mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Looking for a cheap downhill bike

I'm looking for a cheap full suspension downhill bike in good condition thats well kept and serviced. my spending limit would probably be $400-$500 it has to have disk brakes hydraulic brakes preferred. A nice older downhill bike.

RideDirt
    And then you woke up ? Lol goodluck

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    what?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    He's implying that your price point is not realistic. Go here and see what you can find in your price range:

Used Freeride/DH Bikes - Page 1 - Pinkbike Buy&Sell

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Yeah, no such monster. Used is the way to go for your first downhill bike, but I can't imagine you will find anything decent in that range. Maybe $800-$1000 at the end of the season, but this is a bad time to be looking. The old Specialized Big Hits pop up for good prices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

Rogue Exterminator
    Looking for a cheap Ferrari in good condition that's well kept and serviced. My spending limit would probably be $4000-$5000

Hey, since we are dreaming, I might as well reach for the stars.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Nickel Havr
    It's not impossible...
    I found a '05 Giant Faith 2 in great shape locally for $600...

Good luck with your search!
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

mtbr member
    yep, look for a used bike on Craigsist, Pinkbike, or here on MTBR's classifieds. Your price will make it difficult to find many options, but it won't be impossible. Just make sure it is on good shape (no major dents or dings, no leaky fork seals, bent things, etc). Feel free to post any questions here about bikes you are considering. These forums have a lot of (often painfully) honest people that will tell you if you are going to waste your money or not. Good luck!
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    hate to break it to you dude but the words "cheap" and "downhill" do NOT belong in the same sentence. even if you found one like that for cheap you still need gear, money for maintenance etc. and trust me you don't want to cheap out on a helmet, all sports i play that require face coverage i will buy as nice of a mask/helmet/goggle as i can because it makes life a hell of a lot better!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaveli View Post
    hate to break it to you dude but the words "cheap" and "downhill" do NOT belong in the same sentence. even if you found one like that for cheap you still need gear, money for maintenance etc. and trust me you don't want to cheap out on a helmet, all sports i play that require face coverage i will buy as nice of a mask/helmet/goggle as i can because it makes life a hell of a lot better!
    Yeah, im not looking for a downhill bike anymore i decided im going to race cross country Thank you though!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew44x View Post
    Yeah, im not looking for a downhill bike anymore i decided im going to race cross country Thank you though!
    Wow, that's a change in direction!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Wow, that's a change in direction!
    Haha yeah there isnt really any places to ride downhill where i live in Augusta, Maine and im only 14 so i dont have a car to go places but there are plenty of crosscountry races!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    You could always go for something in between like a trail / AM bike, not great for competitive XC, but for just riding and having fun, it'll get you to the top of the hills and be a lot of fun on the way down.

I tend to ride my AM bike more than the DH bike and XC bike regardless of what we are actually riding trail wise as it's simply fun.