mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Magura Gustav M brakes?

I bought a used pair of Magura Gustav M brakes for my commencal and since I have been very busy with work and my family I haven't had the chance to install them so I decided to bring them to my local bike shop to have them installed. I have 2008 Boxxer World Cup Forks w/ team lowers on my 2009 commencal and they told me that there is no adapter for those brakes that can fit my front fork and that the rear will fit but will rub the frame when turning or flexing. Just wanted to know if the shop is correct on what they told me? I don't want to have to buy other brakes after I bought these brakes as I need huge stopping power and I read that these brakes have alot of power.

Proud lame eBiker
    Yes, those brakes have huge power....but are also the worst brakes in setting up. I've dealt with it time and again with their silly adaptors and floating plate application mix-ups.

Good luck.

Sorry I don't have anything to add here other than the shop may not be feeding you a line up BS. But you're welcome to email Magura directly and tell them the caliper # and size rotor and fork and frame you're trying to install and they will be able to answer your questions as well.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Pain Incorporated
    I used Gustav's on a 2006 Boxxer without any problems... I had to use a 210mm rotor, but that's it. I'm not sure on the dimensions of your frame, but a 190mm rotor should work just fine on the rear end, I can't see why it wouldn't work unless the brake has changed since 2006 (which knowing Magura probably hasn't)

I could be out to lunch, so don't hate on me hahaha.

mtbr member
    That is not correct. You have have the wrong adaptors. The issue is these adapters are not cheap. These brakes are the best performance dh brakes, though not light. I have had mine for 6 years and only have bleed them twice. There flat out are made to last.

http://www.magura.com/uploads/media/...ustav_M_04.pdf

Ask gerald at Roy's Sheepshead Cycle
    2679 Coney Island Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11235
    Phone: (718)-648-1440
    Mon - Thurs 10 - 8, Fri, Sat 10 - 6, Sun 11 - 6
    he has installed alot of Gustavs.

mtbr member
    Send a PM to MTBR user Jude@magurausa.com - Jude works for Magura and will be able to answer your question in a matter of minutes.

Even better call him during regular business hours.

I love my Gustavs - have been using them for 5 years now with zero maintenance (ok, changed the pads a few times)

banned
    Mar 2010
    I would say the bike shop are feeding you a line of BS. Magura makes the adapter, just get the right one, and for expensive...Maguras usually run around the $18-$20 mark. Either way worth getting setup, best brake on the market.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I had a feeling that it was bs what they were telling me. Thanks for all your help guys! I will make a few phone calls in the morning to see if I can get that adapter and maybe some extra pads. I have the 210 rotors in the front and rear.

Look at the time!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail-Shredder
    I would say the bike shop are feeding you a line of BS. Magura makes the adapter, just get the right one, and for expensive...Maguras usually run around the $18-$20 mark. Either way worth getting setup, best brake on the market.
    proper Gustav adapters are more like $80, because the floating brake setup is part of the adapter:

and yes, you can get one to fit your boxxer. Gustavs are heavy but awesome. I find them really easy to set up also - just use the washers to center the disc inside the slot in the adapter, and you will never have to touch them again.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs