mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Looking to Build a Meta 4X VIP (need feedback on fork)

I'm looking at building a new Commencal Meta 4X VIP and need a little advice on what fork to match up to this frame. It will see a variety of duty, but is in no way going to be an everyday bike. I'm planning to use it for some DS, 4X, Pump track, and maybe even get into a little DJ. I'm getting a little older, so I feel like I need the FS to take the edge off, otherwise I would jump on a hardtail. I'm also pretty light at about 150-160 pounds, 6' tall. I'd like to keep the build on the lighter side as well. I have most of the other parts already (XO shifter/der, Elixer CR FR/RR, I have a Saint crankset as well, but may go to something a bit lighter).

Any help would appreciated.

Rubberneck Goose
    How about the new fox 831?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    It was on my short list. I'm trying to find more cost effective options, if there are any. Has anyone spent some time on the 831? I was also considering one of the Floats and just lowering it. I have a TALAS 140 RLC on my trail bike and a 40 on one of the DH rigs. Definitely a fan of the Fox gear I have been running for the past year. I also have a couple of 15QR wheelsets, so that would make things easy too. I have multiple 20mm front wheels, but the rears that go with them are all 150x12. Thought about maybe a Reba or a Pike, although the Pike is a bit on the heavier end of the spectrum. Is there anything I'm missing?

mtbr member
    831, I think, would be a wise choice, but you never know with 1st time product... Could be hit or miss. I would not fear too much knowing Fox generally stands behind their products. Also, remember that the 831 has a MSRP of about 800$!! It's a bit heavy on the wallet for rather simple 100mm 4x fork. I personnaly ride the Pike. Heavy, yes, a bit more than a Fox. Really stout and reliable. Simple to set up. Adjusting the travel is a breeze. I could really recommend this fork for 4x/ds but I could see how shaving a few pounds would be a good thing.

BTW, have you read about the issues of the Meta 4x cracking? Seems to be a regular occurance. Maybe they have fixed the issue for 2010?

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zoro
    831, I think, would be a wise choice, but you never know with 1st time product... Could be hit or miss. I would not fear too much knowing Fox generally stands behind their products. Also, remember that the 831 has a MSRP of about 800$!! It's a bit heavy on the wallet for rather simple 100mm 4x fork. I personnaly ride the Pike. Heavy, yes, a bit more than a Fox. Really stout and reliable. Simple to set up. Adjusting the travel is a breeze. I could really recommend this fork for 4x/ds but I could see how shaving a few pounds would be a good thing.

BTW, have you read about the issues of the Meta 4x cracking? Seems to be a regular occurance. Maybe they have fixed the issue for 2010?

Good luck!
    Thanks for the feedback. So far the info that people have offered up has parallelled my thoughts. The 831 is at the top of my list, but unless I can find a smoking deal on one, I'll go a different direction. I think my second choice might be a Float 140/150 RLC '09 or '10 that I can lower to 100 or 120. I might be able to get access to a deal on a new Rock Shox, Marz, Magura, or possibly a couple of other brands, so I'm trying to figure out what the best options outside of the Fox stuff might be. Anybody running anything other than an 831, Float, or Pike?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    BTW, I have seen a couple posts about Meta 4Xs cracking, but it also sounds like the number of occurances has been exagerated. I tend to be pretty easy on gear regardless of sport. I also have access to some pretty good pricing on a new Commencal, but I'm open to other possibilities. I had also considered an Evil Faction or a new frame they have coming out called the Order (both hardtails), but I think I'm leaning toward a light, short travel FS.

mtbr member
    I have a Zoke DJ on my DS/Dirt Jump bike and I love it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by godfather
    BTW, I have seen a couple posts about Meta 4Xs cracking, but it also sounds like the number of occurances has been exagerated. I tend to be pretty easy on gear regardless of sport. I also have access to some pretty good pricing on a new Commencal, but I'm open to other possibilities. I had also considered an Evil Faction or a new frame they have coming out called the Order (both hardtails), but I think I'm leaning toward a light, short travel FS.
    I'm sure that the cracked Commencals are over-represented on the Internet. Most people who's frame crack want to share it with the others to know if it's a known issue, a common occurance, etc... I would not be worried too much with that, just wanted to give the heads up.

On another note, have considered the Morewood Ndiza? Proven geo and reliability. SOLID bikes. Been riding one for 3 years and nothing but praises for the bike. Super easy to maintain with the simple pivot interface.

Any more news on the Evil Order? 4x bike or more of a freeride dj hardtail?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have seen a lot on the Ndiza. Almost everything I've heard has been positive. Problem is I don't have access to the same kind of deal on Morewood that I can get on the Commencal and other brands. I can get a new Meta 4X for about what a used Ndiza would cost me. There are only a few frames that I have heard people talk about with the same enthusiasm as bikes like the Ndiza, Meta 4X, or SX Trail. Versatile, playful, fun!

As for the Order, I spoke with some folks at Evil a couple of weeks ago. It is an alloy hardtail frame with geometry that is very similar to the Faction and the same adjustable drop outs to change up the wheel base and easily switch between geared and single speed. The word is that the Evil team will be rocking the Order as their frontline 4X bike, but I think it will be just at home as a DJ rig. From what I've heard, the Faction is quite at home coming off transitions and into the air.

mtbr member
    What about a lowered Fox 36 Float? Stiff, fairly light and as others have said, Fox generally stands behind their product. A number of guys I know locally(to me) run a lowered 36 on their DJ bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by juanbeegas
    What about a lowered Fox 36 Float? Stiff, fairly light and as others have said, Fox generally stands behind their product. A number of guys I know locally(to me) run a lowered 36 on their DJ bikes.
    I had considered that as well. There is a bit of a weight penalty vs a 32 float, but also a plus in rigidity. I'm not sure I need the extra beef of a 36, but if I run across an RC2 that's nice for the right price, I would definitly consider it.

Any thoughts on a TALAS? I thought about grabbing a 32 float rlc to stick on my xc/trail bike that currently has a 32 talas on it. The weight savings would be more applicable on that rig and I rarely if ever run the travel adjust on that bike. The 120/100 settings could be useful on a meta 4x.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by godfather
    As for the Order, I spoke with some folks at Evil a couple of weeks ago. It is an alloy hardtail frame with geometry that is very similar to the Faction and the same adjustable drop outs to change up the wheel base and easily switch between geared and single speed. The word is that the Evil team will be rocking the Order as their frontline 4X bike, but I think it will be just at home as a DJ rig. From what I've heard, the Faction is quite at home coming off transitions and into the air.
    Thanks for the answer. Sure would love to hear a release date for that bad boy!

Anyway, not wanting to derail the thread too much

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zoro
    Thanks for the answer. Sure would love to hear a release date for that bad boy!

Anyway, not wanting to derail the thread too much
    Looks sweet for sure. I was told they are looking at 60-90 days before they see them in country. If I hear anything more, I'll try to spread the word. One of those would sure look sweet sitting next to my Revolt.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    BTW, I found a decent deal on a new take-off Float 140 RLC 15QR ('09), so it looks like I'll pick that up and figure out which bike gets what once it gets here.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback!

yeah it still hurts...
    Oct 2009
    i thought i saw a used ndiza in the classifieds here...maybe check it out? something like $200, looked to be in pretty good condition.
    who put that tree there?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ineedanewbike
    i thought i saw a used ndiza in the classifieds here...maybe check it out? something like $200, looked to be in pretty good condition.
    Wow, that's crazy cheap. I'll have to take a look.