mtbr member

Losing stoke (And/Or getting old)?

Don't know what's going on but I'm not feeling a lot of stoke riding lately. Just as a background... I've been riding mtb on a regular basis for 5 years, and a fair amount of DH the last 3. I'm turning 47 this year so I'm not aggressive or go big but in the past, I used to feel a good level of nervous excitement before and during rides. Lately, it just hasn't been the case. I think the only rare time I felt that way was when I hit something new, and honestly, it doesn't feel as big a deal as it did before. Even trying out new trails doesn't excite me as much. BTW, before people suggest I should just go bigger, I think I've reached a mental point that a certain type/size jump is probably beyond the reach of my skill/courage/risk level... struggling to get there just gets too exhausting, you know?

Is this just a phase? Or is it because I am not as aggressive as I was before? Perhaps its because I've been doing the same trails?

Anyway, I wonder if other people go through similar stages. If so, how do you snap out of the doldrums? I've just committed to learning how to manual so I can improve as a rider (30 day wheelie/manual challenge). I hope that helps get the stokage up... lol!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Are you riding solo or with others?

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    I'm 50 and a hopeless gear junkie. With all the new stuff coming out these days...the stoke NEVER dies!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    Are you riding solo or with others?
    It's a mix. Sometimes I ride solo, sometimes it's a group ride. I definitely enjoy the group rides more, if merely for the guy banter. LOL!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    I'm 50 and a hopeless gear junkie. With all the new stuff coming out these days...the stoke NEVER dies!
    That's probably my other problem. I'm wired to be cheap, and unless I really need it, NOTHING gets replaced or upgraded. =P

BTW, I have enough bike toys to be preoccupied for a while. A Franken-XC bike (Kona Out-of-Bounds hardtail), a trail bike (SC Heckler) and a DH bike (Turner DHR).

Off the back...
    I wouldn't worry, it happens to everyone...

Joking aside, it's not natural to be stoked 100% of the time. You mention only getting excited about new trails, and that's totally understandable. You also don't necessarily want to go bigger, which is okay. Have you thought about bringing a knife to a gunfight? Instead of taking your DHR out, take your Heckler instead. It will be a whole new trail - stuff you just plowed through on the Turner will be a different experience on the trail bike. I wouldn't recommend hitting the hardest DH track in the area to start, but something that's easy on the DHR will likely be way more exciting on the Heckler.
    dgsmills.com
    #pinkrobeyyc
    CMBA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe View Post
    I wouldn't worry, it happens to everyone...

Joking aside, it's not natural to be stoked 100% of the time. You mention only getting excited about new trails, and that's totally understandable. You also don't necessarily want to go bigger, which is okay. Have you thought about bringing a knife to a gunfight? Instead of taking your DHR out, take your Heckler instead. It will be a whole new trail - stuff you just plowed through on the Turner will be a different experience on the trail bike. I wouldn't recommend hitting the hardest DH track in the area to start, but something that's easy on the DHR will likely be way more exciting on the Heckler.
    That's a pretty awesome tip... I'll do that more often. As cool as my Heckler is, however.. I love the DHR more. =)