mtbr member
    May 2011

Looking for a full suspension bike for downhill riding --- Suggestions Please!

Hi everyone,

My friend and I just started doing downhill mountain biking. We had been using my 2 hard tail bikes but realized they won't work, so, we're looking into full suspension bikes.

We don't have a ton of money to spend right now so, we're looking for something in btwn $100-$400

This is what we're looking for. Now, i know we can interchange parts and what not bc we've already talked about doing that.

But, we're possibly looking for disc brakes or hydralic disc brakes, would like to have adjustable front and rear shocks.

I forget what my friend said but I think he said air shocks?!? does that sound right?

We're looking for front shocks that are longer as we believe they'd be better.

If anyone has any suggestions or thoughts or anything that could help us out in determining a good bike to get, we'd really appreciate it.

We're new to doing downhill riding on trails.

Also, if you could suggest some bikes to us, that would also really help us out.

We saw a Mongoose bike tonight at Toys R Us that was full suspension but, it didn't feel like it had any give to it.

Glad to Be Alive
    buy used

and 400 bucks will get you junk or 10 plus years old
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Don't buy a toys r us bike and try to ride it on a legitimate downhill trail, it will not end well. Save up some more money and buy a used bike off Craigslist or pinkbike. You could possibly find a older specialized big hit for cheap, or older DH rigs.