mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Lyrik RC2 DH coil for Jumps & drops? Or stick with Totem?

Has anyone used a Lyrik RC2 DH 170mm coil for big jumps and drops.

I'm currenly using a Totem coil tapered (mission control) which isn't very plush on DH but is sturdy and really dependable when landing jumps and drops (rider 80kg with firm spring).

I can only have one bike (just got 2011 Voltage FR and put nice parts on it) and would like to lose weight for trail riding but still want ride DH/FR tracks and be able to do jumps and drops .

I've got a new Lyrik RC2 DH 170mm coil wih 1.5" steerer for a great price on ebay but I can't try it out on my bike without swapping headsets from tapered to 1.5" so it will be quite a lot of hassle to give it a go to see if I like it. (Also will lose value if I decide to sell it and stick with Totem)

I'm not too bothered about how it will be for DH style rock gardens I just want to know if the Lyrik RC2 DH 1.5" is ok when landing big drops and casing jumps etc?

Would you ride Whistler on one?

Mr Norbraten seems to be doing ok with his in this vid:
    Coastal Crew - Summer Time Voltage on Vimeo

Only info about the Lyrik RC2 DH coil please (not solo air/2 step/U-turn etc)
    Thanks for any advice

Committed
    The Lyric is plusher than the Totem, and quite a bit lighter. With the 1.5 steerer it should be fine for the riding you describe assuming you are a fairly smooth rider.
    Big jumps and sizable drops into decent transitions should be no problem for the Lyric. Hucking and smashing style riding is clearly the Totem's realm.

Biking Like Crazy!
    Hey aye-aye, do you use all the travel on the Totem most of the time?
    I'm just wondering if you have tried the medium spring if you have it?
    Just a thought.

EDIT: Forgot to add that most 1.5 headsets just need a simple adaptor for the top
    to convert from 1.5 to 1 1/8, so you could keep both your forks if you
    could afford to do so!
    Last edited by blcman; 11-19-2011 at 09:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm (hopefully) a smooth rider most of the time but some drops use all the Totems travel (and when landing short when trying to clear long table-tops )
    I'm just worried that the Lyrik won't catch big sudden hits and will be more dive prone?

I did try the medium Totem spring but it blew through it's travel too easily for me, even with lots of compression, I'm right on the cross-over between springs weight wise so choose to have a harsher fork that pumps jump lips nicely and catches the big drops.

Thanks for the idea re: 1.5" to tapered adapter for the headset, I would be using a hope 1.5" top cup (mix & match) I know hope make a reducer headset but it uses a different cup, I'll get in touch with them to see if they are interchangeable

SamIAm
    ummm......or u could just get new rc2dh guts for your totem and problem solved!
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

05 SxT: totemcoil, dhxair, juicycarbons, LXcranks, X9kit, halo freedomdisc, deity compound pedals

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Yeah, thought about that too but the main reason I want to try the Lyriks is to lose a pound of weight so I can do longer trail rides (only one bike )
    I'm quite happy with how the Totems work, although the RC2 DH can only make them better, i'm sure.