mtbr member

For Love or Money?

We all know and have talked about the Gwin/Trek split and we all know the riders that have long stand relationships/contracts with TWR. At first most called TWR Ass hats for their behavior, but after more info came out things looked a little different. Now that it looks like Gwin was the ass hat. Many sympathized with he due the short career of a WC racer. I'm a football guy so the phrase "strike while the iron is hot" rings in my head. I will never question the motives for money because I sure would like some more myself, but to think he wasn't going the get paid handsomely from TWR is kind of ridiculous. Which brings me to my question "For Love or Money?" Not until this situation arose did I do anything but enjoy watching him ride, but now I view it with a little disstainment (if that's a word) Does he do it for the enjoyment of the sport or merely because he is good at it? A way to financially compensate for a failed moto career? Does he truly have the passion for the sport as any Atherton, Smith, Barel, CG or Peaty. Ok, not many can be put in the league of the last two or three, but I think you get the picture. To those named above MTB racer is just not a job. I don't think I can say the same for Gwin and is that the guy I want to cheer for, regardless if he is an American. I'm willing to bet that pisses of the field, but I guess they just need to get faster.

mtbr member
    Gwin had no signed contract. He has been a class rider and the best in the sport the past two years. This year an hour before his world cup win in Windham NY; he spent ten mins with my kids talking and entertaining them in the Pits. The guy has the right to make as many $s as he can. Passion, the guy has a huge passion to win. Peat was never as dominant as Gwin was these past two years. Why the F do people want to tear down the only great DH racer this country has produced is beyond me.

Uphill? What's that
    Did I miss something..from what I have read Gwin signed a letter of intent with the understanding of having a contract with certain stipulations.about 5 months later he was offered a contract that was less than what was originally discussed so he signed with someone who gave him what he wanted...how does that Make him an ass hat..

mtbr member
    This thread is like two months late.
    Folangag

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzeon View Post
    This thread is like two months late.
    Sorry darkzeon, I've been away. Better late then never right lol.

This isn't about a contract or letter of intent, daisycutter and Rob-Bob. I'm pretty certain that I didn't write about that. If you actually understood what was written you would know that. The biggest loser has a passion to win, that's all he dreams about.....someday. Who doesn't want to win? Having passion to win is not the same as having passion for the sport. It's not about being dominant or making the excuse that he's American so I should excuse him for being a ****** for a brief moment. I'm pretty certain I said many sympathized with him for those reason..didn't I? Kids, there the largest explorted entity on the planet. You can't watch a commercal without seeing some ad using kids to try and sell you something. If it's not the same old gun control laws it a set of new all season radials because you have alot riding on your tires. I know you will misunderstand this next statement but I'm going to say in anyway. Gary Sandusky spent alot of his time helping kids. Can you answer the queston? Do you even know what the question was?
    I didn't know d.o.u.c.h.e was a bad word.
    Last edited by Drth Vadr; 02-08-2013 at 10:57 PM.

Slap happy crappiness
    First of all, you're the worst ****ln poster ever.
    Second: Your grammer and wording undermines whatever you're trying to say.
    Third: In Gwin's case, it's both..
    Fourth: "Disdainment" is not a word, it would just be "disdain" in the context you're trying to use it (I think).
    Fifth: "D0uche" is censored here which is annoying since my old photobucket.com account URL contained the word "D0uche" so I couldn't post pictures from it unless I created a new account.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    ^ What he said. And please use paragraphs (see second point).

mtbr member

Re: For Love or Money?

Is this pinkbike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DHgnaR View Post
    First of all, you're the worst ****ln poster ever.
    Second: Your grammer and wording undermines whatever you're trying to say.
    Third: In Gwin's case, it's both..
    Fourth: "Disdainment" is not a word, it would just be "disdain" in the context you're trying to use it (I think).
    Fifth: "D0uche" is censored here which is annoying since my old photobucket.com account URL contained the word "D0uche" so I couldn't post pictures from it unless I created a new account.
    Thanks DHgnaR, It's good to know I'm the best at something. Even if it means being the worst. Sometimes an insult can be the best complement.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Honestly, I don't think we will ever know the whole story.. I just make the assumption that both Gwin and TWR are equally part of the problem and it was time to cut ties with one another. I am sure its not as simple as money otherwise TWR would have paid up.

Maybe its like what came first the chicken or the egg. Gwin thinks he made TWR into a powerhouse and TWR thinks they made Gwin into an unstoppable machine.. The person that should get as much money as Gwin and TWR is John Tomac..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

RideDirt
    If a company made me an offer that was better then what i was making in a sport/JOB, yes i would DEF like to make more money of course. Let me ask you this , if you had the option to work at 2 places doing the same work and got the same treatment and 1 place pays you 60k and the other place pays you 80k what would you take ? These athletes have the same bills as we do and a family to feed . Yes they have to try to make as much money as they can , what happens if while riding you get into a bad crash and your career is done ? Then what . So yes , its all about the money but im sure deep down inside they all have passion otherwise they wouldnt be at the level they are at .

Yes, that's fonetic
    So the Atherton's weren't asshats for leaving Commencal? You know TWR dropped their XC team this year? What about those racers that got dropped, think they have the passion you mentioned? Too bad for them, huh?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    If a company made me an offer that was better then what i was making in a sport/JOB, yes i would DEF like to make more money of course. Let me ask you this , if you had the option to work at 2 places doing the same work and got the same treatment and 1 place pays you 60k and the other place pays you 80k what would you take ? These athletes have the same bills as we do and a family to feed . Yes they have to try to make as much money as they can , what happens if while riding you get into a bad crash and your career is done ? Then what . So yes , its all about the money but im sure deep down inside they all have passion otherwise they wouldnt be at the level they are at .
    I think I stated I love money also. So why not use the leverage to get even mo money, if thats the case.
    Thanks for the answer aedubber, but for the now, I am still of the opinion that he only does it because he's good at it and with that comes the money. If there was no bike to borrow and no buddy to urged him, would he be in the sport? I think the answer is no.
    P.S. I'm thankful for that because I sure like his riding, but I'll route for Steve Smith and true dedication.

Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    So the Atherton's weren't asshats for leaving Commencal? You know TWR dropped their XC team this year? What about those racers that got dropped, think they have the passion you mentioned? Too bad for them, huh?
    The Atherton are obviously not ass hats. They received a warm loving goodbye from Commencal. Thanking them for there dedication to the sport and their PrOfEsSiOnAlIsM.
    TWR dropped the XC program to focus on gravity because they just thought they re-signed... guess who, and wanted to make sure he had total support.
    That least TWR did this shortly after the season so riders would have plenty of time to find teams, but that would not be much of a problem considering the riders were good.
    But Gwin on the other hand made his decsion at the 23hr. Literally a no call no show, and put a whole program in jepordy.
    I don't care about the contract side and all that has happened. It made me look at it through a different lens. I'll leave it to everyone else to drop down and get their eagle on.
    Last edited by Drth Vadr; 02-11-2013 at 02:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    If there was no bike to borrow and no buddy to urged him, would he be in the sport? I think the answer is no.
    What's wrong with a friend getting him into cycling? Many many people get into the sport through friends taking them out for bike rides. I've gotten people into the sport that way. If my neighbours hadn't been into mountain biking when I was a kid then I might not be so obsessed with biking now.

When I see Gwin ride he sure looks like he loves doing it. I also don't think many people would put as much effort to something as he does without being passionate about it.

You're free to speculate all you want, this is the internet, we all do it. Hell, I just did it in the paragraph above. It's all speculation though. None of us know enough details to make a fair judgement on Gwin or TWR.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    What if you agreed to a certain salary and "benefits" and you thought you had a deal with your company and when the contract came it was different, would you sign it?? Would you feel taken advantage of perhaps? Would you maybe look at other options (assuming you were a marketable person)?

All Speculation obviously, but OP, you don't know all the true details, but this is what sounds like happened from Gwin's statement.

I once had this happen, was making $28 per hour at my job, was told I was going to get a raise to $32 as I was doing good things. Contract showed up and they decided to go the salary route instead of hourly and it cut my pay 20%.. guess what, I found another job quickly..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin