and everywhere local to me with no problems. Ever.

Disco-Superfly
    Riding a bike with a kingpin is like jogging with rubber boots.
    Jake
    Santa Cruz V10

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Last edited by NorKal; 01-07-2007 at 12:37 PM.

Bum Buzzer
    Quote Originally Posted by j_a_k_e_69@hotmail.com
    Riding a bike with a kingpin is like jogging with rubber boots.
    Ive never been a Manitou hater (have a Firefly (TPC+) and a Black Elite 80/100 - the Firefly is nice - a little hard to get the raytes right at my weight, but the Black is awesome!)

That said - Anything starting with STANCE should be placed directly into a garbage can.

mtbr member
    Whoever told you that has their head stuck in their sphincter.

The OEM version is nothing short of garbage. Even if the aftermarket version has better internals it is flexy and not confidence inspiring in the least.

I had one come stock on my freeride bike and had ordered a Marzocchi 66 (The sinlge crown version of the 888 which is their DH Racing/Freeride fork) I did three easy trail rides on the bike before the rebound cartrige blew up and it puked all the oil out of the fork and locked up.

Just for posterity, I was a manitou hater long before I got this fork, but it just reinforced my stance that I'll never ride another Manitou product.
    Disclaimer: I no longer fix bikes for a living.
    National Ski Patroller to feed my winter habit.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dwnhlldav
    Whoever told you that has their head stuck in their sphincter.
    Might wanna reboot your sarcasm meter....seems to be down.

Dat mah bike, punk!

it's ok, we all know which fork is better, but Manitou makes some decent stuff nowadays, thier rear shocks are pretty killer; no need to blanket bomb Manitou.

mtbr member
    Eh, sorry about that, I wasn't paying attention. Sarcasm noticed
    Disclaimer: I no longer fix bikes for a living.
    National Ski Patroller to feed my winter habit.

I just got goth served!

No good nope

[SIZE="7"]DON'T DO IT!!!!!![/SIZE]

no, seriously. buy a used marzocchi. i rode my kingpin for a season, with regular maintenance, and the bushings are TRASHED. The stock springs are for someone in the 130# range, the air preload sprung a leak the first ride. The TPC+ damping comes packed with grease. I replace the seals with enduros, got the right spring(has to be special ordered, good luck finding the part number), and then set up the damping properly. but then again, I'm also a bike mechanic. do you want to pay someone to do all that crap for you? After all that, it's sloppy, flexy and doesn't track well.

In the end, my fork was trashed after 8 days of whistler, five rides on the north shore, and about 30 hours of xc type rides. I had ZERO wrecks on this fork, and didn't drop anything bigger than the GLC drops (I'm a whimp). I've had marzocchi bushings last three and four years in a fork and not need replacing. This fork needs a total rebuild, and the bushing system is ridiculous. I don't even want to touch this fork again. Thank god I own extra forks.

seriously, for all the headache, and the missed rides, it's just not worth it. Mine is going to end up on a towny cruiser just for giggles.

I would put one under a kid in the 12 to 14 yr range if they wanted to learn DH, assuming that they would be upgrading in a year or two. Other than that, this fork is not worth the headache.

brian
    insert witty comment here

I railed it like Kong
    I blew up a Kingpin on the seventh run down on my first day using that fork. Seals blew and i somehow cracked the slider tube at the top under the triple clamp. Actually it could not have been me cause i never took it apart. Probably someone at the factory torquing the caps on. Anyway, on the seventh run down the suspension locks up around 2" of travel.

If you're looking for a good fork that Sherman Slider Plus at $250 is a great deal. Manitou switched out my Kingpin for the Slider Plus and i've been really happy with it. And for $250 i might just pick up another one as backup.
    I'm UNIQUE... just like everybody else.

notabouttoseeyourlight
    worst fork i've ever had the displeasure of riding...
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

Portland, OR
    either you guys are all ****!ng tards, or I'm one lucky mofo. the 2005 stance for the 2005 had had air problems. the TPC+ model on jenson doesnt have the problem.

I HAVE ridden a stance HARDER than anyone I've ever heard of or known. and they are just fine. they arent flexy, they dont blow up if you get the right model. guarenteed, I've beat guys on DH courses with 888RC2X or anything else on your bike (passed people at whistler all the time with it) for the one that you are looking at. dont do it. I will strongly defend this fork, only because I've ridden the thing so hard, while I broke my marzocchi 66VF and 888RC on an easier run. the stance can be an amazing fork if you work with it a little. with it actually haveing nicer dampening than SSVF wich marzocchi used to offer on their low end forks. also has more adjustability.

Consider, its a DH fork, not really a big drop fork. it loves high speed runs or anything like rock gardens. I've taken it off up to a 15 foot drop and didnt have any problems.

people are going to get mad at me for supporting this fork. I'm not really supporting the 2005 stance line, though my static is custom made and much better than even a gold label series 1 I bought a 05 stance for cheap, and I'm working on seeing if theres a way to make it a good fork.

I ride a 06 stance, its got different stauntions and its super plush and smooth. it was able to take anything I dished out at it, while my 66 sat aside. now its my backup fork, and I'm confident that it will be just fine if the shiver has a problem.
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mmmm, caffeine!
    Get a 888 man.............

notabouttoseeyourlight
    Quote Originally Posted by todd_freeride
    either you guys are all ****!ng tards, or I'm one lucky mofo. the 2005 stance for the 2005 had had air problems. the TPC+ model on jenson doesnt have the problem.

I HAVE ridden a stance HARDER than anyone I've ever heard of or known. and they are just fine. they arent flexy, they dont blow up if you get the right model. guarenteed, I've beat guys on DH courses with 888RC2X or anything else on your bike (passed people at whistler all the time with it) for the one that you are looking at. dont do it. I will strongly defend this fork, only because I've ridden the thing so hard, while I broke my marzocchi 66VF and 888RC on an easier run. the stance can be an amazing fork if you work with it a little. with it actually haveing nicer dampening than SSVF wich marzocchi used to offer on their low end forks. also has more adjustability.

Consider, its a DH fork, not really a big drop fork. it loves high speed runs or anything like rock gardens. I've taken it off up to a 15 foot drop and didnt have any problems.

people are going to get mad at me for supporting this fork. I'm not really supporting the 2005 stance line, though my static is custom made and much better than even a gold label series 1 I bought a 05 stance for cheap, and I'm working on seeing if theres a way to make it a good fork.

I ride a 06 stance, its got different stauntions and its super plush and smooth. it was able to take anything I dished out at it, while my 66 sat aside. now its my backup fork, and I'm confident that it will be just fine if the shiver has a problem.

i'm not even going to say i'm some great rider (as is often evidenced by pictures of me, i am not)... but the fork that i had SUCKED... the seals would blow out on every single run and it felt like it was full of peanut butter... the adjustment knobs made no diference at all on either end of the spectrum.
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast