always licking the glass

Looking for DH bike, advice on what type

So right now, I'm riding a megatrail at Trestle (170mm travel), and for the blues, it handles well. I don't do much trail riding and I'm mainly at the bike parks these days, so I wanna get thoughts from you guys.

However, I'm thinking for other DH trails like angel fire, keystone, harder trestle trails, and other parks, I want to be on a DH bike.

I'm currently looking at demoing some DH bikes this year:
    - Norco arum
    - giant glory
    - GG DH

Anything else I should add to the list?
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    Writer, MTB4Her.

mtbr member
    YT Tues and Canfield Jedi would be on my list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Bikes

2018 Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+
    2016 YT Tues AL
    2016 Banshee Rune

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by Junersun View Post
    YT Tues and Canfield Jedi would be on my list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Awesome thanks. I'll add them too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    You really can't go wrong on most modern DH bikes IMO. The YT is hard to beat for the bang for the buck. I'm a Banshee fan and on my second Legend. You want to buy new? I've seen some round tube DHR's for sale that are still rad.

Glad to Be Alive
    I always say this....A DH bike is a big investment...don't waste your money....best bet - buy used....that way you don't have a brand new bike you trash...thrash an old bike for a year and then sell it for almost same price...then after that year riding you will have a better understanding of what you want
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 07-16-2017 at 02:48 PM.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

always licking the glass

Looking for DH bike, advice on what type

Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    I always say this....A DH bike is a big investment...don't waste your money....best bet - buy used....that way you don't have a brand new bike you trash...thrash and old bike for a year and then sell it for almost same price...then after that year riding you will have a better understanding of what you want
    Thanks SMT. whatcha riding these days?

Yeah true. I've had a couple of DH bikes, and I really didn't like the way they felt. The one I liked the most was a giant glory 26" I rented at Northstar years ago. The Demo 8 26" I had felt twitchy to me, which is really weird to say for a DH bike but it jumped great.

I'm sure a lot of people don't like the bigger wheels (27.5), but 27.5 with wide rims is my sweet spot. And a I'm a huge fan of a low bb,
    which is why the megatrail is working for me for now. But I'm hoping as my skills improve and I get more time at angel fire, trestle, and grandby, I'll have a better idea of what I want.
    Writer, MTB4Her.

My arm hurts a little
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post

Yeah true. I've had a couple of DH bikes, and I really didn't like the way they felt. The one I liked the most was a giant glory 26" I rented at Northstar years ago. The Demo 8 26" I had felt twitchy to me, which is really weird to say for a DH bike but it jumped great.

I'm sure a lot of people don't like the bigger wheels (27.5), but 27.5 with wide rims is my sweet spot. And a I'm a huge fan of a low bb,
    which is why the megatrail is working for me for now. But I'm hoping as my skills improve and I get more time at angel fire, trestle, and grandby, I'll have a better idea of what I want.
    SMT rides a carbon v-10 and a Canfield balance I think.

Road with him the other week. He still has it!
    Hardtail downhill
    https://youtu.be/sXhWDoz7_CM
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    tresspassing, thievery and poaching is all part of a DH'ers life

mtbr member
    What kind of shock do you have on the megatrail? If its air I would put a coil on it and skip the dh sled. Having a dialed suspension setup and good geo seem to matter to me more than the amount of travel unless your doing big hucks to flat.

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by kitejumping View Post
    What kind of shock do you have on the megatrail? If its air I would put a coil on it and skip the dh sled. Having a dialed suspension setup and good geo seem to matter to me more than the amount of travel unless your doing big hucks to flat.
    Yeah actually this is the direction I think I'm gonna go. I just put a softer spring in the back to see if that makes the bike feel better for DH. I think that may have been the problem: too stiff of a spring.
    Writer, MTB4Her.

Glad to Be Alive

running Canfield Balance for enduro (Love it) ,....27.5 Santa Cruz V10 has a ton of pedal/chain feedback looking at others
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Glad to Be Alive
    Yeah actually this is the direction I think I'm gonna go. I just put a softer spring in the back to see if that makes the bike feel better for DH. I think that may have been the problem: too stiff of a spring.
    actually, I wouldn't spend no more money to make a megatrail dh worthy....I am not a fan of the suspension design...i would for a good used dh bike for under 1500