mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Lot size for backyard Freeride Park?

I'm in the market to become a homeowner and I'd like to hear how much room you all think I would need to build a little freeride park in the yard. Everything I have been looking at is no less than a 1 acre lot and some are up to 2.5 acres. I know some ingenuity would have to go into it to get everything to fit and flow right, but I think its feasible. The biggest issue is finding a place with a little slope too it. It has proven to be a little difficult, so a couple truck loads of dirt may have to be brought in. Also, is there anywhere you can get plans for a freeride park? I know there are plenty of places on-line to get pump track plans but haven't seen much in terms of teeters, wall rides and the like.

Moose Member
    I'd pick the lot with the most slope... you have no idea how horrible a flat ground park is, until you're pedaling as hard as you can into a feature for the 10th time. With slope you can build drops, jumps, everything easier. from a person who lives in a completely flat town, slope is good.

life on 2 wheels
    Apr 2012
    if youre wanting a park like what i want to build, you easily need 2.5 acres to have enough space for multiple runs and a pump track somewhere in there. but i want to have a decent ravine in there with a small creek or river. that way can build some massive hips with minimal dirt moving.

main thing that youll need to look for is a place that isnt governed by associations and city regulations.

Moose Member
    here's what mine looks like... its hard to do more than 1 jump in a line cause its so flat

Lot size for backyard Freeride Park?-p1016019.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    That looks pretty amazing moosey, but I have a similar park near me (at a buddies), and although you do lose a bit of a speed after the first real jump, if you pump it, and get a pedal stroke or two in after it, you shouldn't have much of a problem hitting another decent sized jump. Alot of Dj places are on flat ground.

Moose Member
    you can put in two or three pedal strokes after the first jump, but only have enough speed for a medium sized jump, not another big one. We are planning to bowl out the bottom of the landing, and have it lead strait into a roller before the second jump. We are good at shaping jumps, but still experimenting with rollers. We should be able to get it to work though.

Work has slowed down since I been at college, and one of my friends broke his wrist...

mtbr member
    If you build a big drop in area, you can get speed without moving 65 million pounds of dirt.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa
    ~~~KNOLLY KNATION RACING~~~