Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Manitou Dorado

mtbr member

Manitou Dorado

Who has one and how do you like it. I am thinking about getting one but cannot find many reviews on them.

mtbr member
    I just got one of the Experts and I like it a lot. I am coming from an older Fox 40 and I could immediately tell that it was much more plush. There are not many reviews on them, but all the ones I did find and people I talked to really liked them. They are supposed to require less service then a 40 and you get one free servicing from Manitou within the first year! Now that is hard to beat.

The fork has no hard bottom out and feels smooth all the way through the travel. I have heard some say that they are a bit finicky in getting them set-up, but I found it very easy to do. Their instructions are crystal clear and they give lots of examples and good explanations on each of the adjustments.

Here is mine on my Demo:

-Brett

mtbr member
    I haven't found much reviews since the 2010 carbon version came out. But the ones I have found have been positive and the only compliant if any was the stiffness.

This came out yesterday:
    Manitou Dorado 2013 Expert vs. Pro Downhill Suspension Fork - Sick Lines – mountain bike reviews, news, videos | Your comprehensive downhill and freeride mountain bike resource

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Love my Manitou Dorado Pro. I have the 2012 version on a WFO9 29er. I mostly ride xc but some of our trails are really chunky with big downhills. I have 3 months of hard riding on it and it works great. I dont do jumps though. It was really easy to set up adjustment wise. Very plush. Wouldnt hesitate to get another.

Yes, that's fonetic
    oops, someone beat me with the link.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifouiripilay View Post
    I haven't found much reviews since the 2010 carbon version came out. But the ones I have found have been positive and the only compliant if any was the stiffness.

This came out yesterday:
    Manitou Dorado 2013 Expert vs. Pro Downhill Suspension Fork - Sick Lines mountain bike reviews, news, videos | Your comprehensive downhill and freeride mountain bike resource
    Nice little write-up. I think we will hear more about them in the future as more people start to ride them.

-Brett

mtbr member
    I've been running one since '10 (although it didn't get ridden last year due to injury), and it's been awesome. Only service was to replace 1 blown seal - the 2 guys I rode with had a Boxxer WC and a Fox 40, I'm bigger and tend to ride faster and they both had way more issues than I had. I didn't really notice that flex was an issue - I think that a bit of flex allows the wheel to deflect slightly at speed and keep the bike feeling more stable...

a dad
    Jan 2004
    There is a pretty sweet video of a dude rippin one on pinkbike today.. winter depression is the name of the video, looks like he likes it..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    And here is another one of a guy rippin' it!

-Brett

a dad
    Jan 2004
    I meant winter destruction...

Tyler Gorz - Winter Destruction on Pinkbike

BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    i ride the dorado pro 12" one season and i am happy super fast riding fork in any situation, air adjust for any rider lb. no more arm bumping, easy to adjust "super manual", and no problems since 8mt! i ride boxxer BOS rare and a short time fox 40 rc2 kashima. but i ride the dorade again and again and....

ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Are there any major differences from the 2011 to the 2013 Dorados. Is the 2011 "pro" basically the 2013 Expert? I'm looking at a bike that has a 2011 Dorado. My plan initially was to buy the 2013 pro but if they are basically the same I'll take the complete bike for now and blow my load next year

mtbr member
    There have been no major changes to the fork so far. Colors in logos is one and they did something with the air chamber I think. But otherwise they are the same. The Expert is a bit heavier than the Pro......

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thanks. So I guess I'll save some money this year and the go for all carbon frame and parts and the Dorado pro next year

mtbr member
    dorado expert 6000 alu dorado pro 7000 alu otherwise same tech.

ride.

mtbr member
    The subtle differences are hard to see but Manitou has essentially saved on machine time on the Expert by reducing the amount of machining on the upper and lower crowns. In addition to the machining difference, there is also a matte finish as well as a different aluminum specification used to save some money during production.

Dorado Expert - less machining in the upper and lower crown

Dorado Pro - more machining in the upper and lower crowns

With these changes, the Dorado Pro ends up coming in a bit lighter than the Expert. Other than that, the Pro and the Expert are exactly the same.

Living the High Life
    The 2 posts above hit it. Aluminum difference and less weight saving machining. The internals are the same.

I've owned a Boxxer Team, Fox 40, 888 Evo Ti and now ride a Dorado Pro.

40 = great damping and stiff
    888 = amazingly smooth over bumps
    Dorado = great damping - less harsh feedback
    Boxxer = don't buy one personal here, I just don't like SRAM

The Dorado is not as stiff as either the 40 or 888; but it has better damping than the 888, but the 888 is the smoothest over stutter/braking bumps. The Dorado has a different fell as an invert, less feedback on hits I'd say. As you can see they all have the place they shine.

The problem with the 40 is they don't have a cheaper version like the other 3 brands.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    I just ordered a Dorado Expert last night. Super good deal. Save some $$$ over the Pro for .27 lbs or so difference. I'm cool w/ that. I've only heard great things about the fork. My buddy Todd rides one. He came off of a boxxer w/ the Avy cartridge. He said it is one of the best feeling forks he's ever been out. Guy is a good rider too so i trust his opinion. OP, what bike are you putting yours on?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Subscribed.....Just installed my Dorado Pro on my DHR. It'll be my first dc fork, so can't make comparisons. Looks sick!

mtbr member
    I bought the Dorado Pro and put it on a 2012 V-10 Carbon with a DB Air upgrade. I will post pictures when I have finished putting it togeather next week.

mtbr member
    I'm seeing so many people switching to this fork. Mine is going on my Legend. Before i install i thought i'm getting the frame painted. 3 years of polish and its looking bad. Time for a powder coat for some color.

Will also post when that stuff is done.. thinking next 2 or 3 weeks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    hii

mtbr member
    I am glad to see more people running them this year. I think it was a great Idea for Manitou to come out with this Expert model. The only thing I suggest is changing out the stainless hardware with 12.9 grade. Stock seems super soft and mine began to get slop real easily even with using my torque wrench.

-Brett

bike rider
    What's the difference between the Dorado Carbon and Dorado Pro? No internal changes? Did the carbon have the machined crowns and axle lugs? So is the carbon lighter? Or are the carbon legs the same weight as the 7000 series legs so they stopped making them?
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by Carraig042 View Post
    I am glad to see more people running them this year. I think it was a great Idea for Manitou to come out with this Expert model. The only thing I suggest is changing out the stainless hardware with 12.9 grade. Stock seems super soft and mine began to get slop real easily even with using my torque wrench.

-Brett

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast